PDA

View Full Version : Who has a 250 dirt bike

tokarev
09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Been watching these bikes to see what people who bought have to say about them. Performance, quality and relaibility. I not looking for a racer just a trail rider. Also are the engines a direct copy of a Honda - reason is parts for mods. Bought my son a pocket bike and some aspects of it construction/quality are weak.

oncedead
09-23-2007, 12:27 AM
IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/scitber/08-14-07_1334.jpg[/IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/scitber/08-14-07_1334.jpg (http://photobucket.com) something like this ? works good for me . I just go over after every beating it takes and tighten the loose bolts.

tokarev
09-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Is your bike stock? Compared to a Yamaha or Honda how does the overall fit and finish compare? Seems the screws and bolts they use are of a lower quality. One last question - does the front plastic faring do anything or is it just for looks.

katoranger
09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Overall fit and finish of most china bikes is not at the same level of Jap bikes. They seem to be improving, but it will take a few years.

You are correct in saying that the fasteners are of lower quality in general.

For the money spent though you tend to get alot of bike and for trail riding I don't think you will be dissapointed in a 250 china.

Allen

oncedead
09-24-2007, 05:15 PM
The last honda i rode was a 1979 cr 250 . This bike seems a little smaller length wise but still fits me good , 6ft1 220 lbs . Rear shock blows looking for a new one but the engine runs great so far. I Changed the oil 3 times and put about 500 hard miles on it. havent had any problems taking 80 degree hills in 2nd gear. Mine is still stock , just took the stickers off , the spark arrestor out , and applied lock tight everywhere. As for the farring , what do they do anyways ? I guess its purpose is to direct more air to the engine to cool it. It has some cheesy fins in it that might do something.http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n122/scitber/09-24-07_1519.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

tokarev
09-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Which brand did you buy? I like the black color. Does yours have 21"/19" rims?

oncedead
09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
yea its got the big wheels. It had green stickers on it when i got it that said like motox or something. But my P.r friend got it for me so im not sure of the actual brand. Im sure someone on here knows were you can get the same bike tho for about 1500 bucks . I've seen it around

culcune
09-25-2007, 11:47 PM
tokarev, you should consider the Hummer bike. There is a group dedicated to them on Yahoo! Groups called the 200chinabike group. Roketa has a version of it as well as Venommotors, and I think Sunl, but I would stay away from the Sunl version due to parts being hard to come by.

culcune
09-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Sorry, but I guess the 200chinabike group no longer exists!?

tokarev
09-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Yea kinda discovered that too - Which ever one I chose it needs the 18-21 inch wheels - For more ground clearance and seat height.

oncedead
09-26-2007, 12:42 AM
I agree bigger is better . with wheels that is haha or engines, but not girls . That was only one time when i was like 21 and drank a bottle of quervo . But i was looking at some pics on here and noticed my engine is the same as the lifan engines. Is that a zongschen or w/e ??

katoranger
09-26-2007, 04:55 PM
You said that you remove the spark arrester. Just wondering if the outside of the muffler is stamped USFS approved?

Would be one of the first china bikes to be have it.

Allen

tokarev
09-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Spoke with LG Wholesale on friday about the 250 they sell - has the 21/18 inch wheels.
Almost ordered then - have to wait untill I have more time to ride - end of October. Anyone have any dealings with LG Wholesale in IL?
http://www.globaltrailer.net/EasyEditor/assets/sirennew1.jpg

tokarev
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
listed today emailed the seller - $975.00 is the price he says its new - 16/19 inch wheels.

oncedead
09-30-2007, 10:36 PM
The bike in your pic has 21/19 inch wheels . Same bike i have just a different color. I wouldnt go with the smaller tires . They got a smaller swing arm also , which isnt good

Ace12GA
10-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I have a Hummer 250, 21/19. Seat height is about 38". I'm 6'6" and 280lbs, and its holding up to me so far. I got it in July, and have put about 16 hours on it so far. Changed the oil a few times already. Runs pretty good. Still need to adjust the carb needle for the idle and starting, but otherwise its great. Hauls ass pretty good through the trails. Fit and finish is ok, never going to mistaken for a Honda, but not bad. I've loctighted several bolts, tightened a couple of others. Going to strip apart the whole rear end in the next couple of weeks, because there is no lube on the swing arm bolt or the pins for the rear shock.

Shocks are crap, but with some adjustment they do their job. The front forks make a terrible noise going from compressed to air born, a real bang sound. I have taken some small jumps without any damage, and have certainly nailed a couple of good pot holes and rocks on the trail. No damage yet. I have no dumped it, and I don't want to. My kid brother (hes 14, I'm 30) got a little Giovanni 125 pit bike, which I figured would smoke me in the trails, due to its smaller size, and lighter weight. He can't keep up to me, and I routinely have to wait for him at cross roads in the trails. Hes not a slow rider, but he just can't keep up. His little 125 goes pretty good too, tops out around 65km/h, and in the open I can zip past him, even giving him a head start, but I really thought he would leave me sucking exhaust on the tight trails, and he doesn't. My little 250 takes the trails really nice.

