PDA

View Full Version : Colombia AKT TT AdvenTour 250

DaytonaMike
11-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Its official....Took delivery at about 1pm today. Snuck out of work (not easy to do here) and picked it up. The rear case and mirrors were still not installed and the license plate was ready but had no holes drilled in it :wtf:. The gas tank had maybe 5 tablespoons of gas >:(. Left the dealer and promptly rode to the nearest gas station in a light drizzly rain. Lots of positive comments and questions...Keep in mind I dont speak Spanish...yes, 4 years in Colombia and I dont speak Spanish...Dont judge me!!! Answered the questions the best I could and was on my way. The power is amazing after driving the FZ16 (12hp) for the last 3 years. The throttle is very sensitive and the sound is deep and throaty. Rode to my buddies house to drill and install the tag and then off to work. Arriving here I had a permanent smile on my face. My coworkers were laughing at me because I was so happy. Truly like a kid at Christmas. This bike is a beast. Its tall and wide and I am loving the feeling. The shifter feels a little low but going to live with it a little while to see how things shake down over the first few hundred kilometers. The bike gets full maintenance included at the dealer for the first 5 visits. They pay everything except the cost of oil. After that the next 5 or however many visits they pay 50% of everything. Includes all adjustments per the manual. The only caveat is that you must bring it to them within a 500km window. Not shown is the small tank bag they included. Of course more pictures to follow when the weather is better. So far (about 10km anyway) I am one happy camper. :yay: Lots more to follow

Inroads
11-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Congrats on your new ride.I hope to be in your country soon with a potential buy of the TT to ride SA and so am very interested in your impressions.
Look forward to your future reports, Thanks for bringing us along.

SpudRider
11-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Congratulations, Mike. :tup: Welcome to The Cult of The Zong. :)

P.S. I can't view the last two attachments in your post.

Weldangrind
11-21-2015, 12:14 AM
Congrats! I hope it gives you many happy kilometres.

DaytonaMike
11-21-2015, 05:28 AM
SpudRider - Thank you. Ill try again.

Inroads - I am no expert on the process but would be happy to help in any way I can. Buying the 250 was very easy. They have a huge dealer network throughout Colombia. They sell them at AKT shops, Alkosto (similar to Sams Club) and at Exito (similar to Super Walmart). I live in a fairly small city (less than 400,000 people) and we have 4 dealers and 3 service centers here. They asked for a Cedula (the national ID card that is used for EVERYTHING) and the money. I have a Cedula for foreigners since I am a resident with a resident Visa. Not sure how the process would work if you didnt have a cedula. Motorcycles are constant targets here for traffic stops. You must show Cedula, Soat (mandatory insurance) and Technomecanico (an inspection certification) which is not required for the first 2 years of a new vehicle. The Soat for this moto is $405,000 COP and is included in the purchase price. Its good for 1 year. The bike came with a free helmet and the Matricula (a document fee of about $180,000 COP) was free as well. They have different promotions at different times. My total total out the door cost was $9,700,000 COP or less than $3200 USD. The actual cost on the bike only is 8,000,000 COP or about $2600 USD. The price has gone up $1,000,000 COP in just the last month. Granted they have added some farkles but I dont really see why other than profit motivation.

DaytonaMike
11-21-2015, 05:48 AM
Just found this page on Facebook. Tons of great pictures from 3 guys traveling Colombia on RX3´s. Google can translate everything for you or if you are like me the pics are enough

https://www.facebook.com/La-Magia-de-Colombia-en-Moto-860782357338769/?ref=ts&fref=ts

SpudRider
11-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Your photos are working now, Mike. Thank you. :)

You definitely got the best color; the white bikes look great. :tup:

SpudRider
11-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Just found this page on Facebook. Tons of great pictures from 3 guys traveling Colombia on RX3´s. Google can translate everything for you or if you are like me the pics are enough

https://www.facebook.com/La-Magia-de-Colombia-en-Moto-860782357338769/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Thanks for posting the great link. I will certainly be reading that article, and viewing the beautiful photos. Here are just a few of them. :tup:

SpudRider
11-21-2015, 09:13 AM
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/t31.0-8/12006481_872399886177016_25285601859637333_o.jpg

SpudRider
11-21-2015, 09:17 AM
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12010711_870932299657108_4066625794176287175_o.jpg

rtking
11-21-2015, 11:41 AM
DaytonaMike - Congrats on the bike! It looks great! That top case looks like it can carry your helmet and a good amount of gear!

Spud - thank for posting some of the photos! Wow, just wow. I'll have to get over to the Facebook page to check out other photos!

DaytonaMike
11-22-2015, 12:17 PM
>:(

Left my house this morning with my son to head to an ATM. Got 3km down the road (remember I picked the bike up Friday so I have a grand total of about 15km on it at this point) and heard a loud clanking noise from the front end. Sounded like something broke loose. At first I thought some bolts from the brake disc were rubbing on the caliper housing, maybe a loose spoke...I had no idea and it was impossible to roll the bike and look and listen for the sound. Immediately pulled over and the sound stopped. Rolled the bike into a parking lot and could only duplicate the sound intermittently. Rode slowly with 4 way flashers to a buddies house and we determined that it is most likely the front bearings. The axle nut was not tight. When we tightened it the wheel did not want to spin freely. We took every thing apart and found some plastic shavings under the speedometer housing at the hub. We greased the hell out of everything, including the terribly dry bearings and put everything back together. The sound is still there. It tends to get worse when the bike is moving and the wheel is turned to the left or right. It is not a constant sound but it sounds really bad and is really loud when it happens. Going to take it in for service as soon as I can on Monday.

Anyone had this issue?

Jay In Milpitas
11-22-2015, 12:53 PM
>:(

We took every thing apart and found some plastic shavings under the speedometer housing at the hub. We greased the hell out of everything, including the terribly dry bearings and put everything back together. The sound is still there. It tends to get worse when the bike is moving and the wheel is turned to the left or right. It is not a constant sound but it sounds really bad and is really loud when it happens. Going to take it in for service as soon as I can on Monday.

Anyone had this issue?

I haven't had that issue, but it is a whole lot of Not Cool.
The plastic shavings are an indication that the tab on the speedo sensor drive may not have been aligned in the groove. The axle nut might have been tight when it left the dealer but quickly became loose when the parts there were no longer acting as spacers.

I suggest removing the wheel again, check the feel of the bearing rotation by finger and also the speedo drive. Hopefully this will help isolate the problem and the shop can quickly fix it. Sounds like they have enough new bikes to pull parts from so should be able to get you out the door quickly.

Just in case, here's the CSC tutorial: http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=264

DaytonaMike
11-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and advice Jay. Everything was straightforward just like in your link. Luckily my buddy is a highly skilled shade tree mechanic...me not so much but Im not afraid to get dirty and learn. He pulled everything apart just like the tutorial shows. I wasnt happy with the fit of that white plastic piece that protrudes out of the hub and accepts the speedometer housing. It seems sloppy in its fit. Im not totally convinced that its not moving around in there too. The bearing didnt turn very well at all at first. It sounded dry and crunchy (yes a technical term) but we didnt find any metal shavings and the balls all looked solid and in one piece. Thats why we decided to grease it and see how it would do. The grease helped it move better while in our hands but in the end did not solve the issue. The tightness of the axle bolt is concerning to me though. Too tight and the wheel doesnt spin nice and smooth. Too loose and Im worried it will fall off over time. I know locktite will cure my worries but we didnt have any handy. We used thread tape for now. I got some videos with my phone of the sound while we spun the wheel by hand. Sometimes its nonexistent and other times it lasts several seconds and happens in either direction of wheel spin. I will try to post the video but not sure how.

