PDA

View Full Version : Which way to adjust steering?

turbofiat124
06-11-2017, 09:58 AM
So yesterday I did some work to my daughter ATV.

Re-aligned the rear axle.

I installed some thicker flat washers, Nord-Lock lock washers under the nuts and applied Locktite to the threads on the bolts that go between the control arms. Hoping this will prevent them from working loose and the front end getting wobbly.

I thought I'd adjust the toe-in. One wheel was pointed outward and one is pointed straight.

I wasn't sure which way to go so I adjusted the front wheels without any toe in/out. That seemed to make the steering worse!

So I tried a little bit of toe-in. Once again that didn't seem to work.

Right now I'm not really sure which way I have the front wheels pointed but I do know whatever I did, the steering feels much better than before I started messing with it.

Seems the best way to get both wheels "synchronized" is maybe to measure the threads between the links and the tie-rod ends.

Weldangrind
06-11-2017, 02:46 PM
I normally shoot for just a hair of toe-in. To synch, I set the bars straight and then place a long straight edge on the outside of the tire. I adjust the tie rod until the wheel is straight and then repeat on the other wheel. Once I confirm that the bars and wheels are all pointing straight ahead, I then adjust the tie rods so that there is just a little toe-in, like perhaps 1/8". Then I lock them down with the jam nuts.