PDA

View Full Version : Which bike???

RixMad
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I've been researching Chinese enduros for a while, trying to decide which to buy. I'm 6 feet +, 275 lb and yes, I know I outweigh a majority of the bikes, but I'm still curious. I had a chance to ride a new Diamo 200 and was unpleasantly surprised how painfully SLOW it was! I've ridden a veritable plethora of different bikes over the last 40 years, and know it should've hauled my (considerable ) bulk around with a bit more authority than it did! Are they all painfully slow compared to a similar Japanese bike? I can't see many people getting excited with them if they are. Please let me know of your similar experiences. Also, I gather some are Honda 200 clones and some are Kawasaki 200 clones. Which are which and what to stay away from? I see some have a "rotary" shift pattern which can allow you to go (accidentally) from 5th directly to 1st?? The more questions I have answered, the more questions arise. I see a possibility of "hopping up" a 200 as being a fun project in the future, but want passable performance during the process. I have an 8 mile commute thru city traffic with some 55 mph road thrown in, and don't want to be some Mack truck's road pizza! Thanks for any help you can offer, and I'll be in touch.

culcune
09-20-2007, 03:33 PM
If you think that bike is slow, then you probably won't like the answer I am going to give you (assuming you are attracted to these due to the price of them)...you need a bigger bike-engined bike such as Kawasaki KLX-250 (the few Chinese 250's out there aren't much more powerful than their 200 brethren). I don't think that the Suzuki DR-200 or Yamaha TW200 will do the trick for you, either.

There are no Kawasaki-like bikes that I can think of, but there are Yamaha-like engined and Suzuki-like engined bikes, to complement the Honda-like engined bikes. Most are Honda, but a few are like the Suzuki, and a few are like the Yamaha.

AZ200cc
09-20-2007, 04:05 PM
All of these bikes will be slow until You mod them.

pumpkin
09-20-2007, 04:44 PM
my lifan will easily cruise around 55-60 mph with my 240lbs. and my daugters 80lbs. but living in WV i can't do that up steep hills unless i get a run for them. top speed by myself is around 70mph give or take. i hope this helps.

MOTOXtreme
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
I truly can't speak for myself (I'm 155lbs soaking wet), but I have customers that are 260+ pounds that love the bike. Maybe the bike was just not running correctly?

If you can't find another GY to ride a "big 4" 200cc class bike and see what you think about that. Just an idea.

You may be spoiled by larger cc bikes from the past. It's easy to do, we all want more power.

RixMad
09-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm riding a 1985 Suzuki 1200 Madura right now. I wanted to find a smaller bike with great fuel economy which would eventually pay for itself. Given the number of used Chinese 200's for 5 to 8 hundred bucks in this area, that shouldn't be a problem. I've just gotta' know the best one to start with. Lifan = Honda xr200, no? Which bikes are rebadged Lifans? I've seen Rocketa, Diamo, Daystar, Viva, etc. etc. I'm hearing the best words directed towards Lifan, so far. Also, concerning a bigger bike hauling me around better, I rode a UM 250 v twin cruiser back to back with the Diamo. It would leave it for dead in a heartbeat! I likened the Diamo's acceleration to a Kawasaki KE 100 or a Honda XR 100. A 2 stroke Yamaha DT 125 would've handed it it's arse on a platter! See what I mean? More answers, more questions. The Diamo seemed to need a lot bigger carb and filter and a freed-up exhaust. Gearing wasn't an issue. It just felt like it had a throttle stop installed. I really want to like these bikes. Again, thanks for the help.

katoranger
09-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I think alittle more power can be had by uncorking them and getting the gearing right. It seems that the lifan and roketas are doing well.

I have left my airbox and exhaust stock for now. It can haul me fine.

Allen

rosrok
10-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I bought a Roketa RSM-200E in August. I have about 350 miles on it now. I am 200 pounds. On the tar I have been up to 65. I have given my children rides. The ones who have ridden range from 40 to 120 pounds. I have not been on the tar with them. But, on gravel roads, I have had a hard time getting over 55 with even some of the lighter kids. I have made no mods at all. I have not even adjusted the carburetor as of yet. I was planning on regearing. But, now that it is starting to get broke in and I am starting to try higher speeds, and getting 65 out of it: I am thinking that I will leave it alone. I plan on doing a lot of trail riding, so the lower gearing will be better. Don't know that I really answered any questions, but that is my experience so far.

principal
10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
6'1", 280 lbs (I know I know), and love the bike. Yes, it isn't going to win any land speed records, but it sure is fun boppin around town and on trails. I have had my 80 lb son on the back, going up steep hills in 3rd/4th gear, and while it isn't accelerating, it isn't decelerating, either. Top speed so far 50+. I am thinking about a better sprocket combo when the chain needs replacing, but for now, I'm good with it. I have been hearing that the kind of oil you use can make a big difference, but I'm sceptical. I am sure you could mod the thing out and turn it into a screaming beast, but if you were going to do that, wouldn't you just buy a KLR650 or Yamaha FZ1 and be done with it? I like the retro feel of these little bikes, and the price cannot be beat.