PDA

View Full Version : Good read about the Zongshen Sierra and Qingqi 200's

culcune
11-17-2007, 01:38 AM
I found this thread on advrider.com It was started by a guy nicknamed 'beemer boy.' I think he is an American guy/motorcyclist living in Thailand, who decided to tour China.

Apparently, it is very difficult to import and ride your own bike, so the best thing to do, if you plan to visit and ride in China, is to buy a Chinese bike. Beemer Boy bought a Zongshen Sierra 200, and brought it in from Cambodia? (don't quote me exactly which country, but read it yourself!).

There are people chiming in, including some of us here, including a veteran Chinariders.net member and US expatriate, 'Crazy Carl' who was recently the cover subject for the Aerostich catalog posing with his jialing 150 somewhere in the high elevations of China.

Back to the thread--Beemer Boy had mechanical bad luck with his used Zongshen, and finally someone pulls a fast one and buys it from under him as if it was broken down for good, at a very low price (he didn't pay alot for it in the beginning), and ends up buying a brand new Qingqi 200 enduro.

I hate to ruin the "plot" so read it yourself--

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222736

On the same note, I emailed 'Crazy Carl' from his website, and he sometimes lurks this very site!

www.carlparker.com Highly recommended to visit his site, too. He produced a video of a Chinese ride he took, which ended up nearly killing him. He has that video and his new, unreleased video, both listed on his site. He even has a trailer for the new one, in which he goes back and does the ride that almost killed him again, a year later. I look forward to the release of the new one, having watched the trailer.

Another recommended site for Chinabike owners/enthusiasts is www.danielmontejo.com I had posted links to his site a few times. He took a 6000 km tour with a buddy on a pair of Zongshen Sierra 200s. He has a very cool video of an example of urban riding in China, but he has made a new site, so you have to go through his "old" site to find the video, and his daily riding blog, from his 30 day trip.

Here's the video page--this is where the video of riding in China is, and video from his 6000 km trip. There is a good video of he and some friends riding Chang Jiang 700cc side car motorcycles, I think entitled riding to the Great Wall, or something like that.
http://www.danielmontejo.com/videos.htm

Enjoy

Boog
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Great read. I would suggest that every person with a chinese bike read this story. What an "Incredible Journey" thru China, Loas, Cambodia and Tibet. I wish I truely had the time and Cocanuts to do what Beemer Boys is doing. 8O