PDA

View Full Version : RX3 Aftermarket: Front Brake Calipers, Rotors, and Brake Pads

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 07:10 PM
My front brake works well, and I am pleased with it. :) However, CSC is also developing better, aftermarket brake pads for the stock, front brake caliper. In addition, CSC is also developing an improved, aftermarket, front brake rotor. :)

Also, you can purchase a different front brake caliper and adapter from Taobao.

https://gd2.alicdn.com/bao/uploaded/i2/TB1jPh5JpXXXXaaXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

In addition, you can also purchase an oversize, front brake rotor, which fits another front brake caliper.

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/1661213313/TB282TcepXXXXamXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1661213313.jpg

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/1661213313/TB21R58epXXXXbxXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1661213313.jpg

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Because of past problems with asymmetric, front brake rotors and pulsing of the front brake, I am more interested in this thicker, front brake rotor, which has increased surface area for braking. :) This brake rotor is 5 mm thick, and has mounting holes to accommodate both the 5-bolt, cast aluminum hub, and the 6-bolt, spoked hub.

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i1/25665657/TB2heH7fXXXXXcPXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!25665657.jpg

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 07:14 PM
I also like the 8 mm, flanged bolt used to mount this brake rotor. The hex head bolt will be much easier to remove than the stock, Allen head bolt. ;)

detours
09-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Great research!

I also have the pulsating front brake issue, and CSC kindly sent me a replacement rotor. But if they're also developing a new brake pad, I will likely wait and install both together. If that doesn't tighten up the brakes enough, then I'll likely get that beefy rotor you found.

I think that extra large rotor may be overkill for the weight of this bike. However, for a fully loaded touring bike and larger rider, it might be just right.

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 08:14 PM
I just ended a telephone conversation with Ryan at CSC. He told me the aftermarket, sintered brake pads, and an improved, aftermarket brake rotor should be available in the near future. :) These products will be manufactured by DP Brakes. :tup:

http://www.dp-brakes.com/

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Great research!

I also have the pulsating front brake issue, and CSC kindly sent me a replacement rotor. But if they're also developing a new brake pad, I will likely wait and install both together. If that doesn't tighten up the brakes enough, then I'll likely get that beefy rotor you found.

I think that extra large rotor may be overkill for the weight of this bike. However, for a fully loaded touring bike and larger rider, it might be just right.

Thank you. :)

You might consider installing a new, DP brake rotor at the same time you install the DP, sintered brake pads. ;) Both products should arrive at CSC about the same time. :)

Riceburner
09-16-2015, 08:23 PM
SpudRider, do you have the link for that rotor on Taobao?

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Between CSC and the Chinese, a number of nice aftermarket products are being developed for the Zongshen RX3, which is gaining popularity around the world. :)

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 08:27 PM
SpudRider, do you have the link for that rotor on Taobao?

Ask, and ye shall receive. ;)

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.158.Znggnc&id=521941335015&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/25665657/TB21Y.ffXXXXXacXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!25665657.jpg

Riceburner
09-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks SpudRider.

Gotta say Spud, your my "favorite" SpudRider, the best; now maybe your the only SupdRider I know but even if I knew a dozen SpudRider's, man you'd be my favorite...

SpudRider
09-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks SpudRider.

Gotta say Spud, your my "favorite" SpudRider, the best; now maybe your the only SupdRider I know but even if I knew a dozen SpudRider's, man you'd be my favorite...

Thank you. :)

:hehe:

Lee R
09-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Great research Spud.

I've had some high end brakes on my last two bikes so I'm hoping not to be too disappointed in the RX3's brakes. Both the KLR650 and DL650 didn't have the best brakes in the world, the DL650 wasn't as bad as the KLR.

My Tiger 1050 had really good Nissan brakes and my current Stelvio uses pretty nice Brembo calipers.

peperino
10-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Great research!

Did you sorted the pulsating thing out? I'm experiencing the same issue. Please let me know which part was faulty (please don't tell me it is the rotor or I'm screwed)

detours
10-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Did you sorted the pulsating thing out? I'm experiencing the same issue. Please let me know which part was faulty (please don't tell me it is the rotor or I'm screwed)

My brake pulsating issue improved a lot after I did a series of hard emergency stops in a parking lot, let the brakes cool and then did another series. It's still there, but a lot less noticeable now.

CSC sent me a replacement rotor, but I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know if that will fix the problem. I'm waiting for their aftermarket brake pads to install everything at the same time.

SpudRider
10-09-2015, 12:37 AM

I also had a pulsating front brake. CSC sent me a new brake rotor, and the problem disappeared. The brake rotor should be covered under warranty. However, if your dealer won't honor the warranty, you can purchase a better, front brake rotor from Taobao. Here is the link. ;)

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=521941335015

peperino
10-09-2015, 09:02 AM
My country is awful to buy things outside of it, we are limited by 2 items/year and it is very tedious to pass customs, so I would like to avoid having to replace the rotor. A better brake pads would work? Or mabe send the rotor to have it fixed?

SpudRider
10-09-2015, 03:00 PM
My country is awful to buy things outside of it, we are limited by 2 items/year and it is very tedious to pass customs, so I would like to avoid having to replace the rotor. A better brake pads would work? Or mabe send the rotor to have it fixed?

