PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure

woodlandsprite
10-05-2015, 04:00 PM
So, I saw in the main thread the discussion on tire pressures.

It seems what is on the swingarm sticker might be the max? 36/36 PSI Front/Rear

In the "owners manual" that came with the RX3 I think I recall seeing 32/36 Front/Rear

But then it sounds like some of the other countries RX3s have different pressure specs in their owners manuals

Should I expect recommended tire pressure to change depending on if I'm riding with Stock tires vs knobbies?

(total newb here, with less than 500 miles on a bike...)

SpudRider
10-05-2015, 05:37 PM
I always trust what is written on the tires, themselves. ;)

Remember, these values are the maximum tire pressures, which are used when the bike is fully loaded to the maximum weight. In general, I inflate all motorcycle tires to 26 psi, plus or minus 2 psi. In other words, when installing a tire I inflate the inner tube to 28 psi. I add more air whenever the tire pressure gets below 24 psi.

woodlandsprite
10-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Thanks Spud - I had remembered your advice of ~24-28PSI - is there a reason you settled on that range?

SpudRider
10-05-2015, 09:45 PM
That pressure range performs well while riding on pavement, and while riding off road. Also, that pressure range extends the life of tires, and yields good fuel mileage.

If you load the bike heavily, then you need to increase the tire pressure more towards the maximum tire pressure. ;)

woodlandsprite
10-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks Spud :) Never questioned the recommendations for my car, but I've learned my bike is definitely no car ;)