PDA

View Full Version : I'm intrigued by the popularity of and used for the Vader 125

Dual_sport17
04-17-2017, 01:29 PM
I walked into my local Kawasaki dealership recently and saw their version of the Vader 125. I actually assumed it was a kids bike, similar to a small dirt bike. When I asked about it, the salesman assured me that it's an adult bike.

Then, I came across this forum and I see that the Vader 125 (and bikes like the Honda Grom) are actually popular bikes. What am I missing?

It seems like an awfully small and underpowered (125cc) motorcycle. I've never rode one before, but please explain the uses of and popularity of this type of bike. It doesn't seem like something one could drive to work...

MOTOXtreme
04-17-2017, 01:53 PM
I walked into my local Kawasaki dealership recently and saw their version of the Vader 125. I actually assumed it was a kids bike, similar to a small dirt bike. When I asked about it, the salesman assured me that it's an adult bike.

Then, I came across this forum and I see that the Vader 125 (and bikes like the Honda Grom) are actually popular bikes. What am I missing?

It seems like an awfully small and underpowered (125cc) motorcycle. I've never rode one before, but please explain the uses of and popularity of this type of bike. It doesn't seem like something one could drive to work...

"What am I missing?"....

At first I thought it was a fad that would go away. But I dont really think that anymore. I actually "get it". What it is to each rider may be different though. Some would like to do wheelies and cut loose on a small frame bike they can toss around. Others seem to just want to cruise through the city and take it easy.

I think we have way to many 55mph roads where folks are going 65 for this to be effective in my area.

PhildoScaggins
04-17-2017, 02:00 PM
They're a glorified scooter that you can shift. Have you ridden a scooter?! They're fun as hell.

prismways
04-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I would agree. I recently sold my Genuine Roughhouse scooter to get a Vader. It has faster acceleration and top end speed but still is small enough to park pretty much anywhere. Also, it's not fast enough to go on the highway and will keep me out of trouble. I like that I can keep up with traffic and pass if necessary. I always felt at a disadvantage when I was riding my scooter.

sshevie
04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
I agree with the posts above but don't forget the appeal of a motorcycle you can regularly use 100% of its ability vs something like a 600cc crotch rocket that you rarely if ever get to use it to its potential.

ben2go
04-17-2017, 08:07 PM
It's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow.

BlackBike
04-17-2017, 09:32 PM
:hmm: I'll take you guys word for it . :shrug:

culcune
04-17-2017, 10:43 PM
When the Grom was introduced a few years back, it was extremely popular, then appeared to wane in popularity. However, Kawasaki came out with theirs, and then China introduced a whole slew of clone-ish minis, and now they seem to be everywhere!

They are really built to be fun bikes, but can serve as serious commuting assuming one is commuting on one like an equivalent scooter. My TGB hits 60 to 65 and serves me well on the 50 mph two-lane county road that is the last (or first if I am going home, LOL) 6 or 7 miles stretch of road that takes me into (or home from) my daily commute. Not sure if any of these bikes would be able to hit and maintain 60. Then there is my large box that holds a ton o' stuff that pretty much NO bike has, so I would have limited use for a mini as a commuter. But I could see the appeal if my riding was urban commuting and I didn't have so much to carry (lunch, drinks, civilian duty belt, zip up portfolio)--like what a scooter is meant for.

I did see another side to these a few months back on American Lifan's site, but they took the press release article away--racing. I could envision a series for mini racing, or even a one make racing league of sorts. I mean, Vaders are dirt cheap (relatively) and would make a low-buck racer to compete with other Vaders. SSR, Ice Bear, Motrac, Honda, and Kawasaki could have their own leagues or a mini-racing league competing against other brands for bragging rights. These bikes are low cost so I definitely could see the appeal.

timcosby
04-18-2017, 01:07 AM
yea hook two or more together!:yay:

Ski_rush
04-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Why not just get a used 250 ninja or cbr?

sshevie
04-18-2017, 07:10 PM
If you have to ask why you just won't get it. These grom and grom clones are just on a mother lvl of fun that is hard to explain. What most folks don't get is how tiny these are they are the ultimate urban hooligan bike.

wheelbender6
04-18-2017, 08:01 PM
The Groms, Vaders and the likes make you feel you are going far faster than you actually are. Kind of like the old English sports cars.

ben2go
04-18-2017, 08:24 PM
If you have to ask why you just won't get it. These grom and grom clones are just on a mother lvl of fun that is hard to explain. What most folks don't get is how tiny these are they are the ultimate urban hooligan bike.

I've ridden a Grom. I have eight bikes in various states of build, plus I want to move and build a new house, so I'm out on the Grom and clones.