PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Headlight Modulators

SpudRider
09-19-2015, 04:44 AM
Here is a link to an interesting thread which discusses the pros and cons of headlight modulators. What do you guys think? ;)

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/im-all-for-motorcycle-safety-but-i-find-headlight-modulators-distracting.342381/

ElectricCircus
09-19-2015, 05:38 AM
Hi Spud!

Never heard about it until your post, nor seen at the streets/roads.

After peeping at YouTube I've found them interesting for the brake tailights; but for the headlight doesn't satisfied me :hmm:: I think it could represent a factor of distraction for the opposite driver, more than a caution signal.

Maybe also is matter of local (cultural?) situation: there are lots of vehicles (cars, bus, trucks) circulating with headlights improperly set (burned lamp, LED lamps on traditional reflectors suited only for tungsten ones, elevated beams, loose and vibrating lamp housing), and many drivers put on them their highbeams as some kind of punishment; bikes with modulating headlights could fall on the same "punishable" category.

Technically, because the pulsating/oscillating current, seems to fit perfectly with LED lamps but not the same with halogen/tungsten lamps.

Regards.

Riceburner
09-19-2015, 05:54 AM
ElectricCircus, I don't think headlight modulators work with LED lights, as far as I know only the H4 series.

I've read the pro's and con's for years, from my seat of the pants, I hate to ride without it, in the USA or the Philippines. That "distract" the on coming traffic, I don't buy it, make the one coming traffic "SEE ME", I know from thousands of miles of riding, it works for me.

Riceburner
09-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Oh, and I run Hyperlites flashing tail brake lights to.

ElectricCircus
09-19-2015, 06:53 AM
I've read the pro's and con's for years, from my seat of the pants, I hate to ride without it, in the USA or the Philippines. That "distract" the on coming traffic, I don't buy it, make the one coming traffic "SEE ME", I know from thousands of miles of riding, it works for me.

Interesting your point of view after riding a lot, Riceburner: I'll consider this functionality, and check the local transit regulations to see if there's nothing wrong with it.

Weldangrind
09-19-2015, 12:22 PM
This line made me chuckle:

I'm more of a flash a bunch of times when you think they don't see you kind of person rather than follow them for several miles while erasing their childhood memories.

I'm not opposed to flashing headlights (and they sure get my attention in traffic), but I'm concerned that cagers might not see turn signals as a result of the flashing headlight.

rjmorel
09-19-2015, 02:07 PM

I'm not opposed to flashing headlights (and they sure get my attention in traffic), but I'm concerned that cagers might not see turn signals as a result of the flashing headlight.

Excellent point Weld, never thought of that, rj

SpudRider
09-19-2015, 03:36 PM

That very example is mentioned in the thread at ADVRider. ;)

detours
09-19-2015, 11:34 PM
I saw a headlight modulator on an oncoming motorcycle once and as a driver I found it very distracting and counterproductive.

The strobe effect attracted my eye, that's for sure ... but made it much harder to judge the bike's distance, speed and intentions. I could not tell if he had a blinker on or not. And I found myself fixated on the strobe and ignoring other traffic, which exposed me to other potential traffic hazards.

On the other hand, I'm completely sold on brake light modulators that flash and go solid. Or alternate between flashing and solid. As a cager, they make me much more aware of the bike silhouetted against its background, without being too distracting. As riders, my wife and I have both noticed that cars behind us give us more room and stopping distance.

fratermus
09-20-2015, 09:52 AM
I have been riding with a modulator on my NC for about a year. It is truly amazing. MASSIVE decrease in the number of people pulling out in front of me.

I can see people a block away start to pull out and stop suddenly when they see me. I get more pull-outs in my truck than on the bike now.

To address a couple of concerns in this thread: there is no requirement to blinding cars ahead. Since the modulator is required to only work on high-beam one can simply go to low beam, as might be polite even with a normal headlight.

Concerning oncomers not seeing turn signals: the Hurt report has no mention of "didn't see motorcycle's turn signal", but an epic crap-ton of "didn't see motorcycle". To wit: "Conspicuity (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Conspicuity) of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets."