PDA

View Full Version : Roketa ATV-02 Fuel Capacity

jitterhall
10-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I am interested in learning more about the Roketa ATV-02, and am hoping someone here either has one, or knows someone who does. The ATV-02 is a 250cc utility-type quad. You can see it on the Roketa website:

http://www.roketa.com/product/6/0/2434.shtml

According to the specifications, the fuel capacity on this quad is 1.05 gallons. Is that right? I am interested in buying the Roketa, but not if the fuel tank is only 1.05 gallons. I don't want to have to carry a gas can with me just to travel from my truck to my deer shack and back.

I've seen other Chinese quads that look identical to the ATV-02, but have a different brand name, and they are listed as having a fuel capacity of 11 liters (just under 3 gallons) which seems more realistic to me for a 500 lb, 250cc utility quad.

Anyone who can shed some light on this will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

ejcycles
11-01-2007, 07:16 AM
jitterhall
Be carefull with what you buy, there are a lot of quads out there and Roketa is one that is tough to get parts for. There are others that are worse.... you'll never get parts for some of them. If your looking at price and not quality, I guess this is all I can say.

TP
11-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I have an ATV-02. The gas tank is about 3 gallons. An all day ride uses a gallon or so. Parts can be purchased directly from Roketa on their website. I ordered a new fender skirt that was damaged hitting a tree and it came in 4 days.

jitterhall
11-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your reply TP!

A fuel capacity of 3 gallons seemed more likely than 1 gallon. It's good to have it confirmed by someone who actually owns and operates one!

I had seen the Roketa website where parts can be purchased. The photo-layouts of all the various assemblies and part numbers seemed user friendly. I'm glad to hear you had a good result using it to order parts. There seem to be a lot of horror stories about not being able to get parts for Chinese ATV's/cycles. Being able to easily order parts is one of the reasons I am interested in the Roketa.

What is your overall impression of the ATV-02? Are you happy with it? Has it given you any problems? I'd really appreciate any information you would be willing to share.

Thanks again,

Greg

TP
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Jitterhall

I purchased the ATV-02 about 6 months ago and have had pretty good luck with it. It has been ridden nearly every weekend since.

The ATV came in a box and was mostly assembled, only requiring installing the handlebars, front wheels and rear shock. Before riding it I replaced the engine oil, gear oil in the rear end and reverse gearbox, and the coolant. I adjusted the clutch and brakes, and installed a fuel filter between the tank and carburetor. I also went through it and loosened most of the frame and rack bolts and put a drop of loctite on them since they did not have locking fasteners.

I put some gas in it and it started right up. After letting it idle for 15-20 minutes or so (they say you should do this to dissolve the gel pack that protects the float during shipping) I took it for a ride. It ran very lean from part to mid throttle, but fine at the top end. I backed out the idle mixture screw but it didn’t really help. Read on the internet that there is an adjustable needle valve in the throttle body that controls part throttle mixture. Basically you unscrew the top of the carb where the throttle cable comes in and remove the throttle body. There is a needle in the throttle body that is retained by a C-clip. The clip can be in one of 5 positions. Moving it down makes it run more rich. There are several articles out there on how to do this. I moved it down two notches and put it back together. Put it back the way it came out or it will be at open throttle. After that it has run very well with good low RPM response.

I think this quad originally came with 5 forward gears and a reverse gearbox with a lever on it. I think they used first gear and made it reverse, eliminating the need for the reverse lever. Having reverse in the transmission is nice, but first gear and reverse are a little high for the rough steep wooded terrain where I ride. In open country or established trails, it isn’t a problem.

I weigh about 220 lbs. and this quad pulls me around just fine. Top speed with me on it is about 40-45 MPH. It even pulled a very steep hill out of the creek bottoms a couple weeks ago with me, a friend that weighs about 190 and a full sized cooler. Pulls my 4x8 trailer just fine.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with this quad for the money. The manual is worthless, and technical support is nonexistent, but as long as I can get parts it should be fine. Wouldn’t recommend it to someone who can’t work on it themselves.

The only problems I have had were self induced. Rolled it once and bent the right brake caliper. Slide into a tree and ripped off a fender skirt. Ordered a new one to see if I really could get parts and it came quickly. Went through water almost up to the seat in a creek. It wouldn’t start later. Apparently the fuse holder filled with water. Popped the fuse out, dried it out, put it back, and it has worked fine since. The wiring harness doesn’t have sealed connectors, so I’m sure I will have some problems down the road, but should be able to fix them. It doesn’t have an oil filter and since the engine, transmission and clutch share the same oil, you will need to change it often.

Hope this helps.

jitterhall
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, TP. I really appreciate it.

Your info on setting up the quad will be invaluable if I do end up getting one. I don't mind doing a little wrenching, and this quad should do what I want it to, which is some trail-riding and light utility work. I'm going to decide pretty soon and will post something here when I do.

Regards,

Greg

TP
11-11-2007, 02:52 PM
While deer hunting this weekend I noticed a couple of issues. It was in the lower 20's early in the morning and I had a little trouble getting the quad started. Noticed that the choke lever on the handlebars didn't completely close the carb choke, and it isn't adjustable. Simply pushing up on the choke lever on the carb too close it all the way and press the start button starts it on the first crank.

Also heard a popping noise coming from the front end while going over the rocks in a creek. One of the bolts on the tie-rod ends had worked loose. The carter pin stopped it from coming off, but the hole was to low to stop it from loosing. Took all four off and put a washer under the nuts so that the hole was in the right spot to prevent it from backing out. Not a safety issue but worth mentioning since there is an easy fix.

