PDA

View Full Version : Hitch on 4 wheeler or no?

oldandugly
10-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Does anyone have experience with putting a hitch on the 2 wheel drives? I have four trailers to constantly move around the yard and it is a pain in the butt. Could a 250 CC handle it for short distances or is it just a bad idea? Thanks for any input.

liverchip
10-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Depending on how the hitch is attached to the frame, a 250 with a manual transmission wound probably not have any issues pulling a relatively light load, but unless it has a low/high type auxillary transmission such as what is often found on a true 'utility' quad, torque at low speed might be a bit limited. That said, if your quad is equiped with a CVT(automatic) tranny, too much loading can cause slipping within the drive and belt failure(don't ask how I know).

oldandugly
10-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks again for the help. You may not remember but you helped me out about a year ago. Anyway, the trailers are not very heavy and I don't believe that any of the tongue weights exceeds 150 lbs. None of them would ever move over 50 yards at a time. I don't own one as of yet, but considering a 250 with reverse of course. In your opinion is that doable or am I just being silly?

katoranger
10-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Are you looking at the sport or utility models? I think the utility would be okay with a light trailer short distance.

Allen

CathastrophiX
10-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I have a Suzuki Ozark 250 wich I use to pull my boat on a wagon, I also have a small trailer for various transports.
I have built a special wagon for hauling timber and firewood from the forest.
I always get surprised what the little 250 can pull. Boat + wagon for example is about 500 kg. Max allowed towing is around 350 kg I think 8) .
I have Kenda Bearclaw tires (you need good grip when you only have 2 wd)
During the winter I plow snow around the house and the ice for the kids to play hockey on.

oldandugly
10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks gentlemen for the replies. I think that I will most likely give it a try. I am surprised that one could get enough traction to push snow. My family owns 3 China enduros and 1 "four wheeler" and our experience has been well worth the money. One of them has tons of abuse heaped upon it and runs fantastic. Of course we have fixed the typical things on it but couldn't be happier with the drive train, especially for the price.