PDA

View Full Version : tt250 exashst bolt on?

Jayman77
06-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Anyone do any exshaust mods if so can I get a link looking for better sound and a maybe a hp boost

simonjester
06-24-2016, 07:10 PM
I wonder if the performance exhausts folks have been putting on their Hawks and posting about on here will work?

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16650

Jayman77
06-25-2016, 02:44 AM
I wonder if the performance exhausts folks have been putting on their Hawks and posting about on here will work?

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16650

That is what I was wondering I would think they would I have found some for Hondas but have never changed one before I live In South Carolina so no carb stuff to worry about I can remove cat if that works

Weldangrind
06-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Anyone do any exashst mods...

That's how I pronounce "exhaust" when I've been drinking. :hehe:

Yes, I'd start with removing the cat. If I had a cat to remove, I'd window the cat housing with a Dremel, rather than chopping the header in half. It'll be easier to weld back together.

w0ss
06-25-2016, 01:34 PM
Just remember it's not even bolt on for the hawk. The flange holes need to be widened.

Jayman77
06-25-2016, 03:05 PM
That's how I pronounce "exhaust" when I've been drinking. :hehe:

Yes, I'd start with removing the cat. If I had a cat to remove, I'd window the cat housing with a Dremel, rather than chopping the header in half. It'll be easier to weld back together.

LOL this is what happens with auto correct it just don't work :lmao:
but seriously any mods for muffler :shrug:

Wolftrax
06-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Also you will melt the air box due to the close fit. I have a pod filter on so I couldn't care less.

jaymalmat
06-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Also you will melt the air box due to the close fit. I have a pod filter on so I couldn't care less.

yeah mine was resting right against the airbox. I also have a Pod filter but didnt want to melt the airbox so I took a screw out of the airbox on that side and sent a drill bit through it for a zip tie and strapped it to the frame while I held the box up a lil bit. Gave about 1/2 inch clearance.

2LZ
06-27-2016, 05:16 PM
For those of us who have welding talents "good enough to be dangerous", does anyone have a link to a catless header pipe for these?
I'd like to keep the stock muffler (for now) and just dump the cat.

BlackBike
06-27-2016, 06:36 PM
For those of us who have welding talents "good enough to be dangerous", does anyone have a link to a catless header pipe for these?

Don't they put sniffers up your tailpipes in california. (On motorcycles?)

Or just certain countries like Texas (harris,Houston tx). Will you be tested to be inspected?

hertz9753
06-27-2016, 06:46 PM

It's like the FMF Powerbomb but those cost more than the whole Chinese exhaust.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6492/i/fmf-powerbomb-stainless-steel-header

simonjester
06-27-2016, 06:51 PM
It's like the FMF Powerbomb but those cost more than the whole Chinese exhaust.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6492/i/fmf-powerbomb-stainless-steel-header

So what year and model? I'm guessing a Honda 230, but which one and what year?

simonjester
06-27-2016, 08:48 PM
So I'm new to this, but would the header pipe on this page work?

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e088f870021c54be0856/muffler

It's #5 on the list.

BlackBike
06-27-2016, 09:10 PM
So I'm new to this, but would the header pipe on this page work?

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e088f870021c54be0856/muffler

It's #5 on the list.

I bet it would, not saying you pull trigger. You need to get your tt first :yay: looks like the pipe on mine too. Seems like it was sold somewhere for $15 however. That looks like a nice site . Bet you could find one cheaper.

ughmas
06-27-2016, 11:26 PM
see motocheez's video, some slight modding needed but this is the one I already have and plan to install soon once I get my bigger main jets. It's about the closest to "bolt on" I've found in all my scouring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-7nWHl03Qo

'16 TT250
06-28-2016, 02:19 AM
Don't they put sniffers up your tailpipes in california. (On motorcycles?)

Or just certain countries like Texas (harris,Houston tx). Will you be tested to be inspected?

Oddly enough Ca. does't do smog tests on motorcycles while some of the 'less restrictive' states do. I don't know what the limits in Tx are, but in Az where they also test the limits are high enough that a cat-deleted bike should pass if it's tuned and running correctly.

simonjester
06-28-2016, 09:42 AM
see motocheez's video, some slight modding needed but this is the one I already have and plan to install soon once I get my bigger main jets. It's about the closest to "bolt on" I've found in all my scouring

Unfortunately he doesn't tell what exactly he's using or where he got it from. :cry:

2LZ
06-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Nope, they don't sniff bikes here....yet. I'm sure the day will come but they leave it up to the manu's to be able to pass their bikes through CARB before they can even sell them here. They nip the problem in the bud at a higher level. Fortunately, that does leave the aftermarket for tinkering. For "off road use only"...of course. (wink, wink, nod, nod.)

