PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Chinese Tractor? NorTrac?

letsride
02-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Hey Guys,
The Wife and I are in the market for a Compact tractor. We are most likely going to buy a big name brand. But in my research I couldn't help but notice NorTrac Tractors sold by Northern Tool. The price sure is attractive I haven't found anything bad on them. But the reviews are few. Some owners say that everything on the tractor is stamped FOTON? Anyone know about or own one of these tractors. On another note, it seems most of our old name brand U.S. tractors are now made in South Korea and India. And I would think Chinese folk are no strangers to farm equipment. :hmm::shrug:

jct842
02-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Check Mahindra from India too.

katoranger
02-28-2017, 08:31 AM
I was almost on the hook for an LS tractor. (Korean) Looks just like a new Holland, but it was pending on a house sale that was delayed. Currently using a 1949 Ford 8N until other obligations are taken care of. Give the LS tractors a look if there is a dealer near you.

I have seen good about the Nortrac tractors, but with anything Chinese you need to be prepared to work on it. If it was an older machine that I got cheap I would be ready to try one.

Foton is a Chinese manufacturer who likely builds some of the Nortrac machines. Try searching them also.

2LZ
02-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Check Mahindra from India too.
Yep. Great tractors. India has been building tractors longer than anyone on Earth. I have a neighbor down the road a piece who has had one for years and swears by it.

letsride
02-28-2017, 01:24 PM
I was almost on the hook for an LS tractor. (Korean) Looks just like a new Holland, but it was pending on a house sale that was delayed. Currently using a 1949 Ford 8N until other obligations are taken care of. Give the LS tractors a look if there is a dealer near you.

I have seen good about the Nortrac tractors, but with anything Chinese you need to be prepared to work on it. If it was an older machine that I got cheap I would be ready to try one.

Foton is a Chinese manufacturer who likely builds some of the Nortrac machines. Try searching them also.

Hey Kato, The 8N is an AWESOME MACHINE!! I had its bigger brother. A 1964 641 Workmaster. I kick myself daily for selling that tractor. If I didn't need a Bucket I would buy another classic Ford no sweat.

letsride
02-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Yep. Great tractors. India has been building tractors longer than anyone on Earth. I have a neighbor down the road a piece who has had one for years and swears by it.
I just got back from two local dealers. One sells Mahindra and LS, the other ole Green and yellow. ALL of them are priced about the same. A 25Hp Compact tractor with Hydrostatic drive and a Loader is 15K give or take a few hundred between the three. WELL THAT DIDN"T HELP HUH?:hmm: And the dealers are a mile from each other :lol: Heck the NorTrac 25XT is 12,999 on Northern Tools website. So um, YEAH I think I'll go with one of the other three. Now if the Chinese tractor was say 2 thirds or so the price of the other ones then maybe I would try one out. But not for only 2k less.

Bruce's
02-28-2017, 01:54 PM
I have a friend with a new holland he claims was thousands less than the other comparable tractors .He bought his with a lot of attachments though which might be where he saved the cash .

jsumd
02-28-2017, 02:06 PM
A friend has one and he uses it for all.sorts of heavy farm work. Only things that have happened are normal wear and tear.

ben2go
02-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Good info on these forums. I'm a member of both. I'm hoping to buy an SCUT next year. Probably Kubota BX series.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

http://www.mytractorforum.com/

BlackBike
02-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Good info on these forums. I'm a member of both. I'm hoping to buy an SCUT next year. Probably Kubota BX series.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

http://www.mytractorforum.com/

Those are great sites

Letsride, aside from the cost (which is important), I'm concerned about you being disappointed about that size tractor. I believe the 45 hp tractor is the optimal size which can handle just about anything you throw at it. What are the price points of this size tractor?

I believe you can't go wrong with the manhindra , Rush Limbaugh says so too

letsride
02-28-2017, 09:12 PM
Those are great sites

Letsride, aside from the cost (which is important), I'm concerned about you being disappointed about that size tractor. I believe the 45 hp tractor is the optimal size which can handle just about anything you throw at it. What are the price points of this size tractor?

I believe you can't go wrong with the manhindra , Rush Limbaugh says so too

I'm not sure what the 40 and up h.p. tractors are. But when you get to this size its a whole new ball of wax. Well for one its BIG. I would have to have a bigger trailer at least. And not so sure my half ton pick ups would like the idea of pulling all that tractor, bucket, implement and heavy trailer. I only have 6 acres of property to worry about, and possibly my Dads property as well. I can haul a compact tractor anywhere with the trucks and trailer I have. And lastly, I'm paying cash ( as I do with alot of stuff) Its taken this ole boy a good LOOOOOOOONG while to get the tractor fund up here. I'm almost there. I think a stack of Franklins will get me a discount on whichever I choose me thinks. :)

BlackBike
02-28-2017, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure what the 40 and up h.p. tractors are. But when you get to this size its a whole new ball of wax. Well for one its BIG. I would have to have a bigger trailer at least. And not so sure my half ton pick ups would like the idea of pulling all that tractor, bucket, implement and heavy trailer. I only have 6 acres of property to worry about, and possibly my Dads property as well. I can haul a compact tractor anywhere with the trucks and trailer I have. And lastly, I'm paying cash ( as I do with alot of stuff) Its taken this ole boy a good LOOOOOOOONG while to get the tractor fund up here. I'm almost there. I think a stack of Franklins will get me a discount on whichever I choose me thinks. :)

I guess specifically, I'm talking about something large enough to handle round bails. Of course I don't know your situation or needs, just something to think about . Smart with the cash!

Party on Garth :lol:

letsride
03-01-2017, 11:57 AM
I guess specifically, I'm talking about something large enough to handle round bails. Of course I don't know your situation or needs, just something to think about . Smart with the cash!

Party on Garth :lol:

Good Point. We are clearing the back 4 acres of our property and fencing it all in. SWMBO has decided she wants some BOER goats. So I guess you are right, I may have to lift a bail or two of hay. How much does a round bail weigh anyhow. Ain't they like 500lbs. The lift capacity of a JD2025R and 2032R is 1020lbs. But I guess that is alot of weight on the front of a tractor that only weighs 1660lbs. Hmm I'll have to look into the 40hp model and see what its all about. This tractor buying stuff is new to me. I mean I've driven a bunch of em, but they always belonged to someone else, and they decided that the equipment was big enough for what I was doing with it. :lol: The only other tractor I've owned was the old workmaster.
Party on Wayne :D

katoranger
03-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Depends on the size of round bale. 500-1200 lbs. You can always stick to small squares. I bought a round bale and just had the guy put it on my trailer so that I could roll it off.

Look at a 30hp tractor. 45 will likely be overkill for a 6 acre farm.

Sir kayakalot
03-01-2017, 09:08 PM
500lbs is a very small round bale, 1000lbs is gonna be more realistic. I just sold my 1959 Ford 841 PowerMaster. It was a 48 hp tractor and just a great all around machine for my 80 acres. In 2007 I bought a brand new New Holland TT50A 50 hp tractor. I love it and plan on keeping it for the rest of my days. It does everything I want it to. But if I was hauling it behind my truck very often or had a smaller property I would probably opt for a smaller tractor. It's remarkable how much work you can do with a 25-30hp 4wd tractor. Whatever you get... don't forget to post pics. I LOVE TRACTORS. Mahindra would be my 2nd choice behind New Holland

letsride
03-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Yeah I called a dealer today about the New Holland Boomer. It's cheaper than its LS counterpart. And LS makes the Boomer. :hmm: My neighbor has a little 1023E and that little dude has an attitude. It will do things I never thought it could.

Sir kayakalot
03-01-2017, 09:23 PM
The red one is the one I just sold and the blue one is the New Holland

letsride
03-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Nice!!

pete
03-02-2017, 03:23 AM
O.... when yer say tractor you realy mean tractor...
I thought by the heading the Chinamen were now
cloning Harley Diddlsons....

letsride
03-02-2017, 06:00 AM
O.... when yer say tractor you realy mean tractor...
I thought by the heading the Chinamen were now
cloning Harley Diddlsons....

:lmao: that's funny right there.

katoranger
03-02-2017, 07:43 AM
50hp is alot of tractor, but I can see it for 80 acres. I only have 4.5 acres, but was looking at the 30hp machines. I think they would be capable of a round bale. Tractor weight is important. I am also partial to blue machines and old red.

Typical round bales are about 1000 lbs. I have seen some small ones, but not common.

Are you looking at a hydro or gear drive?

2LZ
03-02-2017, 10:23 AM
This is the only one I need for my small plot of dirt and it has a cup holder! I borrow the neighbors "real tractor" if I need to scoop or lift something big like a boulder or big stump....plus he'll take any opportunity to show off his "tractor talents"....so it's all good!

BlackBike
03-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Letsride, does your Pop have a tractor. How much acreage does he have. By going large you may future proof your purchase for the both of you. And it has to have 4x4 and air conditioning too:D

katoranger
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Neighbor has a skid steer and large tractors with loaders. Also a dump truck.

The 8n serves most of my needs, but currently isn't running. It seems to be a cold start issue. Runs and starts fine after I get it started.

Sir kayakalot
03-02-2017, 06:16 PM
2LZ, Beautiful place you have there

BlackBike
03-02-2017, 10:02 PM

See 2lz, I told you so.

2LZ
03-02-2017, 10:18 PM

Thanks! We bought the place in foreclosure and it was empty and neglected for years. We've done a ton of work since this pic.

letsride
03-06-2017, 11:14 AM
50hp is alot of tractor, but I can see it for 80 acres. I only have 4.5 acres, but was looking at the 30hp machines. I think they would be capable of a round bale. Tractor weight is important. I am also partial to blue machines and old red.

Typical round bales are about 1000 lbs. I have seen some small ones, but not common.

Are you looking at a hydro or gear drive?
I am mainly looking at HST models. But a shuttle shift would
Not be out of the question. The LS (New Holland) beats them all in each class. If you go by published weight, PTO h.p. pump output. My Dad has 7 acres behind me, which his is a flag lot with a driveway about .4 mile. So I'll use it to maintain his driveway too.

BlackBike
03-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Letsride

I got the northern catalog. Sure you know.. 35xtc, 35hp,4wd, with cab ,and front end loader r4 hybrid tires $20,700. Weighs 5183lbs.

Did you buy a tractor yet?

Sir kayakalot
03-12-2017, 08:01 PM
I got my new Northern catalog too. I'm drooling over that bulldozer in there. But since I'm spending ALL of my sons inheritance remodeling my house right now, doesn't look like I'll be getting the dozer

BlackBike
03-12-2017, 08:40 PM
I got my new Northern catalog too. I'm drooling over that bulldozer in there. But since I'm spending ALL of my sons inheritance remodeling my house right now, doesn't look like I'll be getting the dozer

I laughed when I saw that too :lmao:

I gutted my cabin back in early 2000' back to bare walls and new 18inch tile throughout. Loved every minute of it but took awhile. Did it in thirds. I know what your going through. Your spending it but saving tons. What ever your final material cost is just double it and you will know how much it would have cost to have it contracted.

Enjoying your posts