PDA

View Full Version : Cf moto water leak

853am
04-11-2016, 07:29 PM
I seem to have a coolant leak coming out of the hole on the bottom of the right side crankcase under the water pump impeller. The hole is some sort of vent. I changed the water pump internals but it still leaks. I couldnt find anything about using sealants in the shop manuals.
Does anyone know of a procedure for the water pump shaft install?

Thx.

853am
04-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Its a 2005 /250cc honda clone

wheelbender6
04-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Which CF moto? V3? Helix clone?

Weldangrind
04-12-2016, 01:00 AM
Without seeing it, I'd guess that's a weep hole. It's likely designed to show you when the water pump seal fails.

Engineern6719
04-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Without seeing it, I'd guess that's a weep hole. It's likely designed to show you when the water pump seal fails.

I agree.Maybe wear on the drive shaft or a damaged seal during reassembling the pump.The pressure in the coolant system when heated would be high and wouldn't take much to have a small leak.Would it be possible to remove the pump and carry out a leak check by applying compressed air on the pump inlet and blocking the outlet and putting the pump in water to see any leaks.

853am
04-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Yes, it's a CF Moto, & it is the weep hole. All the internals a brand new, that's why this is puzzling. Also, it leaks when cold (as soon as I fill the coolant.)
I'll try the compressed air to see if it shows any weakness.
Is the any need for sealant? (i added some between the housing and the main large seal and it did get better, just not completely fixed.)

Thanks

853am
04-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Just to clarify: when I took it apart originally, I noticed a lot of crystallized coolant, so I figured new internals /seals. Upon removal, the old seals were stuck to the housing and tore when I tried to get them out.
After I changed the internals (shaft, seals, impeller) I tried to add coolant, and it ran out (the weep hole) as fast as I poured it in.
I double checked assembly (w/CF Moto & Honda Helix manuals) and reassembled w/some sealant between the outside on the main seal and the housing.
It's much better, but still does leak (slow drip.) That's why I thought maybe there needs to be more sealant, or if there is a more detailed installation (than in the manuals.)
Was thinking of just plugging it up.
Thoughts?
I'll probably be opening it up next week if I can't solve this otherwise.

853am
04-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Found the problem!! There was a compromise between two of the seals (main pressed seal and the one that fits into the impeller.) new parts rectified the problem.
Thanks for the help!

Lkhangee
03-10-2017, 02:20 AM
I agree.Maybe wear on the drive shaft or a damaged seal during reassembling the pump.The pressure in the coolant system when heated would be high and wouldn't take much to have a small leak.Would it be possible to remove the pump and carry out a leak check by applying compressed air on the pump inlet and blocking the outlet and putting the pump in water to see any leaks.

Hii have a Chinese replica cg200 water cooled. Engine model 163ML.
I am troubleshooting oil mixing with water head gasket was blow slightly I resurfaced the faces using 220,300,400,800 grit papers. Now I need to see if the oil pump assembly is leaking.

Can this test be done on that pump too? I think it will always fail as water molecules are bigger then air and that seals won't stay air pressure. But I don't know.