PDA

View Full Version : Grass Kart powered by (hush! Honda engine!

Rickorider
11-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Hi

This is our grass Kart we use on a local farm in UK

Powered by a Honda GX 200 engine. These are very popular and many cloned engines can be purchased in U.

No gears just foot down and go!

Engine has big bore carb and different emulsion tube and a sports exhaust which was cheaper to by from USA and get shipped to UK than buying similar in UK.

Fitted with a pulse fuel pump

Wheels are off quad bikes.

Great cheap fun! We mark out track with cones and enjoy an afternoon of time trials!

Rickorider

SpudRider
11-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Yes, that looks like fun. :tup:

Weldangrind
11-03-2015, 09:52 PM
I'd love to see some video action!

Adjuster
11-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Very cool. Is it fast? Like unsafe fast? That would be fun!

/

Rickorider
11-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi Weldangrind

If you search youtube "grass kart Honda you shpuld be able to view them

The title is "Grass karting with Honda GX200 engine"

and "Grass karting using Honda GX200 engine"

This is the link on youtube but may not work if you click on it. Try copy and paste to your browser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_gagvmyOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pve7p6KTClg

These are clips before we fitted the pulse fuel pump so its showing it with the fuel tank on top of engine which looks naf as now its between legs as photos.

We may have another run before weather gets to bad in Uk as we get it very wet at times.

Rickorider

Rickorider
11-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi Adjuster

Yes kart is fast but safe as its virtually impossible to turn over unless you hit something.

You need a big field as its easy to spin out but if you do over cook it on bends it will just slide until it stops.

Its got a centrifugal clutch so it only accelerator on right and brake on left.

Great for teenagers as they don't have to bother with gears. Youtube clips shows my two lads.

Easy to maintain as very reliable Honda engine but Lifan do a similar but a lot cheaper.

If you go to http://grasskart.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/reviving-passion-for-karting.html

I am doing a blog on how we got kart up and running. This will give a bit more information but its not finished yet.

There are only 3 grass karts clubs in UK but we are to far away from them and they use 250cc engines with gears and an reach up to 70mph!

Let me know if you want any more infor.

Rickorider

SpudRider
11-04-2015, 02:18 PM
The videos are playing well. That looks like good clean fun. :tup:

culcune
11-11-2015, 06:42 AM
Thank you for sharing your information and the videos! I could see this catching on here in the US as we have many dirt oval race tracks for amateur and semi-pro NASCAR-like racing. Newer drivers have to learn in the heat of battle after having investing thousands of dollars on a car, chassis upgrade, engine, etc. Yes there are starter classes with very low-end cars, but I could see this kind of karting appealing even before getting on an actual track. The drifting aspect is throw in. Heck, even off season for experienced dirt track racers. Just like how professional racers keep up in the off-season with shifter karts on paved surfaces.

Krasi_BG
11-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Last winter I got one of the commercially-available Chinese go karts. And it has exactly such GX200 clone. I think this was the first run:

kNPoNrWR148

N32SQqXl1As

It shakes, rattles and bounces like nothing else :D

culcune
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Your buggy doesn't drift as well as the grass go-karts :) Kidding aside, I have been thinking of one of the Kandi 150 karts similar to yours.

http://atv4usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=XG150FS or http://atv4usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=XG150-SP

Rickorider
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
There are only 3 grass Kart clubs in UK. They are based in the north of England in Wisbech, Conningsby and Bourne.

If you do a Google search and add grass Kart you will see their websites. Karts seem to be hand built from track karts and modified with roll bars and side bars and grass wheels.

We are to far away to get involved but looks fun.

Seem to be popular in States as there are plenty of websites selling add on products and clone engines.

Krasi BG
Cannot get videos working on my tablet so will have a look on laptop.

Rickorider
11-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Kart has quad bike tyres with studs

May drift better if we changed to lawn mower tyres with less tread.

Thanks for comments

culcune
11-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Kart has quad bike tyres with studs

May drift better if we changed to lawn mower tyres with less tread.

Thanks for comments

I have to clarify--I don't circle race, but it looks as though your drifting is plenty for a young, aspiring circle-track racer to practice with a smaller vehicle such as these karts.

It is too bad there are no organizations closer to you to compete, so I guess you will have to do the work yourself in order to set up organized races and such.

Where in the UK are you? Most of my father's family live in Faversham, Kent.

FastDoc
11-11-2015, 07:41 PM
That looks like a fun machine! I have never seen such a cart. There is a racing go cart track in my town, so Road going go karts I see, I have never seen one designed for the grass. Does it tear up the grass? It looks like it may be even more fun on smooth tires LOL

Rickorider
11-12-2015, 03:23 AM
Hi Feastdoc

Kart doesn't tear up grass to much. We move the track about to give even ware. I think next season we will use tyres with less tread. Lawn mower tyres fit the rims and do not have the studs like quad bike tyres as fitted.

The owners of field are very good and allow free access to field.

Kart is a standard track Kart but fitted larger hubs and wheels.

Hi culune

We live in Evesham in Worcestershire which is Midlands. Yes its a shame we are so far away from Kart clubs. Not sure why there there are not many clubs in UK. Karts seem to cost around £500 when they are advertised on eBay but we got ours running for less than that as we do not have roll bar fitted or any gears as a lot of them seem to have.

I think a lot are converted in own workshop's as there is very little online about conversions and guess belonging to a club you learn off each other.