Well, I posted a part of this in another thread but it seems the TT250 has a welded up bazooka. Must be a '50 state' thing. I thought the Hawk had a removable baffle(?) but the TT doesn't. Looks like a whole new pipe is in order. So much for cutting out the cat and reformatting the baffle.

kohburn
06-28-2016, 10:44 AM
might have to take the old plasma cutter to that to peak inside. makes it easy to weld back up later.

ughmas
06-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Unfortunately he doesn't tell what exactly he's using or where he got it from. :cry:

It's the same one from the thread you linked earlier, the crf230f exhaust from ebay

This seller has multiple colors, I got the fastest black one ;)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Silencers-Mufflers-Baffles/178000/m.html?item=221555825077&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_ssn=rch-2012&rmvSB=true

simonjester
06-28-2016, 12:47 PM
It's the same one from the thread you linked earlier, the crf230f exhaust from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Silencers-Mufflers-Baffles/178000/m.html?item=221555825077&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_ssn=rch-2012&rmvSB=true

Oh, okay, cool. I must have missed that in the video. Thanks!!

2LZ
06-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Wow! I really like the black also but at 9999.00, I may have to choose another color! ;-)

ughmas
06-28-2016, 01:44 PM
Wow! I really like the black also but at 9999.00, I may have to choose another color! ;-)

hahaha wow I just noticed that... it must've been on sale when I got it. Or we bought them all :lmao:

2LZ
06-28-2016, 02:23 PM
hahaha wow I just noticed that... it must've been on sale when I got it. Or we bought them all :lmao:

I wonder if the top one for 10.00 more really comes with a spark arrestor??? I'd definitely need that here. That's why I was really hoping just to play with the baffle on the stock exhaust but no........

ughmas
06-28-2016, 03:30 PM
I wonder if the top one for 10.00 more really comes with a spark arrestor??? I'd definitely need that here. That's why I was really hoping just to play with the baffle on the stock exhaust but no........

the ones that say they have a spark arrestor do have a screen in the end of the pipe. Not sure how functional it is but it's there. I can take a picture of it if you need me to.

2LZ
06-28-2016, 03:36 PM
the ones that say they have a spark arrestor do have a screen in the end of the pipe. Not sure how functional it is but it's there. I can take a picture of it if you need me to.

That would be great! Thanks!
My Husky has a "hang on the end" spark arrestor and all it is, is a screened can. All it has to do is stop the rangers coat hanger to pass. I'm liking the looks of this!

ughmas
06-28-2016, 04:04 PM
found it in one of the other hawk exhaust threads

http://chinariders.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6187&stc=1&d=1464929398

Jayman77
06-28-2016, 04:27 PM

This will bolt on (after drilling out flang) the tt for better sound and maybe 1 or 2 extra horse power

And I am at sea level or less than 100 foot so will I need to jet carb

2LZ
06-28-2016, 04:42 PM
This will bolt on (after drilling out flang) the tt for better sound and maybe 1 or 2 extra horse power

And I am at sea level or less than 100 foot so will I need to jet carb

I'm thinking it will wake it up considerably. Like I've posted on Q, just a pipe and proper jetting gave it a dyno-proven 5 extra HP (15 to 20). Q is an OHC though. That may make a difference. I know when I piped and jetted my X-Moto, it made a noticeable difference, especially in crispness and throttle response.

Jayman77
06-29-2016, 06:26 PM

Why are these better than the stock I am new to mods please explan how these mufflers are better

SeerAtlas
06-29-2016, 06:41 PM
uh....uh.....ug.....LOUDER:)

hertz9753
06-29-2016, 08:03 PM
According to Motocheez it makes the bike go brap. brap. The red one is the fastest you can tell just by looking at my picture of the spark arrestor screen.

The header doesn't have a cat and the muffler is also less restrictive. It's like the Pearl Jam - Even Flow song.

2LZ
06-30-2016, 10:36 AM
For those of us looking to upgrade our TT250 exhaust, let's discuss this little device for a second.

What many call an EGR, I believe is actually an air pump valve. Instead of taking unburnt gasses back through the air cleaner from the exhaust port like an EGR (which would make no sense to toss frying hot gasses on a rubber hose), I believe (at least here in CA), it actually opens and lets fresh, filtered air (O2) IN to the exhaust port and tosses that fresh oxygen on your cat to super heat it under heavy loads. Picture a blow dryer on a charcoal briquette. This little device, to the best of my knowledge, does nothing to hamper power. It's strictly there to help the cat burn excess HC's and CO under heavy throttle, up hills and under load.

That said....when you change your exhaust to a more free breathing unit, without a cat in the way....that little device will be tossing that extra fresh oxygen under load on to your brand new muffler packing, super heating it and shortening it's lifespan.

If you are looking to upgrade your exhaust and delete the cat, I would suggest to either remove the entire assembly and plate off the port at the head....or what we do here in CA. Put a BB in the small vac line to stop the diaphragm from opening....plus stick a large object inside the larger rubber hose that comes from the head. That way, it's no long functioning...but it LOOKS like it's there.

BlackBike
06-30-2016, 11:09 AM
2LZ, thanks for showing this new "mystery lump". Makes good sense.

Jayman77
06-30-2016, 03:27 PM
2LZ, thanks for showing this new "mystery lump". Makes good sense.

I am still scared to buy a muffler much less a mystery lump:lmao:

Jayman77
07-01-2016, 07:59 AM
For those of us looking to upgrade our TT250 exhaust, let's discuss this little device for a second.

