PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster burning ?

peperino
10-17-2015, 12:05 AM
Hi !
Just wanted to share what is happening to some RX3s (Touring) here.

The dash seems to be decolorating a bit from the sun reflected in the windshield. Does this happened to anyone else?

Jay In Milpitas
10-17-2015, 12:39 AM
Interesting problem, Peperino, thank you for sharing the warning.:clap:

My bike is parked outside in the sun while I am at work and have not had that happen yet. I may need to start covering the shield and instruments with an old t-shirt.

Lee R
10-17-2015, 01:38 AM
This happened to the LCD on my Stelvio, the windscreen focused the light a bit too much and now the backlight has a "bruised" color and some melted plastic in the upper corner of the clear cover.

I'd recommend bringing a cloth or covering with gloves if possible, that's what I now do with all my bikes.

SpudRider
10-17-2015, 01:44 AM
I haven't noticed a problem, myself. However, I now understand why some people prefer to have a smoke colored windshield. ;)

peperino
10-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Here the bikes are delivered with both, sometimes with the clear one, sometimes with the smoked one. The smoked one is shorter though.

pepelepua
10-17-2015, 10:36 AM
The bike came with both windshiends, mine has the clear mounted and the dark into the rear box; it happened to my friend that he had to ask for the dark one because the dealer "forgot" it.:ohno:
Now I´ve mounted an aftermarket larger one with an intermediate smoke tone.

peperino
10-17-2015, 11:07 AM
The bike came with both windshiends, mine has the clear mounted and the dark into the rear box; it happened to my friend that he had to ask for the dark one because the dealer "forgot" it.:ohno:

Many people didn't receive the 2nd one (I'm one of them) and then when asked for it Corven didn't want to deliver it saying it was a mistake.

I don't like the smoked windshield anyway, I prefer the clear one

SpudRider
10-17-2015, 12:21 PM

If you have time, please post a photograph of the larger, aftermarket windshield, and a link to the vendor. :)

peperino
10-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Spud, it is a local vendor, 'Parabrisas Curtain'

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-582236414-parabrisas-corven-triax-250-touring-extra-elevado-curtain-_JM

We have seen worse results with the 'Curtain' windshield, really burning the dash, I'll post a photo soon

peperino
10-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Here's the smoked one

peperino
10-17-2015, 03:15 PM
We have seen a few cases here already with the aftermarket windshield

peperino
10-17-2015, 03:19 PM
But I started this post because I see some decoloration in mine too, and I have the clear, stock windshield

Jay In Milpitas
10-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Wow! As I say to the people that I work around, "mucho mas grande' no bueno!"

Is the damage from the Sun going through the shield or from being reflected from the inside?

Being so close to the Equator there is not much way to escape the Sun.

peperino
10-17-2015, 03:38 PM
I believe the little curve where the bolt goes is the culprit. If you notice in my first pic, the decoloration happens right in the holders

SpudRider
10-17-2015, 09:35 PM
I checked my speedometer this afternoon. I don't see any discoloration, or any damage whatsoever. :shrug:

I suggest you try a smoked windshield. You could also paint your clear windshield. ;)

dave92029
10-17-2015, 10:14 PM
I have purchased several windscreens from Cee Bailey in the USA. One time I asked if they could make a taller screen and they explained to me that one of the reasons that OEM mfg. deliver bikes with short screens is that tall screens can bend the sun's rays and burn the dash cluster.

The tall screen's with a curve are generally the cause.

I have also been warned by dealers who sold tall screens that installing the screen will void my warranty .

I have seen folks throw a towel over their tall screen when the bike is parked to prevent the sun from melting the dash. The curve of the tall screen act just like a magnifying glass to the sun's ray. They intensify the heat and focus the Rays on the dash.

I don't think the tint of the screen makes any difference to the sun

Unfortunately this is a common problem with after market screens.

SpudRider
10-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks for sharing the good information, Dave. :) I had never heard of this problem before. :shrug:

pepelepua
10-19-2015, 12:07 AM
If you have time, please post a photograph of the larger, aftermarket windshield, and a link to the vendor. :)
This is a friend bike, with the intermediate smoked one:

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/pepelepua/foto%20parabrisa%20alto_zpstiftx873.jpg (http://s784.photobucket.com/user/pepelepua/media/foto%20parabrisa%20alto_zpstiftx873.jpg.html)

Pro Screen is also produced by Curtain.

Probably I´ll add some 3M film (used in cars windows) in the bottom part of the shield to avoid anoying brightness in the cluster and this decoloration.

SpudRider
10-19-2015, 12:32 AM
Thank you, Pablo. :)

If you add opaque film, or paint the lower part of the windshield, it will certainly prevent the sun from refracting onto the dashboard. :)