On the lighter side. While taking the quads out to pick up our three deer my hunting partners 660cc Yamaha Grizzly got stuck in a ditch. Wish I had a camera to take a picture of the little 2WD Chinese ATV pulling the big bad Grizzly out.

MattA
11-16-2007, 06:09 AM
I have this ATV as well. Had it about a year and really like it. I never thought about the reverse originally being first but it makes total sense. I have the same issue with it running lean.

I also have a ATV made by Diamo called the Avalanche 250. It looks very similar to the Roketa ATV-02(body, frame, shaft drive) but it is a semi-auto transmission(no hand clutch, just shift the gears with your foot). Roketa may sell this model as well but I didn't look at their site to extensively.

The Diamo doesn't seem to have the same power as the Roketa but is much better for hauling stuff out of steep areas of my land(I think the motor is actually 223CC). The slip clutch doesn't allow a lot of power in the lower gears but helps with getting out of stuck spots. I find the Roketa difficult to deal with if I get stuck sometimes because you really have to work the hand clutch. It seems it can be easy to either stall it or pop the front end up.

The Roketa also has a some type of motor dampener which really cuts down on the engine vibration. This is really great at higher speeds.

I am 220Lbs and 6'1" and think these units fit me OK. I would like a bigger ATV but don't have the $$. My brother in law ran the Diamo into a tree and broke the plastics on the Diamo about two years ago and I have yet to replace them. I tried to order parts through Roketa for the ATV and they never processed my order. I didn't pursue the situation as money has been tight this year. Their prices seem wonderful on parts so if they come through that makes these ATV's even more attractive.

To sum up the Roketa ATV-02 seems more like a sport ATV with a utility ATV body. The Diamo Avalanche(or Roketa equivalent) is more of a true utility ATV without the constant need to work the hand clutch and to answer your question I would agree that the gas tank is about 3 gallons.

TP
11-16-2007, 02:50 PM
MattA:

Glad to hear from someone else that has an ATV-02. There is a good description for adjusting the carb on this site under tech info:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=3

This should correct your lean running problem. Just put the clip on the lowest (most rich) notch. It will start and run much better. Also helps pulling out of ditches without stalling it.

I agree that the ATV-02 is more of a sport quad with utility quad racks, fenders and a heavier steel frame. My son and his buddies like to ride wheelies, ride on two wheels, etc. and it has put up with the the abuse pretty well so far.

As you stated, it is geared a little high. On the top end, its faster than my friends Honda Foreman. The rubber engine mounts do minimize vibration.

I've been thinking about checking the valve adjustments, but the manual doesn't give a spec. Anyone know what the specs are for a pushrod water cooled 250? I was guessing 0.002" for the intake and 0.003" for the exhaust.

TP
07-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Just thought I would give an update on the Roketa ATV-02 utility quad. After 14 months of weekly riding on rough mountainous terrain, the quad has held up very well and is running better than ever. Starts easy in 15 to 90 degree weather with the current carb settings, and has good low RPM torque. Does have some cracked plastic from running or sliding into trees, but that isn’t the quads fault.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised.

GrifDad
08-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I just got my 250 today . Haven't been able to ride it yet :( . TP good tips . I'll have to do some tweakin .
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/GrifDad/DSC06149.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/GrifDad/?action=view&current=DSC06149.jpg)

MattA
08-01-2008, 10:05 AM
You'll love this ATV. I have no regrets buying it. I wouldn't say its for heavy duty use but if you take care of it you'll definitely get your money's worth. Shaft drive is low maintenance. It doesn't drink much gas which is nice as well. :)

TP
08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree you should be happy with your new purchase. I strongly suggest you make the carb adjustments I mentioned earlier. Put the C-clip in the most rich position and turn the idle mixture screw out two turns CCW from closed. This will make a huge difference in the low RPM torque. Also, the choke doesn't close all the way on mine, making it difficult to start in cold weather. Just push the choke lever at the carb closed the rest of the way by hand and hit the start button. It will fire right up and release the lever. Might want to keep the tires at about 7-8 pounds. I had mine at 4-5 pounds and spun the bead loose on one of the back tires. Putting a cup of slime in each tire also stops most leaks. Change the oil often at first because the clutch will put out a lot of debris until it wears in. I just use GTX 10W-40. Don't use 5W-30 or 10W-30 since they contain "Energy Conserving" lubricants that are bad for the clutch. Or use motorcycle oil, but it is more expensive. I also drilled a hole in the skid plate under the engine so that I can get a socket on the drain plug and the oil doesn't run all over when I drain it. A valve adjustment after a couple of months is also a good idea. Mine were pretty loose.

Enjoy the new ride and let us know how you like it.

GrifDad
08-13-2008, 01:31 AM
I am gearin up to do the needle adjustments . I've got the method , ( I don't know if I just have big hands or what , but dang it'd tight in there ) I have got very little clearance from the top of the carb to the gas tank . How far up do I have to pull the top of the carb up ?

I really like the bike so far . Super sweet . Pictures coming .

TP
08-16-2008, 12:39 PM
It is easier to remove the back gas tank bolts and lift the tank a little. You can get the top of the carb off without doing it, but it is more difficult. Remember to put it back the way it was because if you put it in 180 degrees out, it will start at full throttle.