PDA

View Full Version : Help with hard starting/idling on a new GY200-5

MutantsForNukes
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm having some trouble starting and keeping it at idle until it gets very warmed up. The last time was last night, I'm in the Phoenix area, around 1100 feet elevation, air temp between 60 and 70, not much humidity, and the last time it ran was about a week and a half ago.

First of all, it doesn't seem like the choke does much of anything, no matter what position it's in. I looked down at the carb before starting, and the choke cable is moving that black "rocker switch", but It doesn't seem like it's enriching when it's on.

To start and keep it running, I have to give it gas and rev it between 2k and 3k to keep it going, or else it dies. I need to keep doing this for a few minutes at least. Eventually once it warms up it will idle ok on it's own, as long as the idle is above 1700 or so.

I've seen the fuel needle adjustment on this site and have done a similar adjustment on my kawasaki's carb (Keihn CVK 34), but on my kawi's carb, there is a separate pilot jet that feeds the carb during idle, and the fuel needle doesn't come into play when it's idling. Is the GY200-5 carb different, and the main jet is also used for idling?

I guess I'm asking whether I should go ahead and do the fuel needle clip adjustment first, or start with other things like figuring out the choke, idle speed, air/fuel mixture, etc.

Thanks.

culcune
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Before you dig into your bike, keep in mind that these bikes seem to not like being cold, and it seems like you need to rev to warm them up for several minutes. However, if anyone has overcome this tendency, please let us all know!

red2003
12-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I've seen the fuel needle adjustment on this site and have done a similar adjustment on my kawasaki's carb (Keihn CVK 34), but on my kawi's carb, there is a separate pilot jet that feeds the carb during idle, and the fuel needle doesn't come into play when it's idling. Is the GY200-5 carb different, and the main jet is also used for idling?

The Keihin carb is the same setup as the Chinabike carbs. In fact our pz27's are a near exact copy of a Keihin. At 60 - 70 degrees, you shouldn't even need to choke it once you raise the needle. On ALL carbs, raising the needle richens the fuel mixture from idle to 3/4 throttle. For your temp, I'd raise the needle (drop the clip) one notch and while you got the carb off, turn the fuel screw (bottom front of carb) to two turns out from fully closed. You'll be amazed at the "cold" performance afterwards. I've started my Roketa at below freezing many times and it fires and idles on it's own immediately. BTW, after about 500 miles these motors really wake up and run MUCH better.

fatboy250
12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
BTW, after about 500 miles these motors really wake up and run MUCH better.

Yes Red is correct, both the OHC and Pushrod versions. I have both.

Jason

Q
12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Also make sure that the wiring harness isn't interfering with choke operation on the left side of the carb.

Q

Matthew04833
12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Mine did that when I first got but after I got it broken in it starts up pretty quick even in chilly weather.

katoranger
12-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I am above the same elevation and I have my needle set to the second notch from the pointed end.

Allen

MutantsForNukes
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Cool, thanks for all the replies. Sounds like a combination of some needle/mixture adjustment and mileage. Keep them them coming if you have more suggestions!