PDA

View Full Version : Proper adjustment of the rear shock absorber

oneshrewddude
10-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Can anyone elaborate on proper adjustments for the rear shock absorber? I know it has a to and bottom adjustment. I understand the rebound dampening at the bottom, but what is the top adjustment for? Thanks in advance... :-)

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3) (2x) Blue and Orange
2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Jay In Milpitas
10-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Can anyone elaborate on proper adjustments for the rear shock absorber? I know it has a to and bottom adjustment. I understand the rebound dampening at the bottom, but what is the top adjustment for? Thanks in advance... :-)

2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Hi Ron. The upper adjustment is just the preload pressure on the spring. It allows you to adjust the spring stiffness to suit your weight and any extra gear you might be carrying. I imagine your KLR is similar.

Jay.

SpudRider
10-05-2015, 01:52 AM

2007 Kawasaki KLR650

You might enjoy reading the following thread. ;)

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14677

oneshrewddude
10-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks Jay and Spud... Newbie anxiety... trying to do everything I can to help my short wife feel stable on her new toy... :-)

detours
10-05-2015, 05:57 PM
CSC is offering a lowering kit for the RX3 if she needs a lower seat height.

oneshrewddude
10-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Unfortunately, The lowering link and the seat are installed... She is 4'10", so she is still stretching it a bit, but she is determined... :-)

2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Jay In Milpitas
10-06-2015, 12:41 AM
Unfortunately, The lowering link and the seat are installed... She is 4'10", so she is still stretching it a bit, but she is determined... :-)

2007 Kawasaki KLR650

At 4' 10" You are definitely being bold and I hope you win.
Yes, the spring collar getting threaded upwards will lower the bike some more, but even that adjustment has limits.

I suggest putting the bike on the center stand, if you got one, or on a lift/crate so the rear wheel is off the floor. Loosen the lock screw on the collar and turn it upwards until there is no pressure on the spring (note: record the number of turns for future reference). Now turn the nut back down *some* turns, noting how many. Take the bike off the stand and check the height. Repeat as necessary.

As Spud advised, read the link he provided. It's good, sound info.

Jay.

oneshrewddude
10-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks Jay... I know we are being bold, but she is determined to get off the Grom and onto the RX-3... :-)

detours
10-06-2015, 10:26 PM
You might be able to shave a quarter inch off the seat bumpers. I did that on my Vstrom, but not sure how well that will work on the RX3 though.

It might also help to drop some weight of the bike ... engine bars, skid plate, rear foot pegs, side cases and rack, top case, passenger grab bars, lithium iron battery.

That could save around 70 lbs and make the bike easier to manage.

Tiger12XC
10-23-2015, 11:26 PM

2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Where did you find Lowering Links for the RX3?

SpudRider
10-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Where did you find Lowering Links for the RX3?

CSC announced they are selling a lowering kit on September 28, 2015. Read the last paragraph at the following link. :)

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=18355

Tiger12XC
10-24-2015, 10:49 AM
CSC announced they are selling a lowering kit on September 28, 2015. Read the last paragraph at the following link. :)

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=18355

Yes I read that also when announced, I see the heated grips and can order them no problem. The lowering links are MIA on the CSC website as I went page by page just to make sure I didn't miss them didn't see anything that looks like a lowering link. I will keep looking thanks Spud!

Edit: I have sent an Email to CSC in an effort to locate the ever elusive Lowering Link.

SpudRider
10-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Don't feel bad; I also looked, and couldn't find the lowering kit on the CSC website. ;)

Tiger12XC
10-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Don't feel bad; I also looked, and couldn't find the lowering kit on the CSC website. ;)

I emailed CSC and Ryan promptly replied that they will be getting it up on the website in the next week or so. He also said that they would get installation instructions up the next time they install one at the shop.

SpudRider
10-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Indeed, it only requires a phone call or email to get a quick response from the excellent personnel at CSC. :)

Tiger12XC
10-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Bam! The lowering link on the CSC website.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-Lowering-Link-p/csc-1505.htm

SpudRider
10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
:tup:

Weldangrind
10-27-2015, 10:54 PM
That's a nice looking link, with decent welds. I'd almost be tempted to drill out the mounting holes for bushings, but it's probably not necessary.

Jay In Milpitas
10-27-2015, 11:19 PM
That's a nice looking link, with decent welds. I'd almost be tempted to drill out the mounting holes for bushings, but it's probably not necessary.

Weld, it looks to me as if the bolt that goes through the lowering link isn't supposed to pivot or act as a pivot. It seems to clamp the link to the knuckle arm by the shoulders of the two NEEDLE BEARINGS (how's that for emphasis?) which are the pivots.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Needle-bearing-HK202614-p/z65-114.htm

I guess we won't know for sure until someone here actually rips in to the suspension.

I am curious why grease fittings were not installed at all these bearings in the suspension.

Weldangrind
10-27-2015, 11:24 PM
It seems to clamp the link to the knuckle arm by the shoulders of the two NEEDLE BEARINGS (how's that for emphasis?) which are the pivots.

That makes sense. Please don't yell at me.

Jay In Milpitas
10-27-2015, 11:35 PM

Sorry, I just got excited. needle bearings.

Weldangrind
10-27-2015, 11:54 PM
:lmao:

SpudRider
10-28-2015, 12:22 AM

He's not yelling. :wtf: He just gets excited. :tup:

:hehe:

SpudRider
10-28-2015, 12:32 AM
Weld, it looks to me as if the bolt that goes through the lowering link isn't supposed to pivot or act as a pivot. It seems to clamp the link to the knuckle arm by the shoulders of the two NEEDLE BEARINGS (how's that for emphasis?) which are the pivots.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Needle-bearing-HK202614-p/z65-114.htm

I guess we won't know for sure until someone here actually rips in to the suspension.

I am curious why grease fittings were not installed at all these bearings in the suspension.

You are correct, Jay. I cleaned and greased the entire lower shock linkage last week. :)

The lower shock linkage of the RX3 is very nice, with quality needle bearings in all links. :tup: The lower shock mount takes the greatest beating, and it will not accommodate a grease zerk. Therefore, since you need to pull the knuckle/arm to service that bearing, there is no need for grease zerks on the other bearings. ;)

The link/dogbone will not accommodate a grease zerk, either. However, after you pull the knuckle/arm, you only need to remove one bolt to pull the link/dogbone. ;)

I will post a new thread on cleaning/greasing the lower shock linkage in the near future. :)