PDA

View Full Version : hello too all. lifan 2006 or 2007 200 gy-5????????

cajones
08-16-2007, 05:00 PM
First off hi too all here.

I am new to the china bike thing and need to get an idea of a few things. I am assuming that the best supported china bikes are american lifan. Is this a correct assumption????

Now for the next question.... What are the differences in the lifan 2006 and the 2007 models? not interested in the plastic, color ect. more so the nuts and bolts. is there a significant reason that I should avoid the 2006? I ask this because I was on the phone with american lifan and they suggested that I not buy the 06. but the 07 was better. are they just trying too upsell this china bike newbie? any advice?

thanks
pleasure too meet you all.
CaJones

NewEnglandTrails
08-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Cajones,

Welcome aboard,,

In the course of introducing oneself.... we are often curious where you are from.. It could make a difference in the cycle you select.. and the advice we can give.... as well as what you can actually buy.. Please share with us so we can better inform you.. If you want to make your bike street legal its a 50 state toss up.. If you have an American Lifan dealer close by I would imagine that some of your questions would already be answered..... If not then your gonna get a crate delivered to your house. Either way you will get more bang for your buck than you would at a typical Motorcycle dealership. Typically American Lifan will not drop ship a bike in a crate..

Best of Luck.....

NET

katoranger
08-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome. The nuts and bolts differences are covered in the Dual Sport area. Big ones are 07 has a balance shaft engine and reverted to a rear drum brake.

I just rode mine nearly 300 miles today.

Allen

AZ200cc
08-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Welcome :D

I can't help much, As I do not own a Lifan....Sorry.

cajones
08-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I AM IN THE KANSAS AREA, GOT OUT OF THE ARMY AND AM GETTING READY TOO START ENGINEERING SCHOOL HERE AT KSU. I AM LOOKING FOR CHEAP RELIABLE TRANSPORT AND SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH ON THE WEEKENDS.
I DON'T RIDE HARD ANYMORE, JUST PUTTER AROUND ON THE DIRT ROADS.
I AM NOT 100% NEW TO RIDING I RECENTLY SOLD MY YAMAHA RD 400 WAS TOO OLD FOR PARTS AND CONSTANTLY GAVE ME PROBLEMS, PROBABLY BECAUSE IT WAS THE TWIN CYLINDER 2 STROKE.

WHILE ON THE PHONE WITH AMERICAN LIFAN THEY HAD GIVEN ME A DEALER WHO WILL SHIP THE CRATE 2007 LIFAN FOR 1375 IS THIS A GOOD DEAL? I

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO GIVEN.

katoranger
08-17-2007, 01:52 PM
motoxtreme? Brian is very good.

I think it a deal, but you need to have it assemble by a bike dealer to have the warranty honored.

Either one will be fine and I just put 300 miles of hard riding on mine with no problems.

In town and putting in the dirt is fine.

Allen

desert_drew
08-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Welcome Cajones!

Thanks for serving our country! :D

Read through the old posts, you'll know which bike is right for you before long.

culcune
08-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I am assuming that the best supported china bikes are american lifan. Is this a correct assumption????

The UM (United Motors) bikes are probably the best supported bikes, with a few niche (premium) Chinabike manufacturers/importers close, such as Qlink, Diamo, and Zongshen (the Sierra 200 enduro). Jetmoto is who I went through about a year and a half ago and are still going strong, and they have an extensive after-market parts line if you bang around their site. I think Roketa could be ok, as they, too, have been around a while now, if you wanted a low-cost bike which might need more maintenance. American Lifan are better supported, but you will need a local dealer, unless you mail-order through Brian from Motoxtremes.

There are some guys who ordered off Ebay, or bought an Ebay bike second-hand (from "companies" who are loooong gone), who have no problem adapting parts from other brands and keeping their bikes running.

driller
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
There is an American Lifan dealer in Manhattan Ks., I think it is called "Great Mileage Rides" on Ft. Riley Blvd. It is a little bitty place on the south side of the street. They were way out of line on price ($1799 for GY-2, $2199 for a GY-5) but you can at least see and feel the bike.

Hope this helps

Ryan