PDA

View Full Version : Steering components question

turbofiat124
05-29-2017, 09:55 PM
I tried to take a video of this while holding my cellphone in one hand and wiggling the wheel in the other but it did not turn out that great.

I now know why the front end of my Peace 110 ATV acts squirrelly on pavement at high speeds up my driveway. I guess because I was more concerned about the rear end parts I have not paid any attention to the steering until now.

I first noticed that this thing appeared to have way too much negative camber (top of wheels pointing outward). But then realized there is allot of play in both front wheels.

I cannot tell that anything is really worn out , just some things seem a bit loose. I'm trying to determine what needs to be tight and what needs some play to pivot.

Take a look at these photos. These are some what out of order. I apologize. There is a block on Photobucket here at work so I had to attach them.

In the 1st and 3rd photos, there is a green arrow pointing toward the holes in the bottom control arm bracket (or whatever you want to call it). The hole looks just a wee bit oblong. But nothing else does. The top bracket hole, the bolt, rubber bushings and sleeve look OK.

In the middle photo, there is a red arrow pointing toward the sleeve/bolt. Both of these bolts/sleeves has allot of play in it and that seems to be allowing the top of the wheels to move in and out causing the camber issues.

Now look at the middle photo with the green arrows. On the right hand side, the lower bracket seems pretty tight but the other three want to pivot up and down. Are they support to pivot? Or should they be tight?

If I was guessing, the brackets with the green arrows (middle photo) need to be somewhat loose so they will pivot as the spring/shock compresses but the longer bolt/sleeve that connects the two together needs to be tight. Is this correct?

One sure way to fix these oblong holes is buy some of those bronze bushings from Lowe's Hardware and drill them out for a larger hole and insert the bushing and reuse the bolts.

Does any of this make any sense? Please advise.

Weldangrind
05-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Your quad uses a kingpin-style spindle, instead of ball joints. For starters, bolt everything together as it was and place the front of the frame on a jack stand. Point the wheels straight ahead and then grab one wheel by the top and bottom. Wiggle the wheel; does it have excessive play? What about the other wheel?

Now grab a wheel by the back and front and repeat the wiggling process. Does it have excessive play on that plane? What about the other wheel?

When you detect play either vertically or horizontally, look at the tie rods (both inner and outer) and the kingpins; you should be able to see what's loose. Let us know what you find.

turbofiat124
05-31-2017, 07:57 AM
Your quad uses a kingpin-style spindle, instead of ball joints. For starters, bolt everything together as it was and place the front of the frame on a jack stand. Point the wheels straight ahead and then grab one wheel by the top and bottom. Wiggle the wheel; does it have excessive play? What about the other wheel?

Now grab a wheel by the back and front and repeat the wiggling process. Does it have excessive play on that plane? What about the other wheel?

When you detect play either vertically or horizontally, look at the tie rods (both inner and outer) and the kingpins; you should be able to see what's loose. Let us know what you find.

I'll try shoot a video of the wheel movement and the parts behind it so you can see what is moving.

But the short of it, the whole wheel (both) moves in every direction. As if it's about the fall off.

The tie rod ends are good, I know that.

My main concern if the piece with the red arrow. This seems to be where the majority of the play is coming from. I would guess this bolt needs to be "tight" but not too tight to where the wheels couldn't change directions.

And the hole in the lower bracket seems to be oblong just a bit.

turbofiat124
05-31-2017, 07:18 PM
I shot a video but later decided to tighten the whizz out of the bolt that connects both control arms together and allows the steering to turn. It seems to have taken all of the play out of the front end. For the meantime anyway..

Weldangrind
06-01-2017, 01:06 AM
What does the kingpin bolt tighten into? Is it a castle nut?

turbofiat124
06-02-2017, 12:05 PM
What does the kingpin bolt tighten into? Is it a castle nut?

Just a nut.

The components consist of a bolt that runs through a metal sleeve with a rubber bushing insert with a two end caps, a concave washer, lock washer and a nut.

I noticed that the left hand side as worked loose a bit.

Those split washers are not worth a whiz. When it comes to fasteners that won't stay tight (like nuts/bolts on turbo systems), I've had good luck with these Nord Lock washers.

https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5RUW2_AS01?$mdmain$

Weldangrind
06-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Those washers look like a good solution. That said, I'd prefer to drill a hole in the bolt and use a castle nut and cotter pin.