Jay In Milpitas
11-22-2015, 01:51 PM
I know locktite will cure my worries but we didnt have any handy. We used thread tape for now. I got some videos with my phone of the sound while we spun the wheel by hand. Sometimes its nonexistent and other times it lasts several seconds and happens in either direction of wheel spin. I will try to post the video but not sure how.

I think you can post the video anywhere like Youtube and just post the link to it here.

Loctite is good, but not the only product that stops stuff from falling off. Weather strip adhesive (aka Yellow death/gorilla snot) applied sparingly to threads and allowed to set up before assembly is good. I have even seen dollops of latex house paint keep a nut from backing off.

But first, get the original problem corrected.

DaytonaMike
11-22-2015, 01:56 PM
https://youtu.be/3PceESQ3gfw

SpudRider
11-22-2015, 02:01 PM
This is not a good situtation, Mike. :ohno: If the bearings sounded "dry and crunchy" when you examined them, they are probably damaged. I wouldn't ride any farther than the dealership until after they diagnose, and fix the problem.

SpudRider
11-22-2015, 02:07 PM
I just watched your video. Either a bearing is bad, or the speedometer sensor is damaged. You should be protected by your warranty coverage; it's obvious this is a factory/dealership defect. Perhaps the dealership installed the front wheel improperly when they assembled the bike.

Once again, I advise you not to ride the bike any farther than the dealership until after they diagnose, and fix the problem. The should swap a front wheel assembly from another motorcycle, and send you away quickly as a happy customer. They can fix the bad wheel later, rather than make you wait. ;)

DaytonaMike
11-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Yes, I agree. I was just hoping for a quick and easy fix since its a brand new bike and I want to ride and not wrench. Its parked for now and I hope to get to the dealer tomorrow. Luckily taxis are cheap enough here. I can go anywhere in town for about $1.50 USD

Weldangrind
11-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Even silicone will work as a thread locker in a pinch.

DaytonaMike
11-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Let me start by saying that you guys and this forum are awesome. I really appreciate all of the great information, advice, stories, technical data and I am sure a few lies that get posted here daily. Last week and this week at work I have had nothing to do...yes, literally nothing to do, so I have been here and/or on other sites all day long. Ok now to the point. My bike is sitting at home with what I hope is only bad front wheel bearings waiting for me to get off work to take it for repair. I have been researching the hell out of the issue and think I may have found another issue. The buddy that helped me work on the bike yesterday and I were looking at the owners manual posted on this site (Thank you Spud) and he thinks that maybe the spacer/sleeve shown in the photo below is not in there. We didnt remove the bearings yesterday only greased everyhting well. But he thinks when he had his finger in that space that he doesnt remeber if he flt it there. This may be the reason for the bad bearings and also for the fact that the wheel gets difficult to spin the tighter you make the axle bolt. We will hopefully verify tonight. I am tempted to do the repair on the bearings myself because I am worried the dealer will want to keep the bike a day or two if I make a warranty claim. But if that spacer is missing I may be really screwed for a while since I am sure that its not a common or in stock part for them. Does anyone have any information on the specifics on the size of this part so that if needed I can have one made?? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

DaytonaMike
11-23-2015, 02:11 PM
One other note for bikes with a carb. I noticed last night when I was looking at adding an inline fuel filter that the bike does not have a hose clamp on the carb side of the fuel line :doh: An easy fix but a sloppy mistake on someones part. Jut an FYI for those with carbs to double check their bikes. The hose is a very tight fit to the nipple on the carb but thats when the bike is cool. When everything gets hot it may be a different story.

peperino
11-23-2015, 02:50 PM
The bike comes with a clamp. Maybe the dealer 'forgot' to put it in for some reason

Here's a pic of mine (I'm from Argentina, its called the Corven Touring here) when I was removing the fuel tank

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 04:54 PM
...maybe the spacer/sleeve shown in the photo below is not in there. We didnt remove the bearings yesterday only greased everyhting well. But he thinks when he had his finger in that space that he doesnt remeber if he flt it there. This may be the reason for the bad bearings and also for the fact that the wheel gets difficult to spin the tighter you make the axle bolt...

...Does anyone have any information on the specifics on the size of this part so that if needed I can have one made?? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the wheel bearing spacer is necessary. It prevents side loading of the bearings. If this spacer is not installed, the wheel will definitely bind when you tighten the axle. However, this bearing is installed at the factory, and it can't come out unless your remove one of the wheel bearings.

If this wheel bearing spacer is missing, and you didn't remove it, you got a defective wheel from the factory. In that case the dealer should pull the front wheel off another motorcycle, and send you home as a happy customer. ;)

The dimensions of the wheel bearing spacer are critical, and I don't know the dimensions. :shrug: Riding a bike without this spacer will damage the bearings. If the dealer won't swap a front wheel for you, he needs to replace the bearings as well as install the missing spacer.

Jay In Milpitas
11-23-2015, 06:31 PM
There appears to be two parts between the bearings.

1. Support ring: http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Support-Ring-p/z50-109.htm

2. Spacer or inner bush: http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Inner-bush-hub-p/z50-110.htm

Depending on how the middle of the hub is machined, it's possible the bush fell below the axle line while the axle was out. The worry is on the dealer and distributor.

Adjuster
11-23-2015, 07:01 PM
My bike also has a bushing tube inside the hub between the two bearings. It appears to serve no purpose and I thought about leaving it out.

/

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 08:48 PM
The wheel bearing spacer (bushing) is necessary. It prevents side loading of the bearings; that is why all my motorcycle wheels have them. ;) The support ring keeps the spacer/bushing in the middle of the hub, so it doesn't slip down, making it hard to get the axle through the hub. :)

Adjuster
11-23-2015, 09:42 PM
My new bearings I could spin the center of the bearing with my finger. When I installed the bearings that center bushing tube put pressure on the bearings and I could no longer spin the center with my finger. I am guessing they are likely spinning as needed with the hub axle but I could no longer turn them with my finger. That kind of surprised and worried me that something went together wrong.

/

Adjuster
11-23-2015, 10:09 PM
And a related question in regards to the bearings and axle. I am not sure how to phrase this correctly. When the wheel spins does the axle spin in the center of the bearings? Or does the center ring of the bearing spin?

/

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 10:43 PM
And a related question in regards to the bearings and axle. I am not sure how to phrase this correctly. When the wheel spins does the axle spin in the center of the bearings? Or does the center ring of the bearing spin?

/

Neither the axle, nor the center races of the bearings are supposed to spin. The axle and center races of the bearings are supposed to form a solid, or almost solid unit. This prevents lateral, or side loading on the bearings. The bearings are supposed to spin on the outer races, which are connected to the hub. ;) This arrangement also prevents the axle and inner races of the hub from wearing down due to abrasion.

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 10:44 PM
My new bearings I could spin the center of the bearing with my finger. When I installed the bearings that center bushing tube put pressure on the bearings and I could no longer spin the center with my finger. I am guessing they are likely spinning as needed with the hub axle but I could no longer turn them with my finger. That kind of surprised and worried me that something went together wrong.

/

There is no need to worry. That is exactly the way the wheel bearing spacer/bushing is supposed to operate. ;) If you install the axle without the wheel bearing spacer/bushing, you can tighten the axle too much, and it will put lateral pressure on the inner races of the bearings. This will make the wheel hard to turn, and the lateral force will also damage the bearings. :ohno: For more information, read replies #6 through #13 at the following thread. ;)

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=54908.0

Adjuster
11-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks Spud. Looks like everything is as it should be.