What many call an EGR, I believe is actually an air pump valve. Instead of taking unburnt gasses back through the air cleaner from the exhaust port like an EGR (which would make no sense to toss frying hot gasses on a rubber hose), I believe (at least here in CA), it actually opens and lets fresh, filtered air (O2) IN to the exhaust port and tosses that fresh oxygen on your cat to super heat it under heavy loads. Picture a blow dryer on a charcoal briquette. This little device, to the best of my knowledge, does nothing to hamper power. It's strictly there to help the cat burn excess HC's and CO under heavy throttle, up hills and under load.

That said....when you change your exhaust to a more free breathing unit, without a cat in the way....that little device will be tossing that extra fresh oxygen under load on to your brand new muffler packing, super heating it and shortening it's lifespan.

If you are looking to upgrade your exhaust and delete the cat, I would suggest to either remove the entire assembly and plate off the port at the head....or what we do here in CA. Put a BB in the small vac line to stop the diaphragm from opening....plus stick a large object inside the larger rubber hose that comes from the head. That way, it's no long functioning...but it LOOKS like it's there.
Have you put it on your bike

2LZ
07-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Have you put it on your bike

An after market exhaust? I've put them on all of my bikes, with the exception of the TT because it just arrived. I don't plan on doing any mods until it's broke in.

On Q, I blocked the air pump off as I explained above so I didn't burn up my new muffler packing. Q is the only one that had the little pump on it. My X-Moto and my quad don't have the pumps because they're off-road only.

SeerAtlas
07-01-2016, 03:22 PM
check out motocheeze's exhaust video on youtube. I take back what I said about not likely to increase power, as his bike is setup for highway type speeds and he pulls wheelies easily in second gear in that video!!!, da cheez is NOT a flyweight kinda guy, So, you can believe he's found some real, demonstrable power there:)!

2LZ
07-01-2016, 04:11 PM
check out motocheeze's exhaust video on youtube. I take back what I said about not likely to increase power, as his bike is setup for highway type speeds and he pulls wheelies easily in second gear in that video!!!, da cheez is NOT a flyweight kinda guy, So, you can believe he's found some real, demonstrable power there:)!

Indeed! These things can get going well with just a few mods. My Q 200cc scoots right along. An added extra 5 hp, dyno proven! That's quite a percentage of a jump when you consider it came with 15 hp.

Jayman77
07-03-2016, 05:39 PM

Placed my order today aluminum will keep you guys posted it will be well worth it for even 2 more hp do you guys have any suggestions on air breather modds

2LZ
07-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Placed my order today aluminum will keep you guys posted it will be well worth it for even 2 more hp do you guys have any suggestions on air breather modds

Looking forward to your report! I did some low speed trail riding today on the neighbors property and the TT did magnificent....but it really needs some help on the more demanding higher speed stuff. You can tell the cat and exhaust has it completely choked up.

BlackBike
07-04-2016, 01:15 AM

What is that bulge for on the head pipe?

Azhule
07-04-2016, 08:32 AM
What is that bulge for on the head pipe?

They are probably just 'designed' it to 'look or perform' like the FMF PowerBomb Header... the 'bulge' is the supposed to 'increase HP/Torque while lowering sound/DB levels'...

"The redesigned PowerBomb is a four-stroke header that incorporates FMF’s patented PowerBomb module at a precise location in the initial stage of the header. By positioning this “Bomb” at a key point in the system, increased performance and flow is achieved through the expansion and contraction of exhaust sonics through the system. Result is a flow increase of nearly 10%! The outer chamber in the Powerbomb allows the air to expand, cool and ramp back up at a higher velocity. Additionally, the PowerBomb is a “pre-muffler” of sorts which helps to lower the bikes sound output by providing more sound absorbing surface area for the sound medium (exhaust gases). On some models, you can choose between a moto or supercross version. The supercross version is designed for more low to mid-range power where the moto version is focused in the mid to upper RPM range."

dpl096
07-04-2016, 09:25 AM
They are probably just 'designed' it to 'look or perform' like the FMF PowerBomb Header... the 'bulge' is the supposed to 'increase HP/Torque while lowering sound/DB levels'...

"The redesigned PowerBomb is a four-stroke header that incorporates FMF’s patented PowerBomb module at a precise location in the initial stage of the header. By positioning this “Bomb” at a key point in the system, increased performance and flow is achieved through the expansion and contraction of exhaust sonics through the system. Result is a flow increase of nearly 10%! The outer chamber in the Powerbomb allows the air to expand, cool and ramp back up at a higher velocity. Additionally, the PowerBomb is a “pre-muffler” of sorts which helps to lower the bikes sound output by providing more sound absorbing surface area for the sound medium (exhaust gases). On some models, you can choose between a moto or supercross version. The supercross version is designed for more low to mid-range power where the moto version is focused in the mid to upper RPM range."

makes sense .... We all know the results of straight pipes. Really cool until that skull splitting headache kicks in from listening to that nonsense for a few hours.

