PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stuff

dave92029
10-07-2015, 02:40 PM
I installed the CSC sold heated grips yesterday. They can get very Hot! I think that they look good. The new rubber grips have an excellent feel, even with the heat off. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

I also received a replacement for my Tall seat. The first one didn't fit right and CSC offered to replace it. The new Tall seat is very comfortable, and fits perfectly. Thank you CSC for replacing the first seat.

SpudRider
10-07-2015, 08:39 PM
The heated grips and tall saddle both look great. Thanks for posting the nice review, and the excellent photographs. :)

It is very nice that the heated grips have five heat settings. :tup:

How do you like the tall saddle? How much has it increased saddle height?

dave92029
10-07-2015, 09:21 PM
How do you like the tall saddle? How much has it increased saddle height?

The tall saddle is a big improvement over the stock saddle. The foam is not rock hard, but a comfortable compromise between hard and soft.

I have a 30" inseam and I'm still able to flat foot the bike, because of the narrow neck (area nearest the fuel tank).

I haven't compared measurements between the stock and tall saddle. The important difference is that the tall saddle is much flatter, and doesn't have the sharp dip as on the stock seat.

The tall saddle gives the impression that the suspension is working better because it no longer hurts to ride over rough roads. I still wish the bike had an inch or two more wheel travel to absorb harsh roads.

The tall saddle makes me want to keep riding and go for a long ride, where the stock saddle made me need to take more frequent breaks.

Well worth the cost IMHO.

MattyBoy1976
10-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Would you mind sharing how you wired the heated grips? That will be my project next week, I think, but I'm a little nervous about messing with the electrical system!

dave92029
10-08-2015, 01:16 AM
Would you mind sharing how you wired the heated grips? That will be my project next week, I think, but I'm a little nervous about messing with the electrical system!

The instructions that come with the heated grips are good. I invited a riding buddy to come over to my house and assist me with the install. He is a retired electrical engineer, but it is really a simple installation

The biggest challenge is deciding on where to tap into the RX3's electric system. The instructions suggest that the electric source should be switched, power turns on and off with the turning of the ignition key.

I do not have the electric accessory outlets that mount on the RX3's dash. therefore the plugs for this accessory was the closest source of switched power, and what we tapped into.

We found the hot wire and ground on the accessory plug, and spliced the heated grips into these wires. This allowed us to shorten the wire harness supplied with the heated grips because the dash is close to the grips.

The easiest way to install the hand grips was to use a rubber mallet and give the grips a couple of good wacks!:yay:

The instructions offer two options for attaching the switch for the grips: velcro or screws. I opted for the velco.

The biggest challenge was putting the windshield back on the bike, but after receiving advice from others on this forum I realized that removing the headlight made that a simple task.

The grips put out a lot of heat. It's ironic that I installed heated grips and the weather folks are predicting temps around 100 for this Saturday around here.

Hope this helps.

Weldangrind
10-08-2015, 01:26 AM
Thanks for sharing those details, Dave.

It seems like CSC's service just keeps getting better.

MattyBoy1976
10-12-2015, 11:03 PM
The instructions that come with the heated grips are good. I invited a riding buddy to come over to my house and assist me with the install. He is a retired electrical engineer, but it is really a simple installation

The biggest challenge is deciding on where to tap into the RX3's electric system. The instructions suggest that the electric source should be switched, power turns on and off with the turning of the ignition key.

I do not have the electric accessory outlets that mount on the RX3's dash. therefore the plugs for this accessory was the closest source of switched power, and what we tapped into.

We found the hot wire and ground on the accessory plug, and spliced the heated grips into these wires. This allowed us to shorten the wire harness supplied with the heated grips because the dash is close to the grips.

The easiest way to install the hand grips was to use a rubber mallet and give the grips a couple of good wacks!:yay:

The instructions offer two options for attaching the switch for the grips: velcro or screws. I opted for the velco.

The biggest challenge was putting the windshield back on the bike, but after receiving advice from others on this forum I realized that removing the headlight made that a simple task.

The grips put out a lot of heat. It's ironic that I installed heated grips and the weather folks are predicting temps around 100 for this Saturday around here.

Hope this helps.

I took the plunge and installed mine today-your method of tapping into the accessory plugs on the dash got me to thinking, and I chose to use the Auxiliary 1 plug under the seat to power a relay, which then powers the grips from the battery. I figured I could use the relay to power up any accessories that I choose to add later, but I can turn them all off by turning the auxiliary switch to the off position. It took a little longer than I thought it would, but I got all the wires tucked away and corralled with zip ties, and you're right-a rubber mallet was key in getting the grips on the handlebars! I managed to lose one of the black caps, though-hopefully I'll find it tomorrow.

Thanks for the info-it helped me a bunch.

dave92029
10-13-2015, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info-it helped me a bunch.

I'm sure you will find the end cap tomorrow. I dropped mine while doing the install, and it ended up inside the crash plate on the bottom of the bike. :wtf:

The grips get really hot! Enjoy.