PDA

View Full Version : A pros and cons list of the RX3 vs other bikes you've owned.

Lee R
11-22-2015, 01:22 PM
I'm sure some of you have located this forum through either google or advrider, or some other source, with the intent to do some research for a new motorcycle or for a companion to an existing motorcycle. I've owned a few ADV bikes from all the sizes and I'd like to point out some real world differences from the bikes I've owned in the past and currently for those on the fence or curious. I'm sure other members can compare to bikes they've owned to help you get a feel for the RX3 as you research.

Pro and Con:

CSC Zongshen RX3 (24 hp)

Pros:
Cheap parts!
CSC Service
2 year warranty.
It's as comfortable as a larger cc bike with a good seat or seat cushion.
Suspension works for me and I'm 280lbs. It's not great but does the job.
Screw adjustable valves, if you do your own maintenance you'll want them!
Lighter weight than all the other ADV bikes
Comes with luggage
Comes with really good crash bars (tested and approved!)
Fuel Injection
300 watt stator (I run heated gear and enough output is a must when it gets around freezing.)
A1 and A2 prewired accessories switches on the right grip, more bikes should do this!
It's about 4200 dollars after assembly and shipping fees. Less if you get free shipping.
Maintenance and operating costs are low, less oil, cheaper chain, sprockets etc.
Best adv bike I've used for dirt exploration

Cons:

Fuel economy is disappointing for me, 55 mpg avg.
Fuel range is only 130 miles until fuel light and empty tank indication. This would be a pain on cross country trips.
Front exhaust valves take longer than they should due to tight clearances, be patient and take breaks when the frustration gets high.
Lots of filters for an oil change!
Affected by wind more than larger bikes at highway speeds
Top speed of 75-85mph only on flats
Top speed on hills 62-75 depending on grade and rider weight, possibly lower in mountains depending on gearing.
Passing must be VERY carefully executed north of 60mph.
Buzzy in the 8-9000 rpm range
Weak 35w stock headlight bulb
Weak front brake

Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX (1151cc) (105hp)

Inexpensive in comparison to similar BMW R1200GS (about 8000 cheaper)
Absolute tank at highway speeds, best bike I've owned in windy conditions (Rode in 84 mph winds that knocked over 18 wheelers and other trailered trucks in Utah, bike was surprisingly stable)
Cruises effortlessly past 75mph
Passes easily into triple digit speeds
Top speed worthy of autobahn usage
Handles far better than it should
Excellent suspension
Excellent Brembo brakes
Extremely comfortable
550w Stator Output.
Comes with Trax Luggage, Engine guards, Wind deflectors for grips, Aux Lights, Aluminum Skid plate.
8.5 gal. Fuel tank
Extremely easy maintenance. Screw adjustable valves and no panels to pull for anything. Air filter under seat. Oil changes. Easiest of probably all modern bikes to maintain.
Shaft drive with no negative attributes
Excellent wind protection for an ADV bike
OK for dirt roads, works good at high speeds on dirt out west.
Twin headlights, good lighting
Engine character is sublime
Engine sound is music

600 lbs
A bit less power than other bikes in it's class, not noticed until your at 12k+ elevation trying to pass someone at 75+ mph.
Similar to airplanes Guzzi's have “stuff” that's no quite right, won't leave you stranded but not japanese in reliability. Mine has had a bad battery, battery tray (due to acid), small bubble on fuel tank (probably ethanol) and a “bruise” spot on lcd (possibly due to heat for windshield and sunlight)
Shakes like a Harley at idol, screws/bolts abandon ship occasionally.
It's a handful moving about garage or parking lots.
Not for short legged folks.
Some vibration noises in plastics at certain RPM.
Engine dies once and a while when idling and cold
Clutch makes a hell of a lurch sound when cold on the first use.
Dry Clutch
Parts can take a minute to get to you.
Dealers are rare if you need a dealer.
Poor fuel economy Avg. 36mpg

Triumph Tiger 1050 (1050cc 125hp)

That triple is amazing
It's as fast as the speed triple with more comfort.
Handles like a Multistrada or BMW S1000XR when suspension is dialed in or upgraded.
Excellent Brakes
Comfortable for all day (did 1049 miles in a day on this)
It's a sleeper and will easily embarrass sport bikes or anything else with a good rider
Triple sound is really good with a aftermarket exhaust
Really good corrosion resistance, used year round and in salt, still looked really good when sold at just under 50k miles.