Wolftrax
07-04-2016, 11:38 AM
makes sense .... We all know the results of straight pipes. Really cool until that skull splitting headache kicks in from listening to that nonsense for a few hours.
__________________________________________________ _______________

PNWDualRider
07-04-2016, 11:25 PM

Nice! I'm looking at one of these also! Please keep me/us posted on how the fitment is. I bet the new exhaust will really open up the power for the bike. I have about 90 miles on mine and it seems like it is getting broke in nicely. I have had MANY people ask me about my bike and what it is, it is quite the head turner! I'm just ready to ditch the muffler that's choking our bikes.

Jayman77
07-05-2016, 04:59 PM
OK now we are slammed at work and it is over 100° so it might be a couple days but if this gives me 2 hp it will be so worth it I hope it gives 3 I want to get close to 20 hp range if this gets me close I will start looking at a better carb

PNWDualRider
07-06-2016, 01:07 AM
OK now we are slammed at work and it is over 100° so it might be a couple days but if this gives me 2 hp it will be so worth it I hope it gives 3 I want to get close to 20 hp range if this gets me close I will start looking at a better carb

Yes!!! Video tutorial of the install maybe?

Jayman77
07-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Drill out flang holes are right size just don't match up right

Heat wrap might as well (black)

Maybe a small bent or two

Thought about removing the guard mounts from stock pipe but I like the way it looks naked:tup:

It is also about a 6 pound weight loss

simonjester
07-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the pics!! Is the pipe far enough away from the air box? It looks like the bracket on the muffler doesn't quite match up. It almost looks like it would if the pipe was a tiny bit shorter. Could you cut the pipe to get it to line up?

Jayman77
07-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the pics!! Is the pipe far enough away from the air box? It looks like the bracket on the muffler doesn't quite match up. It almost looks like it would if the pipe was a tiny bit shorter. Could you cut the pipe to get it to line up?

All I have done is stick it up there I have not tried to bolt down it is really close dont think there will be a lot of problems

BlackBike
07-08-2016, 08:23 PM
All I have done is stick it up there I have not tried to bolt down it is really close dont think there will be a lot of problems

yep, that chrome looks great (as does the color).

that's quite the airbox.

BlackBike
07-08-2016, 08:38 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QNIAAOSwbwlXBRwT/s-l500.jpg

Jayman77...for $123. yours is bigger than mine >:(. Stock Bashan opening is literally the size of a dime. This ought to flow some CFM's. This is looking better and better, damn you sir...

I saw where 2lz picked one up too. If that guy approves it, it's the real deal.

hertz9753
07-08-2016, 08:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-7nWHl03Qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXdzPYizO6k

You can have Cheez with a crow bar or Andrew with a bracket.

Jayman77
07-09-2016, 04:38 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QNIAAOSwbwlXBRwT/s-l500.jpg

Jayman77...for $123. yours is bigger than mine >:(. Stock Bashan opening is literally the size of a dime. This ought to flow some CFM's. This is looking better and better, damn you sir...

I saw where 2lz picked one up too. If that guy approves it, it's the real deal.

I know I am ting to get it done I am just slammed everyday at work but I am off Sunday sucks that my wrap has not arived yet I might go out and try to just buy some and send it back if it don't show up today

Atlest 4x air flow and about 6 pounds less weight in about a hour or to of tinkering :yay:

2LZ
07-09-2016, 10:11 AM
That looks great! Oh man....now I can't wait for the exhaust to arrive. Jayman, let us know how you clear the airbox or if it's a problem.
I took Mrs 2LZ TT out for about 40 more break-in miles yesterday. This thing is choked up with that cat inline. My neighbor was on Q, we ran them together flat out for a about 100 yards and Q pulled away consistently. I need to fix this......

'16 TT250
07-09-2016, 01:23 PM

It's the pulse air injection valve and has no relation to EGR nor does it in any way do what EGR does. It's not there for the cat either, but it can take some of the load off the cat and make it more efficient. Pretty sure it does nothing at heavy throttle and I've never heard of it overheating an exhaust system. It's called secondary air injection and it's there to introduce air into the exhaust to burn off any hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel) that made it past combustion in the cylinder. Most cars/trucks accomplish this with a pump, the smog pump, but on bikes it's done with pulse air injection, some cars also use pulse air instead of a pump. After the exhaust stroke there's a small pulse of vacuum created in the exhaust and this vacuum sucks a little bit of air through the pulse air valve. With an aftermarket exhaust some bikes will crackle or rumble on deceleration, blocking the valve supposedly cures that. I haven't had the problem with any of my bikes so I haven't messed with any PAI valves. The system doesn't hamper performance at all other than maybe a bit of turbulence in the exhaust port due to the hole, but disabling the system won't change that unless the hole is welded and blended to eliminate it's existence. Some people think that allowing air to enter reduces the vacuum in the exhaust reducing the positive effects of valve overlap where a vacuum helps the incoming charge fill the cylinder. The theory has validity until one considers that the time it takes for the pulse air to happen will likely be after the exhaust valve has closed. As far as I know the pulse air doesn't function at heavy throttle anyway, it has a vacuum hose and I'm pretty sure that's there to control when the valve should let air in, at times of high vacuum/low load. I watched a dyno run of a Hyabusa with and without the PAI and it didn't change anything. I believe on that bike the computer controls the valve and it's been said that it shuts off under load. A shot of chain lube did add almost 5HP taking it to 197HP at the wheel, don't ignore your chains people.

EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) allows exhaust to enter the intake during cruise operation to reduce the effective compression of the engine lowering cylinder temp. to lower NOX emissions. It shuts off under heavy load so it's not a power robber, but some people think that any emissions device robs power.

Cats also don't rob power if they're not restrictive, but everyone automatically assumes they are restrictive. BTW, I haven't noticed it mentioned but the cat on the TT isn't in the head pipe like the Hawk, it's in the muffler and visible through the outlet. It looks like the outlet could be cut open pretty easily to gain access to the innards of the muffler. Since it has the beauty cap the welding afterwards wouldn't have to be pretty. I suspect that just eliminating the puny outlet and enlarging it to the size of the hole in the cap would add a nice deeper sound and reduce restriction without doing anything else. One could enlarge the hole in the cap pretty easily if wanted to go even further. Efficient and quiet mufflers on a single are challenging. I've made a few mufflers/exhaust systems and the generator on my MH has been the most challenging one so far, but I finally nailed it. Using different lengths of rectangular tubing for the outlet did the trick, my theory at the time was to break up the frequencies and having differing size pipes apparently did it. I used rectangular instead of round to also break up the port noise frequencies, if I'd had two different diameter or shaped tubes Ida used them. That almost 40 year old clunker is quieter than my friends' much newer ones in their fancy rigs.

Jayman77
07-09-2016, 08:15 PM
OK I put it on

Sort of

I have it run all the way to the back and have looked at multiple ways to mount it but I wanted to test it out before I did any real modification to bike os I hooked it in and ran a stainless steel zip tie through two different fastners

It has a lot more get up and go a LOT more and it sounds good

It ran hot very hot not the bike but the muffler itself

It melted a small part of my lisence plate mount just with blow out is this normal

It also made some of the heat wrap I put on it smoke some

have never used heat wrap before and was worried so I removed it

I don't think a hot exshaust would make the engine run hotter but I will be ordering a new lisence plate mount and finding a more permanent mounting position for the exshaust to blow out just a nother learning experience for me

But you won't belive how it opened up the power it is a very different bike

Jayman77
07-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Not sure if the bolt got hot or if it just fell off have heard report of one coming off

Jayman77
07-09-2016, 08:25 PM
I will just clean up the melted plastic perform a cosmetic surgery and learn from this dumb mistake I hope you guys learn from it as well I will be looking for a suitable mount in the morning

'16 TT250
07-10-2016, 12:01 AM
Had you shown a pic of it before running it I woulda warned you that it would melt the plastic. As for the bolt, yes it got too hot too.

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 03:39 AM
Had you shown a pic of it before running it I woulda warned you that it would melt the plastic. As for the bolt, yes it got too hot too.

Hey I was not thinking very well

SeerAtlas
07-10-2016, 04:40 AM
what about airbox clearance,melting?

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 04:43 AM
what about airbox clearance,melting?

Air box is free and clear I had to a just the cluch cable some but it freed to I was just a boon head with the license plate mount:ohno: but it is fine it:tup:cleaned up and is no big deal but it was more than worth it

PNWDualRider
07-10-2016, 04:53 AM
Air box is free and clear I had to a just the cluch cable some but it freed to I was just a boon head with the license plate mount:ohno: but it is fine it:tup:cleaned up and is no big deal but it was more than worth it

Did you have to drill out the flange to be larger or was it a perfect fit already?

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 07:02 AM
It's the pulse air injection valve and has no relation to EGR nor does it in any way do what EGR does. It's not there for the cat either, but it can take some of the load off the cat and make it more efficient. Pretty sure it does nothing at heavy throttle and I've never heard of it overheating an exhaust system. It's called secondary air injection and it's there to introduce air into the exhaust to burn off any hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel) that made it past combustion in the cylinder. Most cars/trucks accomplish this with a pump, the smog pump, but on bikes it's done with pulse air injection, some cars also use pulse air instead of a pump. After the exhaust stroke there's a small pulse of vacuum created in the exhaust and this vacuum sucks a little bit of air through the pulse air valve. With an aftermarket exhaust some bikes will crackle or rumble on deceleration, blocking the valve supposedly cures that. I haven't had the problem with any of my bikes so I haven't messed with any PAI valves. The system doesn't hamper performance at all other than maybe a bit of turbulence in the exhaust port due to the hole, but disabling the system won't change that unless the hole is welded and blended to eliminate it's existence. Some people think that allowing air to enter reduces the vacuum in the exhaust reducing the positive effects of valve overlap where a vacuum helps the incoming charge fill the cylinder. The theory has validity until one considers that the time it takes for the pulse air to happen will likely be after the exhaust valve has closed. As far as I know the pulse air doesn't function at heavy throttle anyway, it has a vacuum hose and I'm pretty sure that's there to control when the valve should let air in, at times of high vacuum/low load. I watched a dyno run of a Hyabusa with and without the PAI and it didn't change anything. I believe on that bike the computer controls the valve and it's been said that it shuts off under load. A shot of chain lube did add almost 5HP taking it to 197HP at the wheel, don't ignore your chains people.

EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) allows exhaust to enter the intake during cruise operation to reduce the effective compression of the engine lowering cylinder temp. to lower NOX emissions. It shuts off under heavy load so it's not a power robber, but some people think that any emissions device robs power.

Cats also don't rob power if they're not restrictive, but everyone automatically assumes they are restrictive. BTW, I haven't noticed it mentioned but the cat on the TT isn't in the head pipe like the Hawk, it's in the muffler and visible through the outlet. It looks like the outlet could be cut open pretty easily to gain access to the innards of the muffler. Since it has the beauty cap the welding afterwards wouldn't have to be pretty. I suspect that just eliminating the puny outlet and enlarging it to the size of the hole in the cap would add a nice deeper sound and reduce restriction without doing anything else. One could enlarge the hole in the cap pretty easily if wanted to go even further. Efficient and quiet mufflers on a single are challenging. I've made a few mufflers/exhaust systems and the generator on my MH has been the most challenging one so far, but I finally nailed it. Using different lengths of rectangular tubing for the outlet did the trick, my theory at the time was to break up the frequencies and having differing size pipes apparently did it. I used rectangular instead of round to also break up the port noise frequencies, if I'd had two different diameter or shaped tubes Ida used them. That almost 40 year old clunker is quieter than my friends' much newer ones in their fancy rigs.

This post is exhausting :lmao: I am not a genius mechanic and this is common core exshaust

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 07:05 AM
OK this is hoe I did flange

Cut the top of on bolt hole and use good washers probably will check bolt often

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 07:09 AM
The middle just bolted right up but to raise the muffler up I did this with a very strong clamp to pipe right under air box no frame cuts or weilds

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Run muffler as far into pipe as you can and use stainless steal zip tie

You can bolt it through where the hand grip bolts to the frame but it will require some grinding and you would have to cut original mountil to be cut off did not want to do that

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 07:19 AM
For now everything looks good and exshaust is not melting anything:tdown:

I will look for a more permanent solution if it is necessary but it is good for now I am going to be at my friend shop later this week and I am sure the grinder and the weilders will make its way into the picture

Took it for a run and it is so different also top speed is one 68 it was 64 but the real difference is in the middle gears 2 through 4 pull like hell:yay:

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 07:26 AM
Not to bad

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 07:45 AM
This thing feels like a leaf blower put you hand behind factory exshaust and it feels like it it tring to push out a popcorn fart the pipes that lead to muffler are much bigger and the exhaust hole is big enough that you can almost stick your hand in it spark arrester is clearly visible not hangers required

Free and open exshaust that does not chock out your power:thanks:

Thanks for all the tips and links to videos I watched them all and used some things from both and threw in a few of my own I hope this helps and if any of you guys do this and see something I missed please let me know:thanks:

And please no noise from the peanut gallery about the melted fender I am the first one to pull the trigger on the TT250 SUPER MODS

simonjester
07-10-2016, 10:07 AM
This thing feels like a leaf blower put you hand behind factory exshaust and it feels like it it tring to push out a popcorn fart the pipes that lead to muffler are much bigger and the exhaust hole is big enough that you can almost stick your hand in it spark arrester is clearly visible not hangers required

Free and open exshaust that does not chock out your power:thanks:

Thanks for all the tips and links to videos I watched them all and used some things from both and threw in a few of my own I hope this helps and if any of you guys do this and see something I missed please let me know:thanks:

And please no noise from the peanut gallery about the melted fender I am the first one to pull the trigger on the TT250 SUPER MODS

Thank you for blazing the trail. :thanks: :clap::D

moparrob
07-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to affix the aftermarket canister to the stock header pipe? That would seem to avoid alot of the problematic mounting and clearance issues.

Jayman77
07-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to affix the aftermarket canister to the stock header pipe? That would seem to avoid alot of the problematic mounting and clearance issues.

The new one is bigger and has the bulge not sure what bulge is for :shrug:but hey for 140$ I wanted it:lmao:

2LZ
07-10-2016, 11:11 AM
I am the first one to pull the trigger on the TT250 SUPER MODS

Hell yah!!! :-) Forge that path!

moparrob
07-10-2016, 04:49 PM
I was wondering if one could retain the stock header pipe and affix the new canister to the stock header. That would avoid a few of the fitment issues it seems.

BlackBike
07-10-2016, 04:59 PM
2LZ will provide the perfect solution ( with the help of his neighbors and knowhow ).

Seems like he always has a buddy that can.....

pcspecialist
07-10-2016, 09:53 PM
On my Hawk, I decatitated the head pipe and drilled some holes in the plate in the middle/interior of the muffler (with a very long drill bit I have for running cables), but, there's too much restriction at the outlet so I purchased a Pro Circuit insert. By the dimensions given, it should be a bolt in replacement. It hasn't shipped yet, but, I hope to have it by the end of the week.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001654JK0

moparrob
07-10-2016, 10:08 PM
On my Hawk, I decatitated the head pipe and drilled some holes in the plate in the middle/interior of the muffler (with a very long drill bit I have for running cables), but, there's too much restriction at the outlet so I purchased a Pro Circuit insert. By the dimensions given, it should be a bolt in replacement. It hasn't shipped yet, but, I hope to have it by the end of the week.

