PDA

View Full Version : RX3 Stalled

jbfla
12-04-2015, 10:51 PM
:hmm: :wtf: >: EDIT: So far this appears to be a one time occurrence.

I have read about other RX3 stalling problems, and hoped it would be fixed by now.

It is not.

On my first 50 mile ride, I had to make a quick stop for a traffic light.

Let off the throttle and applied the brakes hard.

I stopped in time for the light, but the engine stalled.

The engine restarted after 3 or 4 cranks.

When the light changed, I started off, but the bike stalled again...in the middle of the intersection.

It would not quickly restart, and I had to push the bike through the intersection (with cars zooming around me) and to the side of the road.

The engine finally started after another 3-4 cranks.

There were no further incidents the rest of the trip.

This would not be a problem out on a trail....

...but in traffic, this could have gotten me killed.

None of my other, or previous bikes, have done this.

Hope there is not another occurrence.

jb

pete
12-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Yamaha XT660s do that.... easy sorted on them...
usely the TPS & idle settings...

Could be something simular on the RX3...

rtking
12-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Jbfla, sorry to hear of the stalling issue. Not fun when it stalls in an intersection.

Give Gerry at CSC a call. Maybe he can have you try or check a few things to help identify or at least isolate a cause. Gerry is very knowledgeable and responsive.

SpudRider
12-05-2015, 03:19 AM
Jbfla, sorry to hear of the stalling issue. Not fun when it stalls in an intersection.

Give Gerry at CSC a call. Maybe he can have you try or check a few things to help identify or at least isolate a cause. Gerry is very knowledgeable and responsive.

X2; I'd give Gerry a telephone call. ;)

jbfla
12-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Today I rode another 50 miles.

I found a deserted stretch of road, and tried to reproduce yesterday's stall.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/mascioj/CSC%20Motorcycles/PC050138_zpsktsokflw.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/mascioj/media/CSC%20Motorcycles/PC050138_zpsktsokflw.jpg.html)

After doing a half dozen hard, full stops from a cruising speed of 45 mph, and then accelerating back to 45.....

....I was unable to reproduce the stall that yesterday left me in the middle of the intersection.

Hopefully, it was a one time occurrence...one time is enough.

The rest of the ride was uneventful.

jb

AZRider
12-05-2015, 11:26 PM
If you haven't yet done your first valve adjustment, you may want to check them even if the mileage is early.

jbfla
12-06-2015, 12:22 AM
If you haven't yet done your first valve adjustment, you may want to check them even if the mileage is early.

The bike only has 100 miles on it. CSC told me that a valve check is part of their setup procedure...don't know if that is true or not.

jb

SpudRider
12-06-2015, 01:50 AM
I'm glad you had a nice ride. :) Is the engine warning light flashing a DTC (diagnostic trouble code)?

jbfla
12-06-2015, 08:34 PM
.... Is the engine warning light flashing a DTC (diagnostic trouble code)?

No flashing that I can see.

To show fault codes is it:

...cycle the ignition key on-off-on 3 times...????????

Tried to reproduce the stall again today but was unable to. :tup:

Another 50 mile ride through the orange groves.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/mascioj/CSC%20Motorcycles/orange%20grove_zpso4kvcxj1.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/mascioj/media/CSC%20Motorcycles/orange%20grove_zpso4kvcxj1.jpg.html)

jb

SpudRider
12-06-2015, 09:05 PM
No flashing that I can see.

To show fault codes is it:

...cycle the ignition key on-off-on 3 times...????????

Tried to reproduce the stall again today but was unable to. :tup: ...

Yes, the sequence is on/off, on/off, on; then look for the DTC.

Jay In Milpitas
12-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Just a thought, JB.

Might check the battery voltage at rest and connections at the battery and also the starter solenoid.

There have been several battery failures (mine included) and I know that if the engine (ECU, fuel pump, coil, etc.) doesn't have adequate amps available, it will quit.

In one of the tutorials CSC talks about various connections to check. I'd start right at the battery itself.

Good luck, and glad you are getting some miles on it.

jbfla
12-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Just a thought, JB.

Might check the battery voltage at rest and connections at the battery and also the starter solenoid.

There have been several battery failures (mine included) and I know that if the engine (ECU, fuel pump, coil, etc.) doesn't have adequate amps available, it will quit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I meant to put the charger on the battery when I first uncrated the bike, but somehow was distracted.

Today I put the smart charger on the battery, and it checked out OK.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/mascioj/CSC%20Motorcycles/Battery/battery%20charger_zps7haz1hqa.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/mascioj/media/CSC%20Motorcycles/Battery/battery%20charger_zps7haz1hqa.jpg.html)

No further stalling during another ride.

Ready for the 200 mile oil change.

jb

Jay In Milpitas
12-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Alright JB, 200 miles on the Chinese budget-cycle.

You've got the Scout, the DR, and the TW also.

Which one is bringing the smiles?

mckayprod
12-09-2015, 12:45 AM
My experience with stalling:

First, this is the easiest bike to stall I've ever ridden. I can stall it going up my driveway (suburban, 2-foot rise from curb to garage), I stalled it tonight trying to pull from the gutter to the crown in the street, it stalled when I downshifted to 2nd going into a curve on the way to work. It has always restarted, easily.

Second, MY bike has something of a step-function throttle...from idle to 3500 rpm. There's nothing in between. That makes it tricky to take off smoothly from a stop. It's weird, but I tried to smoothly make the engine run at 2000, 2500, 3000 rpm, but it won't smoothly roll on until 3500 and up. That locks me out of the meat of the "take-off" range, in my experience. I'll just keep on dragging the clutch, I guess.

All this has happened when the bike was pretty cold (except stalling going up the driveway...that could have been a first ride anomaly). A lot of this behavior gets better when the bike is warm. I'm willing to call this a "quirk" and live with it. If there's a fix, I'm all ears.

SpudRider
12-09-2015, 12:50 AM
How many miles have you ridden your RX3? Have you checked the valve clearances?

kohburn
12-09-2015, 08:03 AM
My experience with stalling:

if that is not common to all the rx3's (programming) then it would sound like a dead spot in the TPS.

SpudRider
12-09-2015, 11:19 AM
I agree. You might enjoy watching the following video. You should also consider making a telephone call to talk with Gerry at CSC. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skVHdgtMTU

mckayprod
12-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Just rolled past 1000 miles and I checked valves at the first oil change, 500 miles. The next scheduled valve check is at, what, 2500?

mckayprod
12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
if that is not common to all the rx3's (programming) then it would sound like a dead spot in the TPS.

And that's fixed by...a new TPS? Sounds like a phone call is in order. Thanks for the insight.

jbfla
12-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Alright JB, 200 miles on the Chinese budget-cycle.

You've got the Scout, the DR, and the TW also.

Which one is bringing the smiles?

They all bring the smiles....:)

The Scout is my FL power cruiser...really fast for a cruiser.

The TW200 is my "go slow" bike, used for NC/GA forest service roads.

The DR650 is also in NC, and is used for mostly on road, and the occasional forest service road.

I don't have enough miles on the RX3 to know how it fits with the others...somewhere between the TW and the DR.

Right now I'm riding the RX3 in FL, but in the spring I will ride it to NC, where it will live alongside the other two.

jb

SpudRider
12-09-2015, 10:04 PM
And that's fixed by...a new TPS? Sounds like a phone call is in order. Thanks for the insight.

You're welcome. :) Yes, make a phone call to CSC, and talk to Gerry, in the service department. Tell him the problems you have experienced. He will help you find the correct solution. ;)