/

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 11:01 PM
You're welcome. :) You raised an excellent question, which deserved a detailed answer. ;)

Adjuster
11-23-2015, 11:02 PM
Thats some good bearing information on that Guzzi forum.

/

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Thats some good bearing information on that Guzzi forum.

/

Indeed, that is an informative thread. :)

As a general rule, trust the engineers who designed the bike. ;) The put the wheel bearing spacer/bushing inside the hub for good reasons. :tup:

DaytonaMike
11-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Adjuster and Spud definitely a good question and answer. I was wondering that myself. Thank you.

Ok an update. I tried to make an online appointment yesterday with the main service center here in town (we have 3) Its the only one that has online scheduling. For warranty work the first available was December 2nd :wtf:. So without an appointment I went to one of the other centers. When I arrived at 415pm there were 4 mechanics standing around talking and a guy behind the counter. I explained what I believe is the problem and one of the mechanics took it for a ride. He heard the noise and they agreed. But they told me the official technician was out for the day and I could leave the bike. I declined and said I would go back today after work. Keep in mind I dont speak Spanish but was armed with my video that shows the noise and the spanish translation for ball bearings.

Another thing..The bike stalled on me yesterday without warning and the front brakes are getting very jumpy. I have been riding really easy and hadnt noticed this before. I use the front brakes exclusively on the street and will have them check this too. Soon I want to replace the pads with the ones Spud recommends if whatever they do at the service center does not make me happy. It has stalled once per day of riding but yesterday there was nothing I could point to that was maybe my fault. I was just sitting at a traffic light idling. Will keep the updates coming. But damn riding this bike always put a smile on my face. Loving the sound, the power, the handling, the style, the whole Zong package.:yay:

SpudRider
11-24-2015, 09:19 AM
If you lift the front wheel, and spin it, does it wobble? If a loose bearing causes the wheel to wobble, the brake won't work properly. See reply #6 at the following thread.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=54908.0

Since your bike has a carburetor, you will need to adjust the jets and pilot mixture screw to tune the fuel mixture.

Once again, I caution you not to ride the bike very much until you get the front wheel fixed. Riding in heavy urban traffic is especially dangerous.

DaytonaMike
11-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Spud thanks for the info and the link. Back to the shop this afternoon and I hope to get everything sorted out then. Really appreciate all the great info and advice here!!! Took a taxi everywhere yesterday to avoid riding except to the shop. Today I am on the bike but work is only 5 minutes from home and the shop is only about 8 or 10 from there. We dont have any highways here so speeds rarely get above 30mph in my normal day to day riding around town. Keeping a firm grip on the bike when riding expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

I want to try and tackle all 3 issues in one visit today. Brakes, Bearings and Carb. I hope they cooperate at the service center and I can get that done. The only thing I could probably live without them fixing today is the carb but we will see what happens.

SpudRider
11-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Good luck. Please do keep us updated. :)

DaytonaMike
11-24-2015, 07:45 PM
The service center pulled the wheel and the bearings today and there was NOT a spacer between the bearings :hmm::ohno::tdown:. They had one fabricated and installed it along with a new set of bearings. The front wheel spins nice and free now and the axle nut can be tightened to spec. :yay: They also checked the brake issue and I am not sure if they made any adjustments but they are working fine now. Very happy with the fast and friendly service I received today from the guys a Maxi Motors Del Meta in Villavicencio.

SpudRider
11-24-2015, 11:57 PM
Good for you. :tup:

As I stated in post #37 of this thread, the missing spacer would definitely cause problems with the front brake. ;)

Weldangrind
11-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Is there no shoulder for the bearing OD to register against?

SpudRider
11-25-2015, 01:09 AM
Is there no shoulder for the bearing OD to register against?

The outer race is supported by the hub.

DaytonaMike
11-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Last night the tech lowered my idle speed down to 1400rpm. I think it was running at about 2100rpm. The bike stalled on me on my way home but I didnt give it a thought. This morning the bike stalled during every stop on my way to work. That was about 5 times in 6 minutes. Sometimes it took 3 or 4 attempts to restart. To avoid this I kept a little tension on the throttle to keep the RPM´s up but this shouldnt be. Reading around I am now concerned I am developing the stalling issue that some have reported. The bike now has a total of about 70km on it. Any advice on the idle speed? Any other issues I should look at? I have read some posts about charging the battery, adjusting the carb, etc. but everything was fine the first 69km except the wheel bearings and that was just a sloppy assembly mistake. :shrug: Am I being overly critical, is hypochondria setting in after reading so many posts on so many sites about issues??? Should I crank the idle back up and not worry about it? Should I give the bike more time to break-in?

Juanro
11-25-2015, 11:43 AM
This is the carburetor version right?
For a new, not yet broken in bike, 1400rpm is a bit low.
Adjust it with your fingers, using the knob below the fuel petcock, turn it a bit clockwise to raise the idle a bit.
I found in my bike that I use this adjustment even instead of the choke when cold. Choke causes the motor to stall almost inmediatly. When I first fire it up in the morning I rise idle to about 2K, wait a minute to get it warmed and then dial it back to 1700.

DaytonaMike
11-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Yes, Carb version. Thanks Juanro will give that a try.

SpudRider
11-25-2015, 02:55 PM
I suggest you increase the idle speed for now. You need to tune the carburetor. You probably need a larger pilot jet. Before the mechanic slowed the idle speed, did the idle speed increase by itself when the engine got hot?

Juanro
11-25-2015, 04:02 PM
If the carbs come from factory in Colombia the same than here in Argentina, jets (both main, pilot and enricher) are way larger than needed.

Jet sizes from factory:
Main #141
Enricher ("choke") #70
Pilot #46 (this is a jet/diffusor combo)

Sizes I'm using:
Main #135
Enricher #35
Pilot #46 << this I couldn't find replacement so I left it like that... but I had to set pilot screw almost all the way screwed in to get stable idle with no plug fouling so I'm pretty sure is larger than needed. If I can't find a compatible jet #40 or less I plan to partially plug it with a copper wire, ha!)

With this combination I get good middle throttle performance, no hesitation, no backfiring on deceleration, and excellent WOT (perhaps still a bit rich but I prefer it that way, rich mixture = cool engine) and fuel consumption went down about 20% from factory settings

DaytonaMike
11-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Thank you Juanro thats exactly what I needed for the technician. They told me today that they know there is an issue with the carb and they asked if I could leave the bike. I couldnt today but will try to leave it with them tomorrow night and pick it up Friday afternoon. I hope to lay down some miles this weekend if time allows. I want to get it tuned in and broken in so I can make a trip in mid December to another state. Of course a ride report will follow, with pics.

Juanro please check your PM´s. If possible I need a favor

Juanro
11-25-2015, 09:36 PM
PM sent!
By the way: Main and Choke jets are compatible with auto carb jets, don't know the specifics... but I live in a small town, went to the auto parts store with the jets in my hand and came back with a few sizes to try, very cheap.

SpudRider
11-26-2015, 12:09 AM
PM sent!
By the way: Main and Choke jets are compatible with auto carb jets, don't know the specifics... but I live in a small town, went to the auto parts store with the jets in my hand and came back with a few sizes to try, very cheap.

That's a good thing to know. :) Thanks for posting the good tip. :tup:

RedHawk47
11-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Two thoughts:
I had a KTM 950 Adventure that stalled every time I stopped, unless I kept the revs up. By the time I had 1000 miles on it the problem had gone away. I think it was a tight engine and wasn't making enough power at idle to overcome the friction. Once it was broken in everything was fine.
Check to see that the "choke", actually a fuel enricher, is fully off when you think it is - no binding in the cable or mechanism, etc.

