PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Viva VX200S Questions

TJinPgh
10-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Hi,
I came across a small local dealer that has a couple of 2006 Viva VX200S bikes that he's looking to sell at what I think is a pretty good price, $850 fully assembled (cheaper if you buy both of them).

Both are brand new, never titled.

I have a couple of questions regarding this bike.

First, is there any real difference between the 2006 models and whatever happens to be the newest ones?

I've seen a couple of ads for them online. They still look about the same.

Also, are these bikes 4 speed or 5 speed.

Now, for the most important question. I'm not a very tall guy. 5'10" if I round up, with a 29-30" inseam.

I did a seat test on this bike, and the rear suspension didn't budge. No sag what so ever. As a result, I was on my tip toes touching the ground.

Is the suspension on these adjustable at all so that it would drop down 2 or 3 inches when sitting on it?

This bike would be used about 99% for street riding, with the very rare dirt road thrown in. No off road stuff at all, I don't think. So, is there anything that could be done to lower it a bit?

If not, unfortunately, there's not much point in my considering it at any price, as it's entirely too high for me now.

Beyond that, is $850 a good price for this? Or, should it be lower considering it's a 2006.

Are there any other bikes around the same price that I should be considering for street use?

TIA

TJ

driller
10-13-2007, 02:36 AM
That sounds like a good deal, price wise and yes the rear suspension can be adjusted for less spring pressure which should let the bike sit lower with your weight on it.

red2003
10-13-2007, 09:59 AM
That sounds like a good deal, price wise and yes the rear suspension can be adjusted for less spring pressure which should let the bike sit lower with your weight on it.

Correction; that rear suspension ISN"T adjustable. The Viva's and all the other China DS bikes I've seen have a horrible rear suspension design. Do a search here for suspension mods. Anyway, that rear suspension is ALWAYS gonna be rigid unless you rebuild the rear linkage and/or replace the shock. Here's what I did;

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1315&highlight=shock+roketa

If you read through the whole article, you'll see SamM's response to his Viva rear suspension. If you're just gonna street it, go for it. It'll be fine on road, just not that comfortable.

pumpkin
10-13-2007, 12:50 PM
a lifan rear shock should fix the lack of movement . the bottom of the viva shock is to big around and hits/rides against the linkage. i tried to put Sam's viva shock on my lifan it would not fit because of this.

red2003
10-14-2007, 08:12 AM
a lifan rear shock should fix the lack of movement . the bottom of the viva shock is to big around and hits/rides against the linkage. i tried to put Sam's viva shock on my lifan it would not fit because of this.

The shock hitting the linkage isn't the problem. The linkage is the problem. I'd take some careful measurements before trying a Lifan shock on there. I thought all these bikes used the same rear shock dimensions, but they don't. The frames all look the same, but they are different.

TJinPgh
10-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Red2003,

So, is this problem exclusive to the Viva (and other bikes that are clones of it such as some Roketas, etc)? Or, do all of the chinabikes have the same problem?

In other words, if I bought a Lifan would it have the same problem?

Also, where's the best place to price a shock for it? The thread used a R1 shock. Is that something that I'd be best hitting a dealer for, or is there an aftermarket source that's reliable and cost effective that you're aware of?

I'm not entirely sure I'd trust Ebay for that type of part, as there'd be no way to know whether the shock was blown or not without seeing it first?

red2003
10-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Red2003,

So, is this problem exclusive to the Viva (and other bikes that are clones of it such as some Roketas, etc)? Or, do all of the chinabikes have the same problem?

In other words, if I bought a Lifan would it have the same problem?

Also, where's the best place to price a shock for it? The thread used a R1 shock. Is that something that I'd be best hitting a dealer for, or is there an aftermarket source that's reliable and cost effective that you're aware of?

I'm not entirely sure I'd trust Ebay for that type of part, as there'd be no way to know whether the shock was blown or not without seeing it first?

Sourcing a shock from a dealer is not really worth it. I paid $20.00 for the R1 shock from eBay and it was near perfect. That shock through Yammi is like $550.00! The Lifan's are in the same boat as are most all the China DS bikes. The dirt-only bikes seem to have a better rear suspension, and some of the new 250cc DS's, like the Kayak, atleast have a rising rate linkage, but still only advertise like 3 inches of travel :( . If your just gonna street it, go for it, but if you're gonna trail ride at all hard, I suggest a suspension mod of some sort.

Q
10-14-2007, 06:36 PM
The Lifan bikes imported by American Lifan do not have a problem with the rear shock hitting the mounting. Don't know about the others.

Q

pumpkin
10-15-2007, 12:39 AM
sam's viva had that problim with the shock riding on the linkage. his shock was stiffer than mine so i was going to buy it off of him only to find out that with his viva shock i had the same problim. we laid the two shocks side by side and the viva shock was way bigger around at the base.

i personally think the linkage design on these ds bikes is flawed, but for a person like myself who doesn't have a shop(other than a little corner of my basement) getting a smaller diameter shock would be a cheep and easy fix.

TJinPgh
10-15-2007, 01:22 AM
If your just gonna street it, go for it, but if you're gonna trail ride at all hard, I suggest a suspension mod of some sort.

Well, in my case, ride comfort was less an issue than seat height. Like I said before, I was up on my very tip toes when sitting my full weight on the bike, unless the Suzuiki dual sport that they just had at my MSP. Standing next to it, the seat was no lower than the Viva, but I was able to flat foot it nicely sitting on it.

It would need to drop down a good 3-4 inches from stock before I'd really feel comfortable/safe riding it.

red2003
10-15-2007, 07:38 AM
The Lifan bikes imported by American Lifan do not have a problem with the rear shock hitting the mounting. Don't know about the others.

Q

The shock hitting the mount isn't the problem. Read through my post mentioned above.

red2003
10-15-2007, 07:40 AM
If your just gonna street it, go for it, but if you're gonna trail ride at all hard, I suggest a suspension mod of some sort.

Well, in my case, ride comfort was less an issue than seat height. Like I said before, I was up on my very tip toes when sitting my full weight on the bike, unless the Suzuiki dual sport that they just had at my MSP. Standing next to it, the seat was no lower than the Viva, but I was able to flat foot it nicely sitting on it.

It would need to drop down a good 3-4 inches from stock before I'd really feel comfortable/safe riding it.

PM member "Fatboy250". He bought a Roketa DB07B for his girlfriend because they were a good deal shorter. That's probably the way to go for you. I think they can be had for about $900 shipped.

jhmotorsports
10-15-2007, 09:22 AM
I can get you a Roketa, but it won't be $900, it would be around $1350 plus tax. Thanks, Joe at J&H Motorsports. Don't forget, you can have both Viva's for $1500 and maybe have someone modify one for you. Let me know.