Interesting.

I would love to hear the end result sound with that modification.

simonjester
07-10-2016, 10:08 PM
I was wondering if one could retain the stock header pipe and affix the new canister to the stock header. That would avoid a few of the fitment issues it seems.

Me too. Since the cat is in the stock muffler and not the header pipe, it seems like it would be a better solution to keep the existing stock header pipe and just attach a new muffler that doesn't contain a cat. What am I missing?

2LZ
07-10-2016, 11:04 PM
2LZ will provide the perfect solution ( with the help of his neighbors and knowhow ).

Seems like he always has a buddy that can.....
You have far too much faith in me, Grasshoppah! I am quite interested to receive this new pipe though. Jayman cut the path for the TT's....it's much easier to follow an open trail. ;-)

...and now that the carb seems to be sealed or "chingised", a Mikuni is on the list....and a breather. Why not?

pcspecialist
07-11-2016, 02:05 AM
Interesting.

I would love to hear the end result sound with that modification.

You should hear it with the stock part removed (it becomes a trumpet). It is loud, but, not horribly loud.

Jayman77
07-11-2016, 03:13 AM
I hate to open this can of worms but I can not post a video I have tried multiple times help please I am sure there is a link I will show how you can bolt down the exshaust

But I like the way I did it no cuts on frame no real mod
just plug and play all cuts where on exshaust

Leaving the tt250 in original condition

moparrob
07-12-2016, 12:45 AM
I hate to open this can of worms but I can not post a video I have tried multiple times help please I am sure there is a link I will show how you can bolt down the exshaust

But I like the way I did it no cuts on frame no real mod
just plug and play all cuts where on exshaust

Leaving the tt250 in original condition

The easiest way is to host it on a photo site (like Photobucket) then insert the link into your post.

Jayman77
07-12-2016, 03:52 AM
The easiest way is to host it on a photo site (like Photobucket) then insert the link into your post.

Thanks will give it a try

2LZ
07-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks will give it a try

Forging yet another path Jayman. I'm curious about this too. Mrs. 2LZ got me a Go Pro for Christmas last year and I have yet to tackle the "film/post" process. Old dog...new trick, I fear.

pcspecialist
07-12-2016, 01:27 PM
I can not post a video I have tried multiple times help please
Upload it to youtube and post the link here.

Jayman77
07-12-2016, 02:31 PM
No stainless steel strap need just use the spring that comes with the muffler :doh:

2LZ
07-12-2016, 03:48 PM
No stainless steel strap need just use the spring that comes with the muffler :doh:

Ain't it nice when it comes with all the proper hardware? That's one of the things I like about the FMF TC2 setup. Has all the brackets and stuff....if it will fit your application, which it looks like isn't an option on this model.

I wish my pipe would show up. I'm more impatient about this than I was waiting for the dang bike!

Jayman77
07-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Ain't it nice when it comes with all the proper hardware? That's one of the things I like about the FMF TC2 setup. Has all the brackets and stuff....if it will fit your application, which it looks like isn't an option on this model.

I wish my pipe would show up. I'm more impatient about this than I was waiting for the dang bike!

Getting this exshaust is basically getting a new bike

2LZ
07-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Getting this exshaust is basically getting a new bike

That's for sure. Exhaust and proper jetting really woke up my X-Moto, Rhino and most of all, Q. I need the TT250 to outrun Q, or at least hold its own. Q is only a 200 and it will pull the TT right now by a decent margin. This must be fixed.

Jayman77
07-12-2016, 06:45 PM
I put a video on YouTube TT250 exshaust mod check it out

hertz9753
07-12-2016, 07:41 PM
You spelled exhaust wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDhllWmZk4

BlackBike
07-12-2016, 08:26 PM
I like it... ex shaust . Can I please have it in a sentence? Jayman replaced his exshaust on utube and was throughly exshausted. :p

This coming from bb, the man who wrote scs instead of csc.

2LZ
07-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Sounds good and looks really nice!
Our exhaust arrived tonight. It's going to be hard waiting for the other parts I ordered but I want to do the tear down in one fell swoop. Breather, Mikuni, jetting, strip some of the smog stuff, exhaust and also, replace the fluid in the forks and get them right. Probably be down for a week........... Parts should be here soon though! Shipped already.

moparrob
07-12-2016, 11:28 PM

I saw this one also for sale on Amazon. Any idea what the difference might be?

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Circuit-Modular-Canister-PC4001-0001/dp/B000GU3I12/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Z6OqgECkL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=P4645FQAMW1JKFPM5QYZ

simonjester
07-13-2016, 12:26 AM

Cool! Could you post a link to the YouTube video please?

ughmas
07-13-2016, 12:31 AM

nice work that sounds mean

kohburn
07-13-2016, 08:36 AM
will have to keep that in mind for later. want to finish break in before doing any performance mods.