Dan

DaytonaMike
11-26-2015, 05:29 AM
Thank you guys for the tips.

Dan - Ill check the choke cable to make sure it is not binding. Ive also been wondering the same. Im so anxious for it to be correct that I am rushing the normal break-in process. Ive only got 80 km on it.

DaytonaMike
11-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Dropped the bike at the service center Thursday night. Friday they removed the carb and found some debris. They thoroughly cleaned everything and all is good in the world. Went for my first real ride Saturday morning trying to lay down some miles so I can get my first 500km service done before my road trip on December 14th. Bike runs great and everything feels solid. The stock seat seems to be good. I rode around town and on the outskirts for about 2 hours. Stopped and had some custom decals made for my top case in reflective white. Only cost me $5 USD custom designed and installed.

The views from an old bridge. The weather was perfect.

RedHawk47
11-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Photos of the decals?

SpudRider
11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm glad you got everything fixed. It seems you have a very good dealer with which to work. :tup: Thanks for posting the beautiful photos from Colombia. :)

DaytonaMike
11-30-2015, 01:47 PM
RedHawk - Ill get some pics tonight. I wanted to post some close ups of a few of the parts they have added to our RX3´s here from AKT. So I will try to get them done and posted. Some farkles that you all may be interested in. I was having too much fun riding Saturday to stop and snap more pics.

Spud - Yes, very happy with the bike. Tried not to let the initial excitment of a new toy get tarnished by a few minor issues. It helped tremendously to have the service center not blink an eye at the issues and take care of them quickly. Like I said in another post ....Good service is good for all of us. We can all live with bugs that can be expected but its how they are taken care of that tells the true story. The company here, AKT, has a pretty bad reputation for cheap motos with lots of problems but I think they are doing a good job of turning that reputation around with bikes like the RX3 in their line up. :tup:

DaytonaMike
11-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Pics of the decals I had made. Wanted something to help brighten the rear and the side view of the big black box.

DaytonaMike
11-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Does your key fold? The AKT key folds 90 degrees and nobody can tell me why. Any ideas? :hmm::shrug:

SpudRider
11-30-2015, 08:14 PM
No, my keys don't fold. Those are nice decals. :)

rjmorel
11-30-2015, 09:22 PM
"Does your key fold? The AKT key folds 90 degrees and nobody can tell me why. Any ideas?"

Too keep them from snapping off in the cylinder if accidentally hit ?????? or if you leave them in the cylinder and ride around with the key folded ,nobody will think there's a key in it ?????? Beats me. rj

Jay In Milpitas
12-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Does your key fold? The AKT key folds 90 degrees and nobody can tell me why. Any ideas?

You must be in an area subject to direction changing cross winds. The folding portion allows you to use it like an aircraft rudder to cancel out yaw.

SpudRider
12-01-2015, 12:20 AM
:ohno:

:hehe:

adriansk8
12-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Hello Riders! :tup:

I share this little video I made days ago on the weekly meeting of Medellin adventour club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyg7jks7vjo

DaytonaMike
12-01-2015, 10:13 AM
I´ll try riding with the key folded today but if my roll, pitch and yaw get screwed up I´m blaming Jay in Milpitas!! :tdown: and of course messaging Spud for a fix since he has all the correct answers!:tup:

Adriansk8 thanks for the videos. I was in Medellin last year for a few days. Loved the weather and the people. Definitely a beautiful area.

SpudRider
12-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Hello Riders! :tup:

I share this little video I made days ago on the weekly meeting of Medellin adventour club.

Thanks for posting the video from Medellin. :) I counted twenty-seven, Zongshen RX3 bikes in a row. :tup:

DaytonaMike
12-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Bike has been running great. Actually I am having too much fun but havent really had much chance to get out and ride as much as I have wanted. Now have about 320km on it. I need to hit 500km ASAP so I can have the first service done before my planned trip on the 14th that will put about 1,200km on it. They only allow the first service between 500 and 1000 km to maintain the warranty. Its a big window for normal day to day riding but will miss it if im on my trip. Anyway recently developed an oil leak. It started as a drop or two on the floor after arriving home after work. Now the leak is getting worse. I have been keeping an eye on it and constantly checking the oil level. Also documenting everything with pics for the service center and sending copies to them. Today it seems to be much worse after my 2 hour ride into the mountains. I also had the coolant boiling out of the reservoir near the end of the ride. Rode directly to the service center and dropped the bike off.
I believe the oil leak is coming from a bad/missing gasket/seal at the point noted with the arrow. Not sure about the coolant issue today. The level always has been good and the temperature never went above 3 bars and I never heard/felt the fans kick on. But it was spitting coolant everywhere out of the area around the cap on the reservoir.

SpudRider
12-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for posting the update. :)

I'm sure the service center will fix the problems. If the gasket is not missing, they might need to tighten the bolts on the stator cover. ;) I believe your bike might have the wrong coolant; I think there was a manufacturer's recall for the coolant in Colombia. If the radiator fans didn't start, you might have a bad thermal switch, et cetera.

It is well you are discovering these problems before you begin your trip. ;)

DaytonaMike
12-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Finally was told today that I could pick up the bike. When I arrived at the time they told me the bike was still disassembled. The mechanic started to assemble everything and showed me the old gasket that they had replaced. He also advised that he believed that air trapped in the system caused the coolant issue I had Saturday morning. He assembled the bike and started it up. Immediately oil began to leak from around a bolt head noted in the photo below with the black arrow. The white arrow is the location of the gasket they replaced. He tried tightening the leaking bolt and was not having success. He removed the casing cover with the new gasket so he could get better angle on the leaky bolt. Still no luck. He then noticed what appears to be a crack in the engine block. The hairline crack is about 1 to 1.5 cm long and is directly behind the hose shown with the red arrow. They advised that they would need to call the importer (AKT Motos) in Medellin on Thursday and advise them of the issue. The problem is the block contains the ¨VIN¨number (not sure if its a VIN number or not but it is critically important and I can not even imagine the paperwork nightmare if they had to change the block and issue a new number). As I said before I am just starting a 6 week vacation and now learn that I may be as long as 2 weeks or more without my brand new motorcycle leaves me a little more than pissed off at the situation. I am trying to stay calm and positive about it and will update as soon as I get word about what the head office has to say.

SpudRider
12-09-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the hairline crack. Apparently the crack is located in the left crankcase half. If so, they will need to tear down the entire engine to replace that part. :ohno: It would be much easier to install a new engine for you.

The engine doesn't contain the VIN. The VIN is stamped on the right side of the bike's frame, near the triple tree. ;)

DaytonaMike
12-09-2015, 11:16 PM
We will see what they decide to do. I hope whatever they decide they do it quickly so I can enjoy some of my vacation. We have a number stamped here on the engine itself. I photoshopped it out but its to the right of the red arrow. That number and the VIN that you describe are documented on all paperwork here. You have to take an imprint of those two numbers to the DMV office when you sell the bike. My new bike actually has the blue ink still on it where they took an imprint, I assume for the documents of ownership. I will keep you posted. For the record, The service center staff has been very helpful and hasnt hesitated to make the needed repairs. That said they are at the mercy of the AKT headquarters as too what they can do under warranty. So I Await their decision.

SpudRider
12-09-2015, 11:39 PM
I wish you the best of luck. Please do keep us updated.

superdude
12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
From looking at the photo of the crack it looks clearly like a case of that bolt being over-torqued. I've done that myself way more times than I'd like to admit even on a few year old Honda 1100cc motor...probably the most important place on any motorcycle to pay attention to the torque specs IMO because anything over torqued will surely crack the soft aluminum cases. Is that others experience as well? Sorry to hear all the troubles you're going through and hope it gets resolved soon. :/

adriansk8
12-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Hello!