Poor stator output
Extremely poor stock headlights, dangerously bad
Lots of loose parts for the first 10,000 miles, oil pan esp.
Stator went bad
Fuel economy 39mpg
Fuel Range 180miles
Maintenance was frequent and costly (6k checks, 12k valves.)
Shim under bucket valves

Suzuki Vstrom DL650 (66hp)

Reliable! (most reliable bike I've owned, zero issues, not one loose bolt either.)
Great gentle down low but fun-ish up top engine
Amazing stock headlights
50-55mpg and over 200miles to a tank

Mediocre suspension
Mediocre brakes
Bland bike to ride
Exhaust sounds bland
“no soul” motorcycle.
Shim under bucket valves
low stator output

Kawasaki KLR 650 (low 40's hp)

Huge fuel tank
50mpg
Average at everything
Parts everywhere
Been around a while so no secrets
21 inch front

Average everywhere
Poor brakes
Not stable at 70+ mph
Though it looks like a dirtbike I'd say its 80/20 road/dirt bike
Heavy for a “dual sport”
Plastic oil pan
Rusts easy
very poor stator output

SpudRider
11-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks for posting the detailed comparisons of those motorcycles, Lee. I learned a lot. :)

I'm not trying to nitpick, but I will add the following information. ;) I average 68 mpg with my Zongshen RX3, and I fill the fuel tank when I reach 200 miles on the trip odometer. That still allows me to travel another 50 miles before the fuel tank runs dry.

The headlight does a good job if you remove the anemic, 35W stock bulb, and install a 55W/60 H4 bulb. :)

You only need to clean the two oil screens every 10,000 miles. After the engine breaks in, these oil screens don't collect much debris. :) Therefore, you only need to clean/change the oil filter. Also, you don't need to change the oil filter every oil change. My Honda XR650L recommends changing the paper oil filter every 8,000 miles. ;)

Lee R
11-22-2015, 10:30 PM
I think the 55mpg is limited to me, I weigh a lot and I'm harder than average on the throttle. Just a negative for me personally. Many of you are getting better mpg.

For those out there in the research phase I definitely recommend the RX3. For those older riders who already had a fast bike it's everything you need and it's super fun at sub-interstate speeds!

I like mine so much I'm taking it to Newfoundland on a 10 day trip next July, because it's lighter and more ADV than my Guzzi. This trip will see some remote areas. If I didn't have confidence in Zongshen I wouldn't be using the RX3 for this trip.

In the end many of us here have owned a bunch of motorcycles. I think it silently speaks volumes that we are here for the value that the RX3 represents and I'm glad we have CSC bringing these bikes to use with excellent customer service.

They already sold a TT to me because I trust CSC/Zongshen from my experience with the RX3. Customer service is real and it matters. Look at other company's like Revzilla that are thriving because they make the experience of buying from the satisfactory every time. We don't build here in America like we used to, but we still know how to take care of a customer like nobody else. :tup:

DanKearney
11-23-2015, 09:07 AM
You've already got a TT?

Cheers,

Dan K.

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 10:56 AM
You've already got a TT?

Cheers,

Dan K.

No, the TT Special bikes won't arrive until next year. He's sold on the idea of purchasing one after they arrive. ;)

DanKearney
11-23-2015, 01:14 PM
He wrote "They already sold a TT to me" THat's why I ask.

Cheers,

Dan K.

SpudRider
11-23-2015, 05:04 PM
He wrote "They already sold a TT to me" THat's why I ask.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Yes, I know. You came to a logical conclusion. :) I merely explained what I'm sure he meant to say. ;) CSC has yet to set a final price for the TT Special. The CSC Blog reports they won't be taking orders for the TT Special for a few more weeks.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=18964

Lee R
11-23-2015, 07:58 PM
"Sold" as in I've had a good experience with CSC and the RX3 so I've already decided to buy one.

Like being "sold" on the idea.

Should have worded that one differently!

DanKearney
11-24-2015, 12:21 PM
"Sold" as in I've had a good experience with CSC and the RX3 so I've already decided to buy one.

Like being "sold" on the idea.

Should have worded that one differently!

Gotcha.

Cheers,

Dan K.