PDA

View Full Version : Man, whaddaday. (long rant)

cheesy
10-12-2016, 09:42 PM
I don't go to bars and this has always been the best place to blow of steam when I need to.

If I was made of money, today would have been the day I walked off the job. I blew up about a demo I need to do tomorrow. Not the demo itself, but the beat up POS I had to prep to do the demo with.

I had wanted to use a crane that only had 140 hours on it and told all involved it would be ready by noon today. On Monday, a rental return came in and my boss decided we would use that one instead.>: 945 hours on the clock and in serious need of service.

I wasn't too miffed at the time but I was so busy on Monday with being short handed, helping helpless staff, and fielding phone calls that it took me fours hours to get the first wire soldered into place.

I started wiring in earnest yesterday, which only took a couple of hours and spent the rest of the day repairing damage to the boom. I was starting to simmer then.

Today was supposed to be the easy day. Check the hydraulic level. Attach the demo unit to the boom, plug in the hydraulics, the electrical and be done with it. Yeah, right. First thing I notice is the hydraulic tank is low. Really low. I used all the oil I had in the shop, seven gallons, and that didn't budge the low level. So, I ordered ten more gallons to be delivered in an hour. Next, one of my minions has banged into the demo unit with a fork truck and busted a coil and Hirschmann plug. I know which one because the other guys would have told me and fixed it. Not happy about it but I have spares so it's done in 20 minutes.

I get everything attached, turn on the flow and power and not a freaking thing happens. Now I'm starting to get pissed. No flow means a bad coil and resister in the crane. No power needed checking. I find the male plug on the demo unit is wired wrong. At this time my boss comes out(I should say I'm doing this outside, it's raining, and the temp is dropping)and wants to know why the plug is wired wrong and if I'll be done by noon, because the trucks are here to pick up the machines. I lost it. The F-bombs fell like rain. He had the gall to tell me I had no reason to be pissed off...until my 15" adjustable bounced off a steel door and I started to really roar. He got the hint and left and I told everyone that didn't work in the shop to get the hell out of the shop and let me fix this POS.

It went downhill from there. The GM came out to speak with me about my 'behavior' and I told him with a calm in my voice I did not feel, to get the hell away from me or I will start my retirement today and you idiots can set up and do the damn demo yourself. He left. Then it started to rain harder.

The resister and coil is usually a 10 minute job. Because it was rusted in place, it took an hour. I also managed to cut the crap out of myself and had blood running down both my arms. Our PA stepped out for smoke, saw the blood, and tried to get all helpy. I like her and had to tell her to just please go away.

It took another forty five minutes to suss the plug. I have now worked through my lunch and two hours beyond. It is still raining. I plug everything back in and...it works. Yay! It's running backwards but that's just swapping two hoses. But, I see a tooth missing from the chain. It took 15 minutes to find a replacement and another 10 to install it. The mood is not getting any better.

I now need to get the plug mounted to the boom and fill the hydraulic tank. I center punch and drill the first hole. I start the tap and turn it back to break the chip and break the tap instead. It's still raining and I'm about to lose it again. Relocate the plug and try again. Got lucky and didn't break a tap but one of the drills walked and I ended up having to take a rattail to slot one of the holes in the plug. Done. Rain has let up a bit.

I hoist a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil up to the deck and climb up myself. I pull up the spout and then pop the seal on the bucket and end up just getting the ring. After a few minutes of questioning my sanity, I manage to get the spout open and dump the entire contents into the tank. The oil level is just visible in the sight glass. So I dump the other five gallon bucket in. The tank level is now where it is supposed to be and it only took seventeen gallons to get there. Not only do I despise some of our salesmen, I'm not too fond of some of our customers.

I get the equipment loaded and sent off to the demo sight. It is now 4:15 pm. Quitting time is 15 minutes away and I still haven't eaten since a cookie with my cuppa at 7:30. I will be glad to get away from this place.

Heading home and not one block from the shop, a semi runs a stop sign. The Ural and I jump a ditch and slide sideways through a parking lot. The trucker stops and because of the mood I'm in, I want to kill the guy. One of the women from accounting was behind me when it happened and stopped me from making my day even worse. She is a retired Army Sergent from the first Gulf War and not someone mess with. Man, did that trucker get an upbraiding, though. I think she was still tearing him a new one by time I got home.

So, that was my day. Told management that the strobe light, brake lights and turn signals on the crane didn't work and I didn't care. It was their call to use that machine, not mine.

Bruce's
10-12-2016, 10:26 PM
You are a better man than me cheese ,I would of been employed elsewhere before lunch if some tool decided to pull that crap on me .If it makes you feel any better ,you know you could tell them to piss off ,then maybe take a drive up here to drop off that old crappy jeep for proper disposal .

BlackBike
10-13-2016, 12:33 AM
You take the good with the bad...today was the bad :ohno:

2LZ
10-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Wow....apparently the deck of cards dealt that morning dictated that it was your day in the barrel. Glad you survived it.

FastDoc
10-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Wow.

Doc understands how you felt, anger outburst and all.

Some days are just a rats arse and when they go downhill they really go downhill.

The Good News is that today is another day.

Was the crane abused or neglected, or is that what happens to cranes?

I don't know if you are familiar with Lampson Cranes but they are based where I am, and a worldwide operation. They hire many people, and I know them as patients and from around the community. Cranes are a BIG industry.

BTW when you say 'demo' I assume you mean 'demonstration'? Or 'demolition'?

You are wise to hang out with us rather than in a bar. I have vented here in the past and also have not been in a bar since I was underage ;-).

Glad you and the Soviet Cheeze-Mobile are OK.

cheesy
10-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Today was somewhat better because I spent most of the day away from the shop.

Doc, demo in this case is both demonstration and demolition. We were demoing an undercutter bar that is used to remove old ballast and mud from beneath railroad ties. So there is a bit o' destruction involved. It worked, after a fashion, but both I and the local rep are questioning some aspects of the design. It really doesn't help that I get the pieces of equipment with absolutely no information or factory training and have to go out to show others how the things work. Just a few more years.

Not familiar with that company, Doc, but we call our unit a crane because it's easier to say than 'rubber tired railroad excavator'. It's not a true crane, which use cables instead of hydraulics for lifting.

I got back to the shop a bit after three and snuck in the back way, hoping no one would notice I was there. Didn't work. Still, got my paperwork done and out the door before quitting time. I started 2 hours early, figuring I should light out 2 hours early. Didn't happen, but I got out 20 minutes early and I'm now on vacation until the 25th. Shutting off the cell phone.

Bruce's
10-13-2016, 10:00 PM
That's not geismar ,modern track machinery is it ?

BlackBike
10-13-2016, 10:46 PM
If that's it cheese has lots of neat toys to play with

cheesy
10-13-2016, 10:53 PM
That's not geismar ,modern track machinery is it ?

Dingdingdingding!:clap:

Bruce's
10-13-2016, 11:30 PM
i have dealt with them a few times over the years

cheesy
10-14-2016, 06:04 AM
i have dealt with them a few times over the years

I don't know if that is good or bad.

Bruce's
10-14-2016, 07:48 AM
It's been a long time ,but I remember it being good ,but expensive .As you know there are only so many places you can purchase specialty rail things , so our local mines have some of your products so I would need to bite the bullet and purchase parts and accessories from you guys .
Ok now ,since I figured it out as a bit of a fluke ,when are you delivering the p.o.s. LJ to me and it does come with a full tank of gas too right?
Have a better day today Cheese!
Bruce.

cheesy
10-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Man, you and that Jeep.

I bet you dealt with Gerry Wallis. And yes, expensive. Whenever I get stabbed by the Audi dealer my response is, "Who do you think you are, Modern Track?"

Bruce's
10-14-2016, 10:24 AM
I have not built a Lj in a long long time ,and think I would build myself a keeper out of it .Cannot remember who I dealt with at the time ,but I do remember putting two of my guys in a truck to drive non stop somewhere down near Chicago to pick up some parts I needed in a big hurry .I think they now have an office in Toronto on Shawson Drive .

cheesy
10-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Yep, that was probably Gerry, if you were lucky. He set up the operation here in Ilannoy and went back to Toronto when things got going.

Weldangrind
10-14-2016, 12:56 PM
I started 2 hours early, figuring I should light out 2 hours early. Didn't happen.

Starting two hours early is how to guarantee that I'll be working two hours later than normal. Never fails.

I pull up the spout and then pop the seal on the bucket and end up just getting the ring.

There would have been no recovery for me at that point.

Bruce's
10-14-2016, 01:32 PM
I am thinking that since cheese shit the bed on Wednesday ,and he came up with a new word "whaddaday " ,that around here hump day should now be declared Whaddaday ! .