Problems, are few. The shocks as said. The rear sprocket came loose within an hour of riding it, regardless of the locking plates. The suspension sounds a little rough at times, but the whole rear end needs to be lubed bad; I have been squeaking through the summer season with wd40 all over the linkages at the end of each ride. Smooths it out nicely, but not a good solution. The transmission seems to not like going from 1st to 2nd all of the time; sometimes from 2nd to 3rd it shifts into nothing, like its between gears. Happens maybe once a ride, if that. I figure its a break in thing, and that it will smooth out with use.

Sorry for the disjointed post, its my ramblings as they came to me.

tokarev
10-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the review of your bike - Kinda what I expected to hear. Who did you by your bike from?

Ace12GA
10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I got it from a local fellow, and paid far too much for it, don't ask, it was too much. I wish I had looked into these in more detail before I jumped on it. I wasn't too concerned about Chinese quality, because I own several Chinese machine tools, lathe, mill, drill presses. I have been quite happy with my Chinese made machine tools.

Anyway I picked it up from a fellow who had ridden it for an hour from new. He had changed the oil after that hour and parked it. He was about 5'6", and the seat height was killing him. I have no idea how he managed to ride it. He purchased it from a small shop in Toronto, where he also paid too much for it. I have since been in touch with the same shop looking for a second one, but they want far too much. I would probably get a second one off of ebay. I got my kid brothers pit bike from a fellow on ebay, and that went very smooth, and I paid half what the stores are asking. I would certainly do that again.

tokarev
10-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I also have a Chi-com mill drill and 13x40 lathe - both work fine - I use them for making adjustments to parts I have made for me. They work good in that role. The quality/bondo filler on the chinese machine tools can vary greatly from one factory to the next. Having purchased a pit bike for my son last X-mas and seeing some of the finish/quality stuff I wanted to get feed back on the larger bikes.
This is what I make www.safetyharborfirearms.com

winnipegmike
10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
I have a 250cc hummer dirtbike. It has been great so far. I only use it for trail riding in NW ontario, but I have beat the heck out of it with no consequences. The bad things about the bike are:
1) no rim locks
2) no chain tensioner (there is a chain roller)
3) VERY cheap chain
4) bike is a little short for it's size
5) is hard to start on a cold day, but I haven't done the carb adjustment

The good things are:
1) PRICE (about $1000 cdn delivered)
2) runs great and is quite fast, climbs very steep hills easily, often without downshifting
3) suspension seems really good so far
4) better tires (off road) than the other chinese bikes i've seen
5) tall seat and comfortable riding position
6) I like the chrome exhaust
7) Plastic is flexible and doesn't break easily

I highly recommend the Hummer for anyone looking for a good, reliable (so far) dirtbike.

See gallery for pictures: http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6890

Olephart
10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Could Oncedead's bike and the other bike pictured above be a Viva VX250PR (also mentioned on another thread)???

http://site.atvswholesale.com/images/products/VX/VX250PR/big/17.jpg

and here

http://www.viva-motors.com/dirt-bike-250cc-perimeter-aluminium-frame.html

Just wondering because I also like the looks of Oncedead's bike. :D

Where the heck can you use such a bike around Lemoyne? :?

BigCountry
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-VX250PR-250cc-FULL-SIZE-Racing-Dirt-Bike-Motorcycle-EPA-CARB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6719QQihZ015QQitem Z250179894428

check this site out. I bought the blue one about 4 months ago and love it. I just now snapped the throttle cable. but other than that its been all good.

Olephart
10-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Yep, that looks like the ticket Big Country. I like the looks and it seems very similar to the bike in Oncedead's post. I think you got a good deal on a pretty cool bike.

I'm looking for something cheap to use for trail riding with my 14 y/o son and am still debating what to get him. I think a 250 might be too much for him although he's 5'10", 140#. I'm thinking that a 125 - 200cc bike (like ChiGongJitsu's) might be better. I've checked used Yam TTR 125L and for that price I could get a new China bike it seems. That 250 would sure work for me and is probably more than I need. I don't mind some mechanical hassles and the challenge of keeping the beast running is appealing.

I noticed that you're in the Army and near El Paso (Ft Bliss?). I'm an army retiree but not so lucky. My biggest problem now is just finding some place to ride trails around here. I live near Gettysburg, PA, not far from Oncedead and from what I've learned so far, we can't just hit the trails in the surrounding state parks.

Again, very cool bike and I'm reading your posts with interest.

oncedead
10-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Yea, they are all the same bikes, just have a few different names. They also sell them with smaller tires for a cheaper price , but i think thats just to small for a 6ft'rr. Still havent had any problems with the bike except for the battery getting weak , just needs charged. Olephart i heard of places in dillsburg to ride but cant find them, know of anyplace ?