I share some pictures I took on a trip made ​​the Eje Cafetero.

Traveled a total of 870 km in 4 days , I was in the following towns , Salento, Finlandia , Armenia, Quimbaya , Montenegro, Calarca , Alcala , Cartago and Pereira.

get a little tired of my ass . :hehe:
hahahaha

Greetings !

SpudRider
12-15-2015, 03:04 AM
Thanks for posting the beautiful photographs from the trip in your lovely country. :)

DaytonaMike
12-15-2015, 05:14 AM
Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing. I love Salento. I think it has to be my favorite city in Colombia. Valle de Cocora, home to the tallest palm trees in the world, is beautiful and all of the coffee farms make that area a perfect destination. Im jealous and ready to get my moto back so I can do some traveling too!

DaytonaMike
12-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Anyone following the blog posts from Colombia?? He´s doing a great job showing the beauty and diversity of Colombia.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/

SpudRider
12-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Indeed, I am following the CSC Blog reports from Colombia. :) Joe is an excellent writer and photographer; I am enjoying his posts very much. :tup:

RedHawk47
12-21-2015, 12:02 AM
Indeed, I am following the CSC Blog reports from Colombia. :) Joe is an excellent writer and photographer; I am enjoying his posts very much. :tup:

++1

Jay In Milpitas
12-21-2015, 12:26 AM
Wife & I both laughed at the animal warning signs. Then again, Colombia doesn't have signs warning of Bison crossing.

adriansk8
12-22-2015, 02:08 PM
If I followed closely CSC 's blog , from the first day I've been there reading and watching each very glad that make the trip in my beautiful country published photos.
Stay tuned to Joe's comments with reference to the technical differences CYCLONE RX3 and AKT ADVENTOUR

Greetings Riders ! :tup:

Danimal
12-22-2015, 02:30 PM
So who in Columbia is willing to take PayPal payment from me for a headlight guard and then send to me in the States?
Name your cost within reason!

CSCDude
12-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Guys (and Gals):

I spent the day in the AKT Moto plant with their GM. Watch the CSC blog in a few days for video and photos. Too tired to post tonight, but I will once I am home.

And that headlight guard you (and I) saw and liked so much on the AKT bike...stand by...you might be surprised. My visit today wasn't just a social call (even though the lunch in Medellin with AKT senior management and the guys from Zongshen was a lot of fun).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/1480606_10153354968466801_4630846276982444802_n.jp g?oh=4080d078dab7cf317c65f7f9971eaa89&oe=57179610&__gda__=1460013496_2f7e1dacde18557fce59787ed2ce67a 0

Joe

detours
12-22-2015, 08:39 PM
That's good news, CSCdude. That's a nice headlight guard!

More pics of the guard here - http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15541

SpudRider
12-22-2015, 09:10 PM
X2; that's very good news, Joe. :tup: Perhaps you can negotiate the availability of other nice accessories from Colombia, such as a muffler, pannier racks, et cetera. :)

AZRider
12-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Joe, I like that number tag on your chest. Both you and CSC are #1 in my book. Safe travels and have a great Christmas my friend.

rojo_grande
12-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Joe, Great blog/ride report from Columbia. Very entertaining and wonderful pictures. Making me anxious and excited for the Baja run. Can't wait.

Hope the see the headlight cage soon for the RX3 and TT.

Rojo

DaytonaMike
12-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Well its been a long two weeks so its now time for an update. As you all know the mechanic at the AKT service center found a hairline crack in my engine case. They contacted AKT´s main facility in Medellin to discuss the options for a repair/replacement. I also contacted AKT directly starting with private messages on their Facebook page. I had posted on their page before and they had replied in English so I thought that would be a good place to start. (if you hadn´t read it yet...I dont speak Spanish...yes, I live in Colombia and dont speak Spanish...dont judge me...LOL) AKT replied right away and asked me to forward a letter to them outlining my issues. I sent them a letter via email and a customer service representative contacted me within an hour or two. He said they received my letter and would look into the issue. Now keep in mind Colombia has some of the friendliest people in the world but some of the worst customer service I have ever seen and I have a 20 year background in customer service. To make a long story short AKT provided me with world class customer service. When the representative told me he was going to call me....he did. With or without an answer he called and said they were still working on it or they have made a decision. He kept me informed every step of the way. He was extremely polite and always professional. His English was excellent and he made me one very happy customer during a difficult time. AKT worked closely with the service center here in my city. AKT took the decision to replace my motorcycle and offered me a choice of colors from the inventory their main dealer here had on hand. I could choose black or brown. Although the white is beautiful and always my first choice the black looks great. AKT handled all of the processing with the dealer here and all I had to do was go and sign documents to complete the process. Finally today I received a call that everything was complete and I could pick up the new bike. AKT had my topcase removed from the other bike and delivered to the dealer for installation on the new bike. A small detail but very much appreciated since I had just had the decals installed recently. The new bike is running great. I think the only thing it needs is a carb adjustment. Im getting a lot of engine popping during deceleration but other than that it is so nice to be back in the saddle again. I want to thank Felipe at AKT Medellin for the excellent customer service and attention to detail in everything he did while handling my issues. It truly was world class customer service. Also the technician, Jhon, at the AKT service center, Maxi Motors, here in Villavicencio. He and Richard took excellent care of me during every visit to their shop. They were polite and professional and always trying to keep me happy, even with the language barrier. The AKT Adventour 250 TT is an amazing motorcycle. I love the power, the seating position, the ergonomics, literally everything about the bike is exactly what I want in a motorcycle. I know there are a lot of skeptics about Chinese bikes and a lot of skeptics about AKT bikes here in Colombia but I can now say from experience that this is an incredible motorcycle and even with the issues i had AKT stood behind their product and did what was right to make a customer happy. Thank you AKT & Maxi Motors Villavicencio.:thanks:

I hope all of you guys have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope to now start posting more in ride reports. Maybe not as good as Joe's blog on the CSC site but I will do what I can. Take care and stay safe!!

rjmorel
12-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Great outcome for you DaytonaMike. I'm glad the importers are going the extra mile for everyone that has issues with their bikes. You also have a safe and happy Christmas and New Years down there and we will love to see your ride reports since some of us are stuck inside with snow outside. rj

SpudRider
12-23-2015, 06:59 PM
The black bike looks great. :tup:

Thanks for reporting the superb customer service from AKT. :) The Zongshen RX3 is a great little motorcycle, and it will only become more popular when it is supported with such excellent customer service. :tup:

Weldangrind
12-24-2015, 01:15 AM
That's quite a remarkable example of good service. To me, the key was their willingness to communicate, whether or not they had new info.

SpudRider
12-24-2015, 01:59 AM
That's quite a remarkable example of good service. To me, the key was their willingness to communicate, whether or not they had new info.

I agree. :)

Companies such as CSC and AKT are building international goodwill for Zongshen motorcycles. :tup:

CSCDude
12-24-2015, 09:47 AM
I was not at all surprised to read about AKT's great service. The time I spent with them earlier this week convinced me that they are a responsive group of great people. All of their leaders impressed me greatly, particularly Enrique Vargas, their General Manager.

And I agree (after riding round Colombia on a black RX3 for the last 9 days); it is a beautiful machine.

Having spent the last 4 1/2 decades of my life in and around manufacturing organizations, I know that there will always be instances in which a product does not perform as intended. The measure of a great organization's success is not that they keep failures from ever occurring; it is that they continuously strive to drive the failure rate down and (more significantly) how they respond when failures occur. It was good to read your account of AKT's response to this problem.