Jayman77
07-13-2016, 02:46 PM
You spelled exhaust wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDhllWmZk4

About 6 different ways if you look

2LZ
07-13-2016, 03:22 PM
will have to keep that in mind for later. want to finish break in before doing any performance mods.

Exactly my thinking as well. I didn't start to order any motor mods until it hit about 480 kilomiles on the ticker. Plus I want to the Mrs. to get used to it in stock form so she has something to compare to when it's done.

"Kilomile: A measurement specific to the Zongshen/CSC TT250. The odo reads in kilometers, the speedo reads in MPH, but the speedo, which trips the odo, is under by 5MPH. Hence, Kilomile."

simonjester
07-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Exactly my thinking as well. I didn't start to order any motor mods until it hit about 480 kilomiles on the ticker. Plus I want to the Mrs. to get used to it in stock form so she has something to compare to when it's done.

"Kilomile: A measurement specific to the Zongshen/CSC TT250. The odo reads in kilometers, the speedo reads in MPH, but the speedo, which trips the odo, is under by 5MPH. Hence, Kilomile."

:lmao::lmao: Yeah I was wondering that the other day. I'm no mechanic, but if the little gear that registers the speed isn't spinning at the right rate, doesn't it also affect the one that measures the distance traveled? They are kinda related after all. :hehe:

BlackBike
07-14-2016, 08:39 PM

They are like me, haven't figured the whole "mathematics " idea out yet.:lmao:

kohburn
07-15-2016, 06:14 AM
they both run off the cable input but are geared separately. many production bikes have accurate odometers but are 5-8% off on the speed. its done intentionally for liability reasons.

2LZ
07-15-2016, 10:44 AM
they both run off the cable input but are geared separately. many production bikes have accurate odometers but are 5-8% off on the speed. its done intentionally for liability reasons.

Yah...but my explanation was funnier... ;-)
Speaking of which, finally broke the 500 mark after work last night, counting the 100 +/- I lost after the cable snapped.
Officially broke in! Woo hoo!

Weldangrind
07-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Let the mods begin!

simonjester
07-16-2016, 11:14 AM

So I wonder why it's such a difficult task to change them from KPH to MPH if it's just a matter of switching out a gear on the speedo? Must not be as easy as it sounds. It would be nice if CSC got the good speedos and the other spare parts soon.

celswick13
07-26-2016, 09:19 PM
So here are pics from installing my exhaust. (same kind).
I made a bracket from a piece of flat steel bar.
The main difference in my setup is that I am using a 1.5" standoff between the muffler mount and the bracket.
It puts the exhaust tip a bit further out and hopefully negates the need to trim the rear plastic or melt anything. Time will tell.
Right now the standoff is just some piece of Nylon something or another I found.
But I have a section of nylon rod coming in. I will drill it and cut it as needed.

Originally I had an exhaust leak around the header pipe and engine. Found two gaskets or seal pads that were not installed very well.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160725_225311818.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160725_223808262.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160506521.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160501224.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160457629.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160451263.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160443520.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160428241_HDR.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160423543_HDR.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p140/exiztenz/IMG_20160726_160418906_HDR.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtG5v6w57hc&feature=youtu.be

I still have a few more things to do with it, but it seems ok for now.

I'm at about 300' elevation where I live, and climb up to 3000 tops.
I'm using a 112 jet on the stock carb, with the lid off the airbox.
I can't ride at the moment and have to wait for a friend to give it a spin and see if I need to go up to 115 jet.

PNWDualRider
07-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Hey y'all!
I installed my new exhaust today and boy does it sound good! Added a video to the youtubes as well if you wanted to take a look. I addressed a couple issues I had and what I did for the install.

https://youtu.be/-qSFp9jX32c

moparrob
07-28-2016, 09:22 PM
How does one locate the youtube videos?

PNWDualRider
07-28-2016, 09:55 PM

It's in the post 😀

hertz9753
07-28-2016, 10:16 PM

I think he did a ninja edit. :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSFp9jX32c&feature=youtu.be

PNWDualRider
07-28-2016, 10:44 PM
I think he did a ninja edit. :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSFp9jX32c&feature=youtu.be

I did!!! Hahaha I was hoping someone should notice. Haha

ughmas
07-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Hey y'all!
I installed my new exhaust today and boy does it sound good! Added a video to the youtubes as well if you wanted to take a look. I addressed a couple issues I had and what I did for the install.

https://youtu.be/-qSFp9jX32c

awesome vid thanks, can't wait to put mine on. What headlight bulb did you get? the stock is pretty poor.

PNWDualRider
07-29-2016, 01:33 AM
awesome vid thanks, can't wait to put mine on. What headlight bulb did you get? the stock is pretty poor.

It's an OPT7 Motorcycle LED Headlight Kit w/ Arc-Beam™ Clear 6K Cool White - 40w 3,500Lm CREE (H4, 9003) - 2 Yr Warranty

My original bulb's low beam went out the first 30 minutes of riding...