PDA

View Full Version : Is this fixable?

turbofiat124
03-10-2017, 07:00 AM
Bravo 110cc ATV.

When I got this thing the bolt that holes the swing arm to the frame was broke and bent. I replaced it with a 1/2" all-thread which is close to 13 mm so it wasn't like the rod I used was too small diameter and it wobbled around. I guess this "bushing?" was cracked and weakened it and it broke on me.

I can't tell if this piece is part of the frame or swing arm or just a separate piece that has cracked. Shouldn't there be a polyurethane bushing inside in the frame? Or it this bushing just a piece of metal and that's what has cracked?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170309_141053656_zpsgcjzxv5y.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170309_141059247_zpsqp9xbov9.jpg

If the swing arm and frame butts up against each other, then what is actually broke? I'm assuming this is a metal bushing that has broke.

The main question is, how hard is this to fix? Do I have to replace the frame or swing arm or whatever this piece is (metal bushing?).

Could I extract this broken bushing and install a poly swing-arm bushing? Or modify a bushing from an end link to go in this hole?

Like I said, I can't really tell what's broken. I know that sound dumb but logic would say this should be a polyurethane bushing. This piece just looks like a solid metal bushing.

Thanks.

Huck369
03-10-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm not familiar with that model, but there "Should" be bearings in there, and the threaded rod wouldn't have the smooth surface in the contact patches....I say the best course is to disassemble and see what it looks like...

Bruce's
03-10-2017, 09:47 AM
There should be a sleeve or a bushing inside the tube ,the all thread likely destroyed it but bushings on these Chinese bikes are usually a sore spot to begin with .Take it apart ,using a long punch from the other side remove what's left of it ,then take some measurements and start searching .My next door neighbour runs a machine shop out of his garage ,perhaps you can find someone like him to take care of things ?Also ,ditch the all thread and go to a bolt supplier and buy a bolt for the pivot .

turbofiat124
03-10-2017, 01:13 PM
There should be a sleeve or a bushing inside the tube ,the all thread likely destroyed it but bushings on these Chinese bikes are usually a sore spot to begin with .Take it apart ,using a long punch from the other side remove what's left of it ,then take some measurements and start searching .My next door neighbour runs a machine shop out of his garage ,perhaps you can find someone like him to take care of things ?Also ,ditch the all thread and go to a bolt supplier and buy a bolt for the pivot .

I'm thinking the reason the bushing broke was because the original bolt broke and was bent and damaged it to begin with. I had to really hammer to drive the thing out with a punch.

The reason I used the all thread was finding a 13mm (or 1/2") bolt that length would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Tractor supply didn't have one in that length.

We have a Fastenal dealer but I'm usually disappointing when I got in there and they never seen to have what I need in stock and have to order it.

I'll check with them and see if they have anything in 1/2" in that length which would be easier to find. If not I guess I could use a piece of non threaded rod and use a die and make my own.

My idea to fabricate a bushing (if I can't find one to fit) was to use a poly end link bushing from a swaybar, run a bolt/nut through it and place it in my drill press and machine it down with a file (make shift lathe) if necessary. Maybe 1mm in diameter bigger. Stick it in a freezer to shrink it. Drill the center out for 1/2" for the bolt.

Found this item, this might be what I need. Will have to pull the old one out and measure it first. It's in Great Britain, surely I can find one here in the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Quad-Bike-Rear-SWING-ARM-BUSH-12mm-D-x-28mm-W-x-22mm-L-ATV-Bushe-110cc-125cc-/172522658393?hash=item282b26da59:g:pcIAAOSwFV9X1rj g&vxp=mtr

Emerikol
03-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Turbo, I'm not very familiar with ATV's, but I think you're on the right track. Take everything apart and see how it all 'should' fit back together. Then you can start looking at poly bushings to reassemble everything. One thing to watch out for that comes to mind is the clearance necessary for the shoulder of the bushing and the space required to put the swingarm back in place. Keep those pictures coming and we'll try to help you out a much as we can. Good luck!

turbofiat124
03-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Turbo, I'm not very familiar with ATV's, but I think you're on the right track. Take everything apart and see how it all 'should' fit back together. Then you can start looking at poly bushings to reassemble everything. One thing to watch out for that comes to mind is the clearance necessary for the shoulder of the bushing and the space required to put the swingarm back in place. Keep those pictures coming and we'll try to help you out a much as we can. Good luck!

It may be a few days before I can take a look at it but is there one or two sets of bushings?

Two in the swing arm and two in the frame?
Or just two that go in the frame?

Just so I know what I am up against.

I think the easiest way to get the sleeve out on the busted bushing maybe to take a small die grinder and grind a slot it then knock it using a punch. I might get lucky and be able to use a pipe or something to knock the other bushing out from the backside instead of having to tear it up.

I'll post some photos and what I come up with when I get a chance.

BlackBike
03-10-2017, 10:35 PM

Agreed with bruces sorry to say but I bet those threads just sliced there way thru that soft brass bushing . Definitely needed shoulder bolt there

Signed, captain obvious .:hi:

You will get it, just get in there and get er done!

david3921
03-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Turbo, is this what your swingarm looks like?http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/products_id/15693/tID/1/cPath/119_168
If so, it seems pretty cheap and might be the way to go. If not, that website seems where you might be able to find what you need.

turbofiat124
03-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Turbo, is this what your swingarm looks like?http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/products_id/15693/tID/1/cPath/119_168
If so, it seems pretty cheap and might be the way to go. If not, that website seems where you might be able to find what you need.

That link didn't seem to work but is this what your talking about:

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/products_id/15693

Looks like it but I'm more concerned about what's broken off inside the frame. It may just be a busted bushing or sleeve I'm looking at. Won't know until I dissemble it.

These end link bushings is what I was thinking about using if I had to, providing the OD is big enough to slide into the swing arm:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QeoAAOSw-0xYi2q6/s-l1600.jpg

Pop one set into the swing arms and one set into the frame and place a washer between the two bushings. Would that be a good idea if I had to resort to it?

david3921
03-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Yep, that's the one. The reason I asked was those swingarms are very inexpensive and come with the bushings installed. From your picture it looks like both the swingarm and frame are in need of repair. Buying a complete swingarm would solve half your battle. It looks like the frame uses the same type of bushings and may be available from the site.

I would say that, like you said, getting it all apart to see what has to repaired is the next step. Can you get a picture of the whole machine so we can see what it is? Even though it's called a Bravo, a picture help us see what else it's called. Maybe some of us have the same thing under another name.

turbofiat124
03-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Yep, that's the one. The reason I asked was those swingarms are very inexpensive and come with the bushings installed. From your picture it looks like both the swingarm and frame are in need of repair. Buying a complete swingarm would solve half your battle. It looks like the frame uses the same type of bushings and may be available from the site.

Yeah that might be the way to go. Especially if the swing arm itself is messed up. As far as the frame, what I might be seeing is just the chewed up rubber from the bushing.

Another thing. As mentioned the bolt was broken (and bent) when I got this thing. It broke on the same side the bushing is messed up.

I thought maybe using those polyurethane end link bushings might be stronger than using those rubber replacement bushings.

turbofiat124
03-13-2017, 07:46 PM
but there "Should" be bearings in there

You are correct sir!

I'll take some photos tomorrow but here is what I found.

That is not a torn up bushing but a busted bearing. I knocked the other one out to get the numbers off it : 6001-2 RS. I ordered two of them off Ebay for less than $5.00.

Here's the deal on the swing arm. There is a sleeve that goes between both bearings and a rubber O-ring inside the frame. It's bent/chewed up on one end as well.

The weird thing is the sleeve appeared to have been welded to the swing arm on the side that broke. And the sleeve slides through the bearing that was busted and butts up against the other bearing. Then a bolt goes through the bearing, sleeve and through the other bearing. There is also a groove in the sleeve which appears to be for a snap ring.

However I measured the ID of the sleeve at 13mm. The ID of the bearing is also 13mm so how can the sleeve go through the bearing because the ID of the sleeve is more like 13.3mm OD. That would be impossible!

So I don't know if the sleeve was actually welded to the swing arm or what but there is rough metal like something broke off the swing arm. Just can't tell exactly what it was.

But looks to me I can grind down any rough edges on the swing arm, use a washer to make up the difference, insert a 1/2" ID sleeve inside the frame between both bearings and it should be OK.

By the way. Unless the rubber is really hard, I can't tell there are any rubber bushings inside the swing arm on this ATV. There is a bronze or steel sleeve. Whatever they are made of, they don't look damaged or wallowed out.

Now to find a new sleeve and bolt and I should be good to go.

Darth Racer
03-13-2017, 09:18 PM
It looks like you might want to get a new chain too. Second pic from the top I see some deformed links on the lower side. Might be from the chain slap you had from the grooves on the frame tubes.

Not sure if that weakened the swing arm or the frame that started this issue. Can't really make heads or tails what I'm looking at in that pic.... it's too close up.

turbofiat124
03-14-2017, 08:18 AM
It looks like you might want to get a new chain too. Second pic from the top I see some deformed links on the lower side. Might be from the chain slap you had from the grooves on the frame tubes.

Not sure if that weakened the swing arm or the frame that started this issue. Can't really make heads or tails what I'm looking at in that pic.... it's too close up.

I didn't notice any chain damage but did notice where the chain had worn into the frame. I might need to weld it up a bit in case the hole it worn weakened the tube.

By the way. Is this tube spacer or whatever really necessary? The bearings are what supports the bolt. I can't see how the spacer/tube would be of any benefit at taking pressure off the bearings.

It's also going to be hard to get the distance between the bearings 100% correct if I cut one down to fit to go between the bearings.

turbofiat124
03-14-2017, 08:03 PM
OK here are some pics:

Bike torn apart. The reason I took the plastic cover off was to paint it but I'll save that for another thread.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170314_172057744_zpscxz91b7s.jpg

Boogered up sleeve, O-ring and what was left of the bearing:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170314_172007711_zpsgo9oqacs.jpg

Busted bearing removed:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170314_172012791_zpsqjju72zp.jpg

This side of the swingarm is OK:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170314_172031661_zpsbjjip6sx.jpg

Here is the side of the swing arm with the busted bearing:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170314_172045389_zpsxzouzm8h.jpg

OK, what do you guys make of this? How was this thing put together?

The sleeve appears to have been welded to the swing arm on the side where the bearing failed. But it could just be messed up from where the bearing failed. A die grinder should fix this.

I'm not "feeling" any rubber bushings in the swing arms. It appears to be bronze or steel sleeve pressed into metal into the swing arm.

There is a groove in the sleeve for what appears to be a snap ring but I couldn't find one unless it fell off and is still in the frame.

The all-thread did suffer some wear so I'm going to find either a 1/2 X 12" bolt or cut down a piece of non threaded rod and drill some holes for some cotter pins to hold it in place.

I really don't see what purpose this sleeve does. Or how it could take weight or pressure off the bearings. And I'm not sure if I can get a sleeve back in it's place between the two bearings anyway.

FLASHLIGHTBOY
03-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Your swingarm bushings are worn out someone put that style of bushing in there... but they screwed up with the ready rod.. they should use a grade 8 bolt... the threads chewed out the bustings... you can use that plastic that they make the puck board tuff from.... I forget the real name... or buy the bushing from many places online or ebay... many people put a REAL BEARING IN THERE... I DON.T KNOW IF you can access my post of the bushings I make up..... the real thing is get rid of the threaded rod... it wiil chew up your fix..

FLASHLIGHTBOY
03-16-2017, 12:55 PM
do a search at the top of the page to search my post for ...plastic bushing... you will see that I use this plastic rod stuff... very durable... will last ... just cut it to fit.... you can get different sizes... search in your area for a place that handles plastic rods and other material... they usually have pieces around so you don not have to buy a length.. about $10.00 a foot... But use a shoulder bolt for the fix.. use lock bolts.. keep it tight..

Bruce's
03-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Delrin is a good plastic for bushings .

turbofiat124
03-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Your swingarm bushings are worn out someone put that style of bushing in there... but they screwed up with the ready rod.. they should use a grade 8 bolt... the threads chewed out the bustings... you can use that plastic that they make the puck board tuff from.... I forget the real name... or buy the bushing from many places online or ebay... many people put a REAL BEARING IN THERE... I DON.T KNOW IF you can access my post of the bushings I make up..... the real thing is get rid of the threaded rod... it wiil chew up your fix..

Well the threaded rod was my doing. I couldn't find a 1/2" X 10" or 12" long bolt at Tractor Supply so I used the all-thread instead. I didn't think about it chewing up the bearing.

If Fastenal doesn't have this bolt, I'm going to use a piece of NON threaded rod and drill holes in it for cotter pins.

The bearings arrived today so hopefully this weekend, I'm going to put it back together and see what happens.

Darth Racer
03-16-2017, 08:11 PM
At least cover the thread rod with some PVC pipe. Might be hard to find a bolt with that much of a shoulder. The exact hardware would be best if you can find it.

david3921
03-16-2017, 10:23 PM
While looking for sprockets I found a few sites that might have the stuff you need or at least be able to see what they look like so you can get them locally.

Here's a swing arm bolt for a Taotao.

https://taotaopartsdirect.myshopify.com/collections/ata-110-d/products/ata110d-swing-arm-bolt

Another one;

https://www.eagleatvparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=93243

..and another

http://www.kazumausaonline.com/m12-axle-bolt-swing-arm-bolt-inches-p-14567.html

Axle nuts and spacers;

https://www.eagleatvparts.com/index.php?cPath=5&sort=2a&page=1

Bearings

https://www.eagleatvparts.com/index.php?cPath=25

Axles

https://www.eagleatvparts.com/index.php?cPath=9&sort=2a&page=3

The Eagle site also has body parts in case you are missing any.

(thanks again to Speckred17 for finding the Eagle site)

turbofiat124
03-17-2017, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the M12 bolt. I'm assuming Tao Tao made this ATV? That was another issue trying to figure out who made it while looking for parts.

I measured the diameter of the bolt that broke and couldn't tell if it was closer to 12mm or 13mm. Since the ID of the bearings are 13mm, a 12mm would go through the bearings easier than a 1/2" bolt which is closer to 13mm.