As of this moment, I don't know of any other brake pads which fit the front brake caliper. :shrug:

I suggest you contact the seller, and tell him of your problems. You can refer him to this website, where we discuss this problem. Replacing the front brake rotor will fix the problem. Therefore, I suggest you ask the vendor to send you a new, front brake rotor under warranty coverage.

peperino
10-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Im out of warranty, as here they enforce you to do periodic mantenance services with them, otherwise you are not covered. As I had horrible experiences with official service shops, I made all my maintenance myself, losing the warranty in the process

ElectricCircus
10-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Im out of warranty, as here they enforce you to do periodic mantenance services with them, otherwise you are not covered.

Sad to hear that peperino.
Wouldn't be easy for us to explain at our North American fellows the local situation involving aftermarket services for motorcycles, cars, trucks... :ohno: specially after reading the unbelieveable -for us- experiences that many of them had with the excellent responses and attitudes of CSC with their customers.

Would be nice if you can pinpoint the trouble to the rotor disc, measuring its thickness on 7-8 points.
Found this video that maybe can help you: https://youtu.be/3xxRg_E1kgg
Methods 1 and 2 are fine; I wouldn't consider the 3rd.

peperino
10-09-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm going to measure it. Do you think a different value would indicate warping? If so, could it be fixed?

ElectricCircus
10-09-2015, 04:34 PM
A different value indicates unevenness of the Surface; the best solution would be to replace the brake rotor, but at our countries many times is more affordable or available a hand-made solution, like rectify or polishing.

If the rotor is flat, the failure is elsewhere: bad rotor seating/improper bolting to the wheel, misaligned caliper.

Where you feel the issue at breaking? Both on the handlebar and brake lever?

peperino
10-09-2015, 04:38 PM
The issue is uneven breaking performance, like a pseudo ABS xD
Very annoying when you want to go a full stop, if you missed the 'good' braking part of the wheel rotation the bike will not stop the same as with the good, forcing you to apply more pressure which, in turn, will make you brake HARD when it reaches the good portion. I hope I said that right :D

ElectricCircus
10-09-2015, 04:45 PM
I've sent you a private message: would be easy to go further by means of a phone call :tup:

AZRider
10-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Im out of warranty, as here they enforce you to do periodic mantenance services with them, otherwise you are not covered. As I had horrible experiences with official service shops, I made all my maintenance myself, losing the warranty in the process

It may be that your warranty requirements are different, but there is no periodic maintenance required for a rotor, so even if your dealer did the maintenance your problem would still exist. This is a manufacturing defect and is unaffected by maintenance.

SpudRider
10-09-2015, 11:15 PM
It may be that your warranty requirements are different, but there is no periodic maintenance required for a rotor, so even if your dealer did the maintenance your problem would still exist. This is a manufacturing defect and is unaffected by maintenance.

I agree completely. :)

peperino
10-09-2015, 11:18 PM

That's correct. But it is simple, no services done in official shop, no warranty claims. That's how it works here :(

Joem
11-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Hi there my name is Joem from uk I have rx3 2 months.i have used brake pads from ajp pr5 it uses nc250 engine and same front caliper .the pads are made by Kyoto they have stopped brake pulsing and improved braking right through range.even two up feels ok.

SpudRider
11-10-2015, 08:04 PM
Hi there my name is Joem from uk I have rx3 2 months.i have used brake pads from ajp pr5 it uses nc250 engine and same front caliper .the pads are made by Kyoto they have stopped brake pulsing and improved braking right through range.even two up feels ok.

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. :hi:

Thanks for confirming the front brake pads. I see the Kyoto S1098 brake pads are equivalent to EBC FA185, which fit many Honda dirt bikes, including my Honda CRF250X and Honda XR650L motorcycles. :tup:

SpudRider
11-10-2015, 08:06 PM
I wonder if a spring from a Honda, front brake caliper would fit the RX3, front brake caliper? I am going to try installing the front brake spring, and the front brake pads from one of my Honda bikes into the RX3, front brake caliper. ;)

superdude
11-10-2015, 08:56 PM
I wonder if a spring from a Honda, front brake caliper would fit the RX3, front brake caliper? I am going to try installing the front brake spring, and the front brake pads from one of my Honda bikes into the RX3, front brake caliper. ;)

Will definitely await to see what you discover....thanks Spud

SpudRider
11-10-2015, 09:12 PM
You're welcome. I will test the fitment sometime in the next three days, and report back. :)

The more I think about it, I am less inclined to blame the front brake rotor. Firstly, the brake rotor might have been improperly, asymmetrically tightened at the factory. Also, the stock brake pads might be glazing the brake rotor, causing the front brake to pulse. The following video describes this phenomenon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKJKt9DAT4

SpudRider
11-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Fixing the pulsing, front brake rotor might be as simple as performing the following steps.

1) Remove the front brake rotor.
2) Re-install the front brake rotor, tightening the bolts incrementally, in a star pattern, to prevent warping the rotor.
3) De-glaze the front brake rotor, as shown in the video above.
4) Install EBC FA185R, sintered brake pads.

If the Honda caliper spring fits, I think it's best to install the Honda spring, rather than install the brake pads without a spring. ;)

SpudRider
11-14-2015, 01:45 AM
Will definitely await to see what you discover....thanks Spud

I successfully installed a pair of EBC FA185 brake pads in the front brake caliper of my Zongshen RX3. :tup: I was also able to use the stock, Zongshen pad spring. :) I posted a thread on this topic at the following link. ;)

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15503