As an aside, Colombia is a magnificent country populated by wonderful and friendly people. I hope all of you get to experience it as I did.

Weldangrind
12-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Companies such as CSC and AKT are building international goodwill for Zongshen motorcycles. :tup:

I agree.

Zongshen is doing their part by manufacturing terrific bikes.

rtking
12-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Joe's back in the US and just updated the blog. The assembly line in Columbia looks solid. And I guess that, since they're manufacturing in Columbia, they can pick their own colors (such as the bronze color) and add their own options. I see the AKT bikes on the assembly line have the auxiliary lights already mounted.

But one thing is clear to my mind: Zongshen has engineered a really solid bike that is working well in many parts of the world. But I think the customer service and good will from CSC and AKT are what completes the customer experience and supports the pride of ownership.

SpudRider
12-24-2015, 01:48 PM
I agree.

Zongshen is doing their part by manufacturing terrific bikes.

Joe's back in the US and just updated the blog. The assembly line in Columbia looks solid. And I guess that, since they're manufacturing in Columbia, they can pick their own colors (such as the bronze color) and add their own options. I see the AKT bikes on the assembly line have the auxiliary lights already mounted.

But one thing is clear to my mind: Zongshen has engineered a really solid bike that is working well in many parts of the world. But I think the customer service and good will from CSC and AKT are what completes the customer experience and supports the pride of ownership.

I agree completely with both of you. :)

SpudRider
12-24-2015, 01:53 PM
I am surprised, and impressed that AKT manufactures the Zongshen bikes in Colombia. :)

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/151222_2875-650.jpg

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/151222_2908-650.jpg

CSCDude
12-24-2015, 03:02 PM
I am surprised, and impressed that AKT manufactures the Zongshen bikes in Colombia. :)

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/151222_2875-650.jpg

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/151222_2908-650.jpg

They do, Spud. The whole Colombian motorcycling scene, the Colombian adventure ride I just completed with Juan and Carlos, the AKT story...it's all far more than I could fit into the blog. I'm thinking there might be another book here, ala 5000 Miles At 8000 RPM. What say you? Is there sufficient interest in this to warrant my gluing myself to the keyboard for the next 2 or 3 weeks?

DaytonaMike
12-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Along with the headlight guard the Version 2 or Full version of the AKT Adventour comes with these assorted guards. I finally got around to getting some photos posted. You can see the TT theme throughout the guards. This bike is called the AKT 250 TT Adventour here in Colombia.

RedHawk47
12-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Hey Joe,
Can you get these guards for us here in the US?

SpudRider
12-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting the photos, Mike. :tup:

I would like to get the brake caliper guards for my RX3. :)

detours
12-29-2015, 06:53 PM
I like those guards. Are they steel, aluminum or plastic?

DaytonaMike
12-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Detours, they feel like metal. The caliper guards are about 1.5 times as thick as the radiator guards. They feel heavy duty.

DaytonaMike
12-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Brake guards are about 3mm thick and the headlight and radiator guards are about 2mm thick.

detours
12-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Very cool. I'm officially interested in the headlight and brake guards ... maybe the rest too :)

DaytonaMike
12-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Im doing some research here. I havent seen any of those farkles for sale separately from AKT but looking to see what I can find out about availability and cost. Hopefully CSC will be offering them soon after his visit to the source here in Colombia. I am very interested in a center stand and the USB/power ports but the price is killing me. Will see what happens soon with possible future networking between CSC and AKT.Maybe they wil make us all happy and come up with one master farkle catalog for the RX3. I already read on another forum that the 3rd version set to come out in January of the Adventour is said to have fuel injection, a stainless exhaust system, handsavers and 10000 lumen aux. lights. Will keep you posted.

SpudRider
12-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Please do keep us updated, Mike. :)

Longboarder1968
01-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Version 2, now available here in Colombia, with upgraded headlight, usb socket, better carb, expedition lights. Will have the USB port and new carb installed, plus sintered brake pads on the front (THANKS guys for info on replacement parts) done at maintaince.

Longboarder1968
01-03-2016, 09:45 AM
They do, Spud. The whole Colombian motorcycling scene, the Colombian adventure ride I just completed with Juan and Carlos, the AKT story...it's all far more than I could fit into the blog. I'm thinking there might be another book here, ala 5000 Miles At 8000 RPM. What say you? Is there sufficient interest in this to warrant my gluing myself to the keyboard for the next 2 or 3 weeks?

Joe
Haven't been able to tour the AKT plant. I thought they were assembled not manufacturing them there. What are they getting from Zongshen and what do they manufacture in house? :thanks:

adriansk8
01-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Good Morning,

I commented that the day yesterday take the bike to the service center to Give you change carburetor doing AKT warranty by installing a TK carburetor, just 've ridden twice in the bike and I can give some of that lost some power to accelerate the bike , you will be going a little joy in this, but in many other improvements , such as walking at low rpm , and I think it will also improve fuel consumption .
also feels a little more serene bike.
I will continue to analyze the performance and they 'll be discussing.

Note: the previous mark carburetor was keima. :D

Juanro
01-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Adrian, do you know the model of the replacement TK carburetor? Also, do you know if it's a direct replacemente? Specially regarding air intake diameter and mounting bolts, and distance from air intake to air filter boot.

Longboarder1968
01-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Adrian I am not happy with the carb I have(version1). It is choppy and does not respond smoothly at low speed <3000 rpm. Will take it for replacement. What manufacturer is the new one?

Longboarder1968
01-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Took the AKT into a service center in Medellin. He read my problems and pointed out that the overflow tank was half full ie: carb also leaking. I Mentioned hearing about the new version2 TK replacement carb. Will see tomorrow how it gets corrected.

adriansk8
01-07-2016, 08:20 AM
good morning,

good in relation to the question , carburetor currently have TK is 34 mm unlike the previous Keima who was 36 mm.
just as I have that data.

I can say that the bike feel great as it is, he goes more evenly , starting a little lost , but regular sound .
in the morning to start you need to use shock.

Longboarder1968
01-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Just got bike from shop w/ new TK 34 carb & fuel gauge working. Much smoother especially at <3000rpm. Slightly less power with the smaller (34mm vs 36mm) carb. Easier control knob for adjusting idle rpms. No popping when deceleration or skipping on acceleration.

SpudRider
01-07-2016, 04:23 PM
I have a Teikei (TK) MV28 carburetor on my Zongshen ZS200GY-2. The TK carburetors are also installed on many Yamaha motorcycles; they are very good carburetors. :tup:

Longboarder1968
01-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I am very pleased with the new TK carb, he added the auto choke with idle adjustment screw which is nice. Will ride more today to check it out. :clap:

Longboarder1968
01-09-2016, 02:55 PM
After many short rides yesterday testing the new carb at low speeds, it was much improved over the original, but it needed the throttle cable secured(increase to 4000 rpm when handlebars turned to right) and carb readjusted slightly. :clap:After a brief stop at the shop for adjustments this morning the motor runs even smoother!!! More test runs today. :tup::clap:

adriansk8
01-21-2016, 09:47 AM
I share the website of our group here in the city of Medellin .
on this website we will be uploading all the information travel and activities we do.

http://clubadventtourmedellin.com/

SpudRider
01-21-2016, 01:41 PM
I share the website of our group here in the city of Medellin .
on this website we will be uploading all the information travel and activities we do.

http://clubadventtourmedellin.com/

Thanks for sharing the link to your excellent website. :)

Lee R
01-21-2016, 11:29 PM
I love seeing the RX3 pictures and video from down south. Thanks for posting the link and participating on the forum. I would love to visit Columbia someday on my RX3.

adriansk8
01-28-2016, 07:58 AM
Hello!

share document used for training mechanics AKT.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BznVDrylaAEnLVRJdi1xRmlHekk

:clap:

DaytonaMike
01-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Hello!

share document used for training mechanics AKT.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BznVDrylaAEnLVRJdi1xRmlHekk

Thats EXCELLENT Adrian!! :thanks:

SpudRider
01-28-2016, 11:45 AM
X2; thank you Adrian. :)

detours
01-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the share. That's awesome!

SpudRider
01-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Thats EXCELLENT Adrian!! :thanks:

Thanks for the share. That's awesome!

I translated this document into English. Each of the different systems (electrical, clutch, et cetera) has its own thread. These workshop manual tutorials are listed at the following link, which is posted as a sticky at the top of this forum. :)

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15630

adriansk8
01-28-2016, 01:44 PM
Hello Again!

Some pictures of the last trip of the Club Adventtour Medellin. (Ruta Lechera)

Grettings!

SpudRider
01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Thanks for posting the great photos. :tup: That is a long line of Zongshen RX3 motorcycles. :)

Was the photograph taken in Medellin?

adriansk8
01-28-2016, 02:01 PM
hi spud!

Was the photograph taken in Medellin?
The photos were taken in some villages in northern Antioquia, such as Entrerrios, Santa Rosa de Osos.

this was the route on Sunday.
http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=12062446

SpudRider
01-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks for posting the route. That looks like a fun ride. :)

How long does it take you to ride to Bogota?

LeandroR
01-29-2016, 08:05 AM
Hello everyone. Great forum. I live in Colombia and I own a Zong too. As with most of these bikes in my country, it has had some troubles (carburation, noises, poor braking, poor start, over heating, mirrors falling, etc). You may already know the dealer here modified the bike to sell it cheaper, around 30% less than it would cost. Anyway, despite these troubles, it's managed to run some 6000+ kms around the country. Here's the route and a few pictures. Regards. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207066151424560.1073741861.1003924519&type=1&l=6c9f4cc4f5

Weldangrind
01-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Welcome, LeandroR! Thanks for joining us.

SpudRider
01-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Hello everyone. Great forum. I live in Colombia and I own a Zong too. As with most of these bikes in my country, it has had some troubles (carburation, noises, poor braking, poor start, over heating, mirrors falling, etc). You may already know the dealer here modified the bike to sell it cheaper, around 30% less than it would cost. Anyway, despite these troubles, it's managed to run some 6000+ kms around the country. Here's the route and a few pictures. Regards. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207066151424560.1073741861.1003924519&type=1&l=6c9f4cc4f5

Welcome, Leandro. We are glad you joined us. :hi:

You live in a beautiful country. If you have time, please post a thread with some photos from one of your travels in our Ride Reports Forum. :)

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113

DaytonaMike
02-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Hello all,

Been away for a while. Started back to work and been busy getting out of vacation mode after 6 weeks of doing nothing. The NEW new bike is running awesome. I am loving every minute of it, when I can get ride time in. I ride it daily to work but thats only a quick 5 minute ride twice a day so not much to talk about there. But it still puts a smile on my face every time I twist the throttle. Looking forward to the next vacation so I can go somewhere. Its been ridiculously hot here. The only issue to report is that my left mirror fell off. I wasnt going to complain but when I took the bike in for its first service they noticed my crappy replacement job with a piece of mirror I had cut at a local shop and they asked me about it. Ten days later I had a new set of mirrors. Another excellent example of the customer service I have gotten from AKT and the local service center, Maxi Motors. I want to heat these up and see if I can get the glass to fall out and then use some super epoxy to stick them in again, just havent had the chance to do it yet. The issue on the original mirror was obviously a very poor quality adhesive used from the factory. Hope all is good with everyone. Love the pics from the Medellin club. Keep them coming!! I hope to make it up that way one day.

rjmorel
02-10-2016, 12:43 PM
. I want to heat these up and see if I can get the glass to fall out and then use some super epoxy to stick them in again, just havent had the chance to do it yet. The issue on the original mirror was obviously a very poor quality adhesive used from the factory. Hope all is good with everyone. Love the pics from the Medellin club. Keep them coming!! I hope to make it up that way one day.

Mike can you just put some clear silicon seal around the perimeter of the glass to hold it in as a safety backup for when it loosens again. Then when it's loosened on it's own , if it does, it would be easier to pull out and save you from some drama of trying to get it out the hard way ? rj

DaytonaMike
02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Yes, thats a great idea. I tried it with the right mirror but all I had was some cheap silicone and it yellowed very quickly and looked terrible. I will look to see if I can find some higher quality stuff.

Mike can you just put some clear silicon seal around the perimeter of the glass to hold it in as a safety backup for when it loosens again. Then when it's loosened on it's own , if it does, it would be easier to pull out and save you from some drama of trying to get it out the hard way ? rj

adriansk8
02-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Good Afternoon,

lately I is consuming a lot of fuel, and I have installed the new carburetor that are changing by warranty, TK carburetor, but still giving me a yield of 70-75 km/g.
Some of you who are on their bikes consumption?
I can configure as well the carburetor to better fuel efficiency?

olegeezer
02-24-2016, 04:38 PM
I recently purchased the 250TT in Medellin and began a tour headed south. I developed a fast idling issue and so I took the bike in to a dealer in Santa Rosa.
They performed the first warranty service and tried to address the fast idle issue (4000 rpm when stopped and the clutch is disengaged). In the same day I took the bike to 3 different dealers (two more in Pereira) and the last one adjusted the carb and apparently solved the problem. I have only put about 40km on it since the last adjustment so tomorrow I will know more. Otherwise I am very satisfied with the bike but I only have 700km on the clock.
I still haven't got a good measurement of fuel economy.

olegeezer
02-27-2016, 07:59 AM
The fast idle issue persists and I am now in Popayan, Columbia. An english speaking AKT rep has promised me a new and hopefully improved carb by Monday or Tuesday and it will be covered under warranty. More on those results later.
I did get a read on the fuel economy and it appears to be 66mpg. Maybe it will be even better with the new carb?
I's still liking this bike!

Longboarder1968
02-28-2016, 07:26 AM
It's been a bad week for the RX3, went for service and they found bad gas in the tank, drained tank, replaced filters, adjusted clutch and brakes, changed oil and filters. With the new carb(v-2)w/auto and manual choke, changed earlier, Starting, idling and low to mid level torque improved. Two days later battery died! They replaced the battery, probably with an identical brand and th next morning there was a puddle of battery acid under the bike and acid had splattered over the exhaust, shock, rear brake line. MotoGP(Medellin AKT service center nearby :thanks:)cleaned up as much as you can 'clean' acid spill, replaced(temporary) battery with used of a better brand and ordered all new parts, including new and hopefully different brand battery, shock, muffler, brake line and bolts affected by acid dump. :hmm:

Longboarder1968
02-28-2016, 07:37 AM
Olegeezer, had a similar problem when they changed mine(v1) to the TK carb with Separate auto choke. Carb adjustment AND cable adjustment helped. GL. :tup:

olegeezer
02-28-2016, 10:46 AM
I am assuming I will get the TK carb too?? Hopefully will know tomorrow.
I need to get back on the tour. The Hotel San Martin is nice but not what I came here for :(

adriansk8
03-02-2016, 04:09 PM
I come to comment that this presented a problem very common with our machines , as I have several friends who have screwed them the spring(elastic) gear selection .

This spare the time AKT do not, and spring(elastic) is a simple , but to make the bike repair is necessary to lower many parts, change oil , lower the coolant , finally it is hard work .

image I'm not sure if it's the part 3 or 15 .

SpudRider
03-02-2016, 08:32 PM
I read a report of spring #3 failing at the following thread. ;)

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?6634-Zongshen-RX3-report/page11

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16648&d=1417862084&thumb=1

olegeezer
03-15-2016, 03:05 PM
I had the new carb replaced under warranty in Popayan, Columbia. No cost other than my time and hotel charges waiting for the work to be done. The carb is performing well. I do not know which carb I got? I saw the carb and the box it came in but there was no labeling that I could find?
I have ridden the bike approximately 2600km so far and I am in Banos, Ecuador.
I have about 3 or 4 weeks before I go home and I am searching for a place near Quito to leave the bike and come back to it within a year.
The only other problem I've had is my auxiliary lights quit working. I have not had the chance to trouble shoot this issue but I will soon. If anyone has had this happen please advise. It should not be too complicated but I always think that in the beginning......

Longboarder1968
03-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Olegeezer have you checked on leaving the bike in Ecuador for a year. I thought 6 months was max for "transit" papers.

olegeezer
03-20-2016, 04:20 AM
Yes I believe that is correct. (6 months max) Getting the six month extension from Ecuador is also a pain I believe as far as paperwork goes. The current plan is to take the bike back to Columbia and since it was bought and registered there the time won't be restricted. I plan to store the bike in Columbia and return in less than a year to continue the SA tour.

DaytonaMike
03-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Saw this on a Facebook page from Medellín. Selling for about $30USD.
MEDELLIN
Hola chicos buenos días
Tenemos a la venta para la AKT ADVENTURE
Gato central $91.800
Porta Alforjas $98.800
Estamos ubicados en la cra 52#37-15
Local ABC MOTOS Diagonal a la estación del metro exposiciones.

Bienvenidos por acá ; )
Estamos en medellín pero hacemos envíos a todo Colombia, hablanos al 3008946773

adriansk8
03-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Good morning

Share link on our website rolled the western Antioquia.

regards!

http://clubadventtourmedellin.com/2016/03/22/recuerdo-rodada-occidente-antioqueno/

SpudRider
03-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks for sharing the link. :) That looks like a fun ride with a great group of riders. :tup:

adriansk8
03-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Hello! Riders!

I did tour along with some cousins ​​last week.

excellent bike behaved in a way a little more than 3 hours of road uncovered. (Trail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lO2hiEN63U

SpudRider
03-31-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks for posting the nice video. I'm sure you enjoyed a nice ride. :tup:

adriansk8
04-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Hello! Riders!

I once again around here, to share with you a video.

We left for the south western Antioquia .

regards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0TGEhtOmnQ

SpudRider
04-04-2016, 11:29 AM
It's great to see the Adventour 250 motorcycles out for a ride. :tup: Thanks for posting the nice video from Colombia, amigo. :)

DaytonaMike
04-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Hello all. I have been busy with work and havent had time to really participate in the forum. I have a few questions for you and hope you can offer some help. My AKT 250TT here in Colombia has been running great. Just a few minor issues that were easy to resolve. I now have 2000km on it. However last week it started to idle very high after it warmed up. Usually around 4000rpm. Then the engine sound changed and the heat from the engine seemed to increase drastically but the gauge actually started to read lower than normal. I took the bike for service to a shop that I feel is very competent. I picked the bike up and it was rough to start (3 attempts) which is not normal for me. Usually starts right up on the first bump of the starter. I always use the choke in the mornings and always fires right up. The bike seemed to run smooth for the short ride home (8 minutes). The next day the bike did not want to start and the choke seemed to have no affect on it. The bike is idling very low (for me anyway) at about 1500rpm. The mechanic really likes a low idle. I was struggling keeping the bike running especially when cold. Constantly bumping the throttle at each stop. The engine now sounds completely different to me. In first gear at take-off its very sluggish and sounds like an old tractor. Usually rides smoothly once rpm and speeds increase but the sound is still off to me. Its just not the same bike and it changed over night without warning. I am taking it back to the mechanic tonight but want to give him some ideas based on feedback from your collective experience. After the first visit he told me he only had to adjust the carb and clutch. I know my descriptions arent great but hoping someone has experienced this or heard of such issues and can offer some insight.

detours
04-11-2016, 05:39 PM
DaytonaMike, have you had the valves checked? As the valves tighten over time, the engine can become very hard to start.

If this is the issue, adjusting the valve gap will bring it back to life. The valves can be damaged if they are not kept in adjustment. CSC recommends checking the valves at 500 miles and every (I think) 4000 miles thereafter.

SpudRider
04-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Hello all. I have been busy with work and havent had time to really participate in the forum. I have a few questions for you and hope you can offer some help. My AKT 250TT here in Colombia has been running great. Just a few minor issues that were easy to resolve. I now have 2000km on it. However last week it started to idle very high after it warmed up. Usually around 4000rpm. Then the engine sound changed and the heat from the engine seemed to increase drastically but the gauge actually started to read lower than normal. I took the bike for service to a shop that I feel is very competent. I picked the bike up and it was rough to start (3 attempts) which is not normal for me. Usually starts right up on the first bump of the starter. I always use the choke in the mornings and always fires right up. The bike seemed to run smooth for the short ride home (8 minutes). The next day the bike did not want to start and the choke seemed to have no affect on it. The bike is idling very low (for me anyway) at about 1500rpm. The mechanic really likes a low idle. I was struggling keeping the bike running especially when cold. Constantly bumping the throttle at each stop. The engine now sounds completely different to me. In first gear at take-off its very sluggish and sounds like an old tractor. Usually rides smoothly once rpm and speeds increase but the sound is still off to me. Its just not the same bike and it changed over night without warning. I am taking it back to the mechanic tonight but want to give him some ideas based on feedback from your collective experience. After the first visit he told me he only had to adjust the carb and clutch. I know my descriptions arent great but hoping someone has experienced this or heard of such issues and can offer some insight.

I think you might need to adjust the pilot mixture screw (PMS) of your carburetor. If the PMS is set too rich, the idle speed will increase greatly after the engine gets hot.

You need to adjust the PMS with a hot, not warm engine. ;) After the PMS is adjusted properly, you can adjust the idle speed screw.

DaytonaMike
04-12-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks Detours. Thats what the mechanic thought too when I dropped the bike off last night. Thanks Spud I will send him a message to check adjustment on the PMS. Thanks for the info. !!!!!

DaytonaMike
04-15-2016, 08:54 AM
UPDATE...They adjusted the valves and carb. (I dont have specifics on what they did or what adjustments were needed) Damn I really need to learn Spanish. Anyway the bike is running great. Its actually running better than it ever has. Even when new it wasnt this smooth. Still loving my RX3!!! Now I just need time to get out and ride more.

SpudRider
04-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Good for you. :tup: Thanks for posting the update. :)

detours
04-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Glad they figured it out! Enjoy!

adriansk8
02-16-2017, 02:07 PM
ello,

Our Adventtour Club Medellin made a few days a social work to bring joy and some school supplies to some children.

Here I share a small video.

Regards!

https://clubadventtourmedellin.com/2017/01/30/recuerdos-labor-social-en-betania/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhIPhXEh4Ys

CSCDude
02-17-2017, 10:58 PM
ello,

Our Adventtour Club Medellin made a few days a social work to bring joy and some school supplies to some children.

Here I share a small video.

Regards!

https://clubadventtourmedellin.com/2017/01/30/recuerdos-labor-social-en-betania/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhIPhXEh4Ys

That's awesome.