So I think I'll go that route instead.

Bruce's
03-17-2017, 08:28 AM
That is just going to lead to problems .The bolt should match the bearings and bushings properly ,or it is always just going to be pounding away on them ruining them in short order .

turbofiat124
03-18-2017, 09:58 AM
That is just going to lead to problems .The bolt should match the bearings and bushings properly ,or it is always just going to be pounding away on them ruining them in short order .

Well depending upon the accuracy of my digital caliper, the ID of the bearings is around 12.7mm so I'd find it hard for a true 13mm bolt to fit into them.

Of course there are always tolerances.

Unless maybe I stick it in a freezer to shrink the bolt and heat the bearings up a bit with a hair dryer. That's how we do stuff where I work at on equipment.

Darth Racer
03-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Chuck it in a drill and sand it down a little with some plumbers tape if it dont fit.

david3921
03-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the M12 bolt. I'm assuming Tao Tao made this ATV? That was another issue trying to figure out who made it while looking for parts.

I measured the diameter of the bolt that broke and couldn't tell if it was closer to 12mm or 13mm. Since the ID of the bearings are 13mm, a 12mm would go through the bearings easier than a 1/2" bolt which is closer to 13mm.

So I think I'll go that route instead.

The bolt I found that you ordered is for a Tao Tao ATA110D. The few pictures you've posted and the body pictures in your painting thread lead me to believe that's what you have only under another name. Look for a plate on the front of the frame. If it's there, it will have the model number, year, and other info. Post more pictures if the plate or other model information is missing.

turbofiat124
03-22-2017, 07:42 PM
The bolt I found that you ordered is for a Tao Tao ATA110D. The few pictures you've posted and the body pictures in your painting thread lead me to believe that's what you have only under another name. Look for a plate on the front of the frame. If it's there, it will have the model number, year, and other info. Post more pictures if the plate or other model information is missing.

OK here's some more photos with the body removed:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170321_150919495_zpsulqsen2h.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170321_150930332_zpszu531xe7.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170321_150935152_HDR_zpsxm133yrx.jpg

I got the bearings installed in the frame and got in the bolt installed. Now for some reason I noticed the chain is rubbing the frame. And when I installed it, the chain was tighter.

Looks as if the replacement shock could be longer but it's 300mm jacking the rear end up a bit, but it's the same length as the original one that broke.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170322_100002191_zpsmul6qhep.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170322_100007834_zpsyclw1oft.jpg

I did notice if I sit on the bike, the chain slackens so it maybe OK with someone riding it but I don't like the idea of the chain even touching the frame when bouncing around. How can I fix this? Tighten up the tension on the rear shock? Loosen the chain? Check the length of the replacement shock to see if it matches the one that broke?

Got a new rear light installed, fixed a few things, got the body repainted and partially installed.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/Mini%20110cc%20ATV/IMG_20170322_181341368_zpspkgpzdmb.jpg

By the way, I changed the oil and carefully added 500 ml and checked the level. I think after all was said and done I added 600 ml of 10W40 oil which is at the top of the dipstick mark. I read somewhere the correct level was 800 ml. So that sounds like quite a difference.

I read there were two bolts at the bottom of the crankcase and if you removed the wrong one a spring would pop out. So I removed the 17mm head bolt and just oiled drained out.

Also the right hand foot rest is blocking the dipstick and is very hard to remove. Who decided NOT to put an access hole in the foot rest, I don't know. So I'm going to cut one to access the dipstick.

Bruce's
03-22-2017, 08:22 PM
You can try mounting a piece of plastic on the swing arm to keep the chain from rubbing ,many bikes come with them ,I just am having a brain fart trying to remember what they would be called other than a chain guide .

turbofiat124
03-23-2017, 07:39 AM
You can try mounting a piece of plastic on the swing arm to keep the chain from rubbing ,many bikes come with them ,I just am having a brain fart trying to remember what they would be called other than a chain guide .

I did make a chain guide for my small pit bike. Mainly to keep the chain from flying off when I'd hit a bump. But I'm not sure how to make one for this ATV.

I found a piece of teflon abou 5" long and cut a notch out to make it into an L-shape so to speak and mounted it to a piece of metal and bolted it to the where one of the flares was bolted to the chain guard.

You can barely see it in this video at 14 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjlW_uFjbQ

Bruce's
03-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Google motorcycle chain slide ,there are different styles it should be fairly easy to figure out one that works for you .

Mudflap
03-23-2017, 10:00 AM
I've made my own chain sliders out of pieces of automotive serpentine belts. Very tough and last a long time.

turbofiat124
03-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Problem found!

I slackened the chain a bit so when there is weight on it, the chain no longer rubs the frame or swing arm.

Next time I get my welder out, I'm going to weld a bit on where the chain had rubbed into the frame.