PDA

View Full Version : Break in time

pezgoon
08-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi, I know someones going to tell me to read the manual but thats the problem. I have a baja x250 and I got two different break in times for it, in the manual the break-in time is listed as ten hours, but on a bright yellow start up tag it says the break-in times 34 hours. And I am currently at 15 hours, I have tried emailing Baja's tech support twice now and I still have no answer from them. Could someone please help me with this?
Thanks

katoranger
08-24-2007, 08:40 PM
My breakin time was about 2 minutes so I may not be the best to answer. I used the ride it like you're goin ride it approach. So far at 2000 miles and it has been fine.

Split the difference at about 22 hours. That is about 440 miles at 20 mph.

Allen

pezgoon
08-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Ya my dad told me to jsut do in between he said to do 20 hours but close enough, and the manual does say to keep it under certain speeds in the different gears but since theres no way of telling speed it also says jsut to keep it under half throttle

and what do you mean by yours was only two minutes?

katoranger
08-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I started it. Let it warm up a couple of minutes and then took it to about 9k rpm. I never followed the recommended procedure. Just got on it and went. I got the engine hot and then shut it down.

Some will say that is bad, but it seems to work for me.

Allen

pezgoon
08-25-2007, 01:08 PM
haha from what ive been told that is bad, and what is the walmart seat mod?

culcune
08-25-2007, 01:47 PM
I started it. Let it warm up a couple of minutes and then took it to about 9k rpm. I never followed the recommended procedure. Just got on it and went. I got the engine hot and then shut it down.

Some will say that is bad, but it seems to work for me.

Allen

We had discussed the "rode it like you stole it" break-in method before Chinariders when we were all on the Yahoo! Groups. It seemed to have worked for some members, including Katoranger and Penguini66. Perhaps someone can create a new thread on the subject (I can't because I haven't used this method)

katoranger
08-25-2007, 02:08 PM
haha from what ive been told that is bad, and what is the walmart seat mod?

It is an ATV seat cover from walmart. Can be found the the redneck section of most southern walmarts for $15. I also installed a chunk of car seat foam under it. Search for "anyone try a gel pad" thread.

Using the grandma method has been called bad too, but I think either one is going to work. I just am not that patient. Gotta go go go.

Allen

pezgoon
08-25-2007, 08:33 PM
well baja finally emailed me back after three days and this was the message
Good day,

The break in period is 34 hours for the dr250.

the problem with that is i dont have a dr250... i have an x250... so i dont know whether to do it for 34 hours or twenty two eswpecially cause i might be going riding tomorrow and ill hit the twenty two hour mark and id love to really open it up cause half throttles getting boring fast...

i also found out who made my bike/motor after reading a plate which is riveted on the piece in a frame i think it is? its right infront of the rear tire (i was wondering who amde my bike in another post) and ive looked at this plate many times but never acutally read it and i found out its made by zhejiang xmotos corporation anyone heard of them? and should i pull this plate off, because it has already been hit by a few rocks and such and some of th epaint/writing has been taken off, and also there is a rubber piece under my chain so that when it goes over the frame it doesnt ruin it by digging in and such, and only after 15 hours it is almost about to be cut through and the chain has acutally cut a suprising ridge into the screw holding it down, whereas my kawasaki 110 is 3 years old and the protector on it isnt even as deep as this because its hard plastic. so my question is does anyone know where to get a new protector cause i have never seen one out there thanks

pezgoon
08-25-2007, 09:03 PM
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2906/dsc00059qd3.th.jpg (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00059qd3.jpg)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6868/dsc00060br6.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00060br6.jpg)

the rubber piece is in the top left corner underneath the chain

katoranger
08-26-2007, 09:33 PM
We have been covering that rubber guide in the DS forum. Also have made replacements from plastic cutting boards.

You could probably move that label to under the seat of something.

Allen