PDA

View Full Version : RX3 Shut off while riding

RX3James
12-15-2015, 07:50 PM
OK OK OK....

So today for about the 6th time my RX3 just completely shut itself off electrically while riding. I'm just riding along, the tach goes to zero, the engine shuts off and the red engine light starts flashing.

Every time this has happened the circumstances have been similar. Just leaving the house or work, get about 2 blocks away and then it dies. Roll to a stop, pull in the clutch and try to restart it. ( I've noticed the RX3 doesn't really like to start while in gear and the clutch pulled in ) Shift it into neutral and after a few cranks she generally fires right up and I ride on. The first time it happened I didn't really think about it too much but now that its happened so many times it's starting to concern me more. Thank god this hasn't happened while riding on the highway or through town in busy traffic.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of any thing that I may have done to cause this issue. The only thing that I can think of is when I was checking my air filter a few weeks back I found a section of the wiring harness was in the way of the filter cover making it really painful to get to. I noticed a small hook or slot on the frame where it looked like the wiring harness belonged so I relocated the harness to that position and re zip tied it. I looked over all the connections and I didn't notice any thing loose or unplugged. Other than that I haven't messed with anything electrical at all on the bike.

So has anyone else had this issue or anything similar?

jbfla
12-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the shut off problem...can't help you there.

I did the same thing with the wiring harness blocking the air filter.

Now I'm thinking I should remove the harness from the hook in fear of it rubbing against the edges of the hook and causing an electrical problem.

jb

SpudRider
12-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Is the engine warning light flashing a DTC (diagnostic trouble code)? Have you checked the battery for low voltage, or a dead cell? Have you checked the valve clearances?

RX3James
12-15-2015, 11:53 PM
Is the engine warning light flashing a DTC (diagnostic trouble code)? Have you checked the battery for low voltage, or a dead cell? Have you checked the valve clearances?

The battery is only a few weeks old and it came from batteries plus with a two year warranty. I haven't checked the voltage yet. I'll have to check that tomorrow. I did the valve adjustment about 500 miles ago. But that's interesting.... Because honestly I do not remember this problem before I adjusted the valves. So perhaps you're on to something? Maybe I should take another look at my clearances this upcoming weekend!

RX3James
12-15-2015, 11:57 PM

Also... I've done the diagnostic check and it didn't give me any blinking lights or do anything other than the normal display and start up procedure.

SpudRider
12-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Good for you. I do recommend you check the battery first. If battery voltage is low, you will experience the problems you reported. ;) If all cells of the battery are good, then you certainly should check the valve lash. Also, make sure the spark plug cap is securely attached to the spark plug. Please do keep us updated. :)

Tiger12XC
12-16-2015, 05:55 AM
OK OK OK....

So today for about the 6th time my RX3 just completely shut itself off electrically while riding. I'm just riding along, the tach goes to zero, the engine shuts off and the red engine light starts flashing.

Every time this has happened the circumstances have been similar. Just leaving the house or work, get about 2 blocks away and then it dies. Roll to a stop, pull in the clutch and try to restart it. ( I've noticed the RX3 doesn't really like to start while in gear and the clutch pulled in ) Shift it into neutral and after a few cranks she generally fires right up and I ride on. The first time it happened I didn't really think about it too much but now that its happened so many times it's starting to concern me more. Thank god this hasn't happened while riding on the highway or through town in busy traffic.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of any thing that I may have done to cause this issue. The only thing that I can think of is when I was checking my air filter a few weeks back I found a section of the wiring harness was in the way of the filter cover making it really painful to get to. I noticed a small hook or slot on the frame where it looked like the wiring harness belonged so I relocated the harness to that position and re zip tied it. I looked over all the connections and I didn't notice any thing loose or unplugged. Other than that I haven't messed with anything electrical at all on the bike.

So has anyone else had this issue or anything similar?

Here is a problem Andy had with his bike over on the RX3 forums. Dirty ignition switch, he also said check the valve adjustment I hope this helps. Though I am having trouble finding the post someone had problems with an oily Mass Airflow Sensor causing stalling.
http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/showthread.php/232-Ignition-problems?highlight=ignition+switch

Jay In Milpitas
12-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Here is a problem Andy had with his bike over on the RX3 forums. Dirty ignition switch, he also said check the valve adjustment I hope this helps. Though I am having trouble finding the post someone had problems with an oily Mass Airflow Sensor causing stalling.
http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/showthread.php/232-Ignition-problems?highlight=ignition+switch

Here's the post Tiger mentioned: http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/showthread.php/241-Just-in-case-you-are-slowly-loosing-power

Tiger12XC
12-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Here's the post Tiger mentioned: http://www.rx3forums.com/forums/showthread.php/241-Just-in-case-you-are-slowly-loosing-power

Thanks Jay I remembered reading it but couldn't locate it.

Weldangrind
12-16-2015, 11:03 AM
...someone had problems with an oily Mass Airflow Sensor causing stalling.

For the unfamiliar, you can buy mass airflow sensor spray cleaner at most auto parts stores. CRC makes such a product.

katflap
12-16-2015, 11:08 AM
I had mine cut out once a while back but only for a few seconds. My post on it is buried deep some where in the mega thread.

