PDA

View Full Version : Zumo 660 GPS over instrument cluster mount RX3

Tiger12XC
10-12-2015, 02:19 PM
The Zumo handlebar mount used to mount to the windshield brace plate over the instrument cluster.
This plate is very thick and sturdy for hanging the Zumo bracket from.
The plate and bracket that the windshield is mounted to is vibration dampened and keeps the Zumo from bouncing in the cradle.

The Zumo is powered directly from the battery via included wire harness. The bracket is included with the Garmin Zumo 660 LM, no need to buy anything extra for this application. The bracket holding the gps is the Ram Mount 1" ball system and easily adjusts to any angle you like also included in the Garmin package. I hope this helps anyone looking for a viable gps option. I personally don't like the gps hanging off of the handle bars or near my mirrors as it will get knocked off if the bike goes down or a branch hits the bars or mirrors.

Huck369
10-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Looks good....I've been running my Garmin mounted the the center of the handle bars (I have a 1" riser) I like it pretty good there, but above the gauges lets you see it while no having to look as far down, I may try to come up with a similar mount for mine.....

Tiger12XC
10-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Looks good....I've been running my Garmin mounted the the center of the handle bars (I have a 1" riser) I like it pretty good there, but above the gauges lets you see it while no having to look as far down, I may try to come up with a similar mount for mine.....

It's also protected from the rain while riding or sitting still behind the windshield. We get a lot of rain here in the gulf region of Texas.

My tank bag would block my view of the gps on the handle bar clamp area. I had to get it up into my field of view.

SpudRider
10-12-2015, 02:59 PM
That is an elegant solution. :) Thanks for sharing it with us. :tup:

Weldangrind
10-12-2015, 03:31 PM
To confirm, you drilled two holes in the windshield brace plate?

I really like the idea of getting the GPS into your field of view.

Tiger12XC
10-12-2015, 03:35 PM
To confirm, you drilled two holes in the windshield brace plate?

I really like the idea of getting the GPS into your field of view.

Yes. To be more clear I did clip off a small corner of the lower end of the supplied bracket to allow the bracket to slide lower down onto the plate without cutting too much of the slotted hole out. Then marked the holes so the bracket could slide up or down if needed then drilled and mounted it with short bolts and lock nuts.

Weldangrind
10-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I agree with Spud; that's an elegant solution.

Tiger12XC
10-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Have you guys seen this new helmet from Cycle Gear.
http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno-Bluetooth-Adventure-Motorcycle-Helmet
I purchased two so the wife and I could communicate and it actually links up with the Zumo perfectly. My phone calls and routing info go through the Zumo to the helmet and we can talk to each other. The distance is very good also. The flip down smoked internal visor eliminates the need for sunglasses.

SpudRider
10-12-2015, 04:02 PM
That's a nice helmet, at a reasonable price. :tup:

If you have time, I would enjoy reading a thorough review of that helmet. :)

Weldangrind
10-12-2015, 04:24 PM
That's really cool! Are you communicating with your wife two-up, or on separate bikes?

Tiger12XC
10-12-2015, 04:57 PM
That's really cool! Are you communicating with your wife two-up, or on separate bikes?

We have used them both ways but mostly rider/rider now that she has her new RX3. I just posted a review of the helmet in Reviews.

Weldangrind
10-12-2015, 06:09 PM
I spotted that. Thanks for taking the time.

Riceburner
10-12-2015, 06:14 PM
I like that GPS mounting idea, very COOL BEANS...:tup:

detours
10-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Now I know what I want for Christmas!

SpudRider
10-12-2015, 09:23 PM
I spotted that. Thanks for taking the time.

X2; thanks for posting the nice review. :)

Lee R
10-13-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm relocating my RAM mount after seeing this, really nice set up! I personally use my 5.5' cell phone with either backcountry navigator, OSMand+ or google maps (offlined) these days.

If you guys havn't tried Rever.co the map planning option is really nice for exporting .GPX files. easy to mark out a dirt road that's not on google maps but you can see via satellite imagery. The Zumo will read .gpx correct? My old Garmin car gps used too.

http://rever.co/

Hillmaps is also awesome for viewing two maps side by side.

http://www.hillmap.com/

SpudRider
10-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks for posting the good links, Lee. :)

Tiger12XC
10-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Good find thanks Lee

fishman10
10-17-2015, 11:40 AM
i also have the same helmet from cyclegear,,,Like it alot ,iphone paired up easily ,,i just wish they had more color choices , as the flat black gets a lil warm ,,,might have mine painted,,, but overall nice hemlet,, lining comes out fro washing!

Tiger12XC
10-17-2015, 01:45 PM
i also have the same helmet from cyclegear,,,Like it alot ,iphone paired up easily ,,i just wish they had more color choices , as the flat black gets a lil warm ,,,might have mine painted,,, but overall nice hemlet,, lining comes out fro washing!

I have owned many helmets over the years and the BILT Techno is by far my all time favorite. I ride in Houston TX in the summer 100+ degrees and the black is hot to the touch on the outside but not on the inside. The vents work perfectly for circulation. I also wear a Heat Out Cap from Cycle Gear and it helps.