PDA

View Full Version : My close call

madmaximum
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I got home from work a little early today, supper was in the crock pot, so I had an hour and a half of free time....take the bike out!!
I rode around some of the gravel roads in the nearby state park, through some state game lands, just a nice relaxing ride. I was a few miles from my house riding on a paved secondary road, speed limit 35, which I may have been over by a few mph. I came to an s-turn that has a farm right on the turn. As I approached the turn i saw one of the farm owners & we waved at each other(he helped me fix my broken water line a few weeks ago) and i entered the turn. The next thing I see is a skid steer coming out onto the road, in my lane. I grab the brakes & he stops dead in the road, covering my side completely. The rear of the bike starts to skid & slide sideways, so I ease off the rear & get the bike straightened out. The skid steer guy starts to move again, I assume to try & get out of the way, but now he is blocking about 75% of the road. The rear tire is skidding & sliding again at this point, so I ease off again, and get past it.
I was pretty lucky. There were no cars coming the other way, and I was on a relaxing slow poke ride. A little faster or a car coming the other way and who knows????
Ride safe people, and remember you never know what is around the next turn or waiting in the bushes for you.

:side note: I'll try to get a picture of that farm sitting on the turn. I'm pretty sure there have been accidents there before.

AZ200cc
09-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Gets the blood flowing like mad when that stuff happens. Glad to hear You made it without harm to You or Your bike.

NewEnglandTrails
09-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Madmax,

Glad to hear all you got was an adrenaline rush!

Are we talking a steer as in an animal? Like the ones that pull at county fairs or is a steer skid a machine?

NET

Keep on riding careful..

madmaximum
09-06-2007, 04:57 PM
It's a machine...google caterpillar skid steer
I dunno about the adrenaline rush, but my knees were a bit wobbly after that.

NewEnglandTrails
09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Ok..

It looks like a Bobcat on steroids.... I would be more worried about spooking an actual animal... Ive rounded the corner a few times with a truck and found actual... Steers... the animal version halfway across the road.

The steers... I have encountered have been rather docile... I guess due to their neutering... but... I never pressed the envelope... they are far too big to chance getting excited.

Anyway... glad you didnt get hurt and by the way 35mph is way too fast on a corner anway.... Take it easy... specially round them pesky farms.

NET

NET

IronFist
09-09-2007, 01:13 AM
I have had to stop, and actually catch my breath. Wasn't a combine just a mini-van but very simular when u hit it. After, I pulled up on the side walk and shut off the bike and had a smoke. 70 km/h. street and lotsa traffic, pedestrians walking around me. :?