Turned out to be a bit of corrosion on the ignition switch contacts.

Cleaned them up and smeared them in silicone grease, never had a problem since.

The ignition switch comes apart pretty easily, without to much risk of springs, balls and contacts flying every where.

I hope your problem is sorted as easily as mine was :tup:

SpudRider
12-16-2015, 12:54 PM

For the unfamiliar, you can buy mass airflow sensor spray cleaner at most auto parts stores. CRC makes such a product.

Actually, the device Andy mentioned is not an mass airflow sensor, it is a manifold air pressure (MAP)/ manifold air temperature (MAT) sensor. ;) Here is a photograph of both sides of the MAP/MAT sensor.

http://image4.pushauction.com/350/350/128460ae-a3f6-428f-934c-6fc7adc88712/d81c6ad0-df18-4d5c-83f3-27d6049265cc.jpg

This sensor is located in the intake manifold, downstream from the throttle tube, but upstream from the fuel injector. The MAP/MAT sensor is shown inside the orange oval in the photograph below. :)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/Zongshen%20RX3/GEDC1917_zpsmwhdrlht.jpg (http://s442.photobucket.com/user/spudrider/media/Zongshen%20RX3/GEDC1917_zpsmwhdrlht.jpg.html)

Because of its location, orientation and construction, I don't think the MAP/MAT sensor needs to be cleaned periodically like a mass airflow sensor. For some reason, Andy's sensor was oily. It's good to check this sensor, but I don't think it's a common problem for this sensor to get dirty. :shrug:

SpudRider
12-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Here is a problem Andy had with his bike over on the RX3 forums. Dirty ignition switch, he also said check the valve adjustment I hope this helps...

I had mine cut out once a while back but only for a few seconds. My post on it is buried deep some where in the mega thread.

Turned out to be a bit of corrosion on the ignition switch contacts.

Cleaned them up and smeared them in silicone grease, never had a problem since.

The ignition switch comes apart pretty easily, without to much risk of springs, balls and contacts flying every where.

I hope your problem is sorted as easily as mine was :tup:

Thanks for posting the good information on the ignition switch, gentlemen. :) Indeed, this is a good item to check. ;) Next riding season I am going to clean my ignition switch, and slather the contacts with dielectric grease. :tup:

RX3James
12-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks for posting the good information on the ignition switch, gentlemen. :) Indeed, this is a good item to check. ;) Next riding season I am going to clean my ignition switch, and slather the contacts with dielectric grease. :tup:

Today I checked battery voltage. It's good to go. I think the valves are probably good as well. they're not making any strange noises or tapping too loud. I am going to explore the ignition switch this weekend and see if that yields any results. I'm going to take a close look at the MAP/MAT sensor as well.

I rode the bike to work today and had no issues other than the extreme cold we're dealing with down here in SoCal :p LOL.... No but seriously my face is getting a little cold in the mornings... 46 is cold! :yay:

SpudRider
12-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Today I checked battery voltage. It's good to go. I think the valves are probably good as well. they're not making any strange noises or tapping too loud. I am going to explore the ignition switch this weekend and see if that yields any results. I'm going to take a close look at the MAP/MAT sensor as well...

Tight valves will cause the problems you are experiencing, and they don't make any noise. Only loose valves make noise. ;) If you want to check the MAP/MAT sensor, you will need to remove the fuel tank, so you really should check the valve lash while you are in there. ;)

RX3James
12-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Tight valves will cause the problems you are experiencing, and they don't make any noise. Only loose valves make noise. ;) If you want to check the MAP/MAT sensor, you will need to remove the fuel tank, so you really should check the valve lash while you are in there. ;)

Checked the MAP/MAT sensor today. It looked clean and free of oil and contamination. Since I was in there I took another look at the valve clearances and they seem to be exactly where I set them a few weeks back.

So.... Today as I was poking around I took a look at the starter/kill switch housing on the handle bar. It was definitely loose. I was able rock it back and forth on the bar about 1/4 to 1/2 inch either way. So I tightened that bad boy up to where it wont move any more.. Then I noticed the front brake line housing tube was loose as well. it rocked from side to side pretty easily. The screw holding it to the back of the starter switch housing was screwed all the way in but the base of the tube where the screw goes in was at an angle preventing it from being flush with the housing. I backed the screw out and straightened up the brake line tube and screwed it back together tight. I am wondering if the loose kill switch housing was causing my bike to die? I don't really know.. I'll have to ride around for another week or so and see if there are any differences.

I am going to take a look at the ignition tomorrow and see if there is any corrosion or loose wires that may be causing a short like some of you have stated may be the issue.

SpudRider
12-20-2015, 02:41 AM
Here are some more ideas. ;) Check electrical connections to the MAP/MAT sensor, idle stepper motor, throttle position sensor, and emissions canister purge valve. Verify the emissions canister purge valve is functioning correctly. Check both of the purge valve hoses for leaks. Check the intake manifold and throttle body for air leaks.