PDA

View Full Version : Seeps Weeps and Leaks

NoVa Rider
09-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Minor story that would be better if illustrated with photos -- sorry I am photo challenged.

Had an issue with oil weeping from top of cylinder head. After a ride, oil would be slowly coming down around the cylinder head bolt just forward of the spark plug. Not enough to be too messy but something needed to be done. I determined it was coming from the top of the engine, not from the head bolt itself.

I removed the tank, and focused on two 10mm (head size) bolts on the top right side of the cylinder head, each with copper washers. I believe these bolts may secure the cam bearing, so I decided to deal with each one individually, and not unscrew both at the same time. I backed the bolts out about a 1/4 inch, and using the tip of an exacto knife, I applied some "blue goo" (Permatex Hylomar gasket dressing) on both sides of the copper washers. Then retightened the bolts. While I was at it, I also removed the exhaust valve adjustment cover and applied a bit of blue goo around the edge. I am fairly confident, however, the leak was not from the valve cover.

Problem seems to have been solved.

SpudRider
09-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks for informing us. I'm guessing the two bolts were not tightened properly at the factory. ;)

detours
09-18-2015, 04:30 PM
I love all the updates on individual issues. I don't have this one, but I learn so much about what could go wrong and how to fix or adjust them.

Riceburner
09-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Thanks NoVa Rider for the info.