PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Hot Stall Issue

wret
06-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've started riding quite a bit more on my China powered Indian. I spent a week's vacation this past winter building a leaf spring fork and have made a few other upgrades. I'll credit myself with being a creative fabricator but a novice small engine mechanic.

A couple of weeks ago a made a 30 mile trip to work. At about 20 miles, while coasting to a stop light, it stalled and did not easily start. I put on the choke and a lot of throttle and got it started again, although pretty rough. I tried to keep the revs up to prevent another stall but at another light a couple miles later it quit again and would not fire choke or no choke. I fretted and let it cool a few minutes and tried it again and it fired right up.

Last night after an easy ride of only a few minutes downtown, again while coasting to a light, it quit. Again with choke a got it to fire but couldn't keep it running. It died and wouldn't restart. I walked a mile home, hooked up the trailer and went to pick it up. Got entertained by a passerby drooling over it, who guessed pretty closely that it was a 1916 ;)

Back home I kicked over and it fired immediately. I pulled the plug and the color looks great but I will pick up some spares on tonight.

Any clues what my be causing these hot stalls? I'll be riding in a parade next week and need to make sure its reliable. It would be embarrassing to have to push it past 30,000 people.

Here's a new pic for ya

Azhule
06-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Can't tell from the pic but do you have a fuel filter on the bike?

First few things I would check is:

1) the carburetor bowl and jets for any kind of dirt or debris, I would spend a few minutes while it was apart and clean everything out with carb cleaner/amsoil power foam/b'laster lmt and shop air... make sure you remove any gaskets before you spray cleaners... some of those are known to dry and crack or super swell gaskets and make them no good to use

2) Check valve clearance is within spec

wret
06-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Thanks Azhule. I'll clean out the carb and see if that helps. I have a sediment bowl but not an actual inline filter.

BlackBike
06-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Az right with the filter treatment and valves. Just a few grains is all it takes. The carb looks newish? Is the tank thoroughly refurbished and clean inside? Its a beauty.

What is an original engine going for $ these days on something like that?

wret
07-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Az right with the filter treatment and valves. Just a few grains is all it takes. The carb looks newish? Is the tank thoroughly refurbished and clean inside? Its a beauty.

What is an original engine going for $ these days on something like that?

An original Zongshen 150? About $600. Original 1914 Indian? Probably about $20,000. I'd need to be a lot better mechanic to keep that running though.

I had a nice long weekend to tinker. I replaced the plug and coil and made a heat shield for the coil. I emptied the tank, removed and inspected the petcock screen. It didn't look too bad. I replaced the Mikuni carb with the slightly smaller one that came with the motor.

After all this she fired right up and ran smoother than ever. Idle is much slower and smooth. No problem keeping her running for the 2-hour parade. Tons of fun!

BlackBike
07-06-2017, 11:40 AM
That parade duty is probably the toughest test you could have made on it. (With 2up too)

Looks like you and the parade goers all had a fun time for independence day :clap: