PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried linking the brake system?

Skin Mechanic
06-29-2017, 12:43 PM
The little monster's rear master cylinder is a joke. I pressure bled the system and the braking is still almost non-existent. I have a 16mm front master cylinder sourced from an old Ducati 916 that should be big enough for both the front and rear calipers. The only thing I need is an adjustable proportioning valve and a coupla banjo fittings. I'm thinking a 70/30 front/rear bias would give me better braking without having to worry about fishtailing if I lock the brakes up.

prismways
06-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Interesting, I haven't actually tested the quality of the rear brake on it's own. Are you saying you're not able to slow down or stop at all?

I've never replaced a whole brake system so interested to see how you would do it.

The little monster's rear master cylinder is a joke. I pressure bled the system and the braking is still almost non-existent. I have a 16mm front master cylinder sourced from an old Ducati 916 that should be big enough for both the front and rear calipers. The only thing I need is an adjustable proportioning valve and a coupla banjo fittings. I'm thinking a 70/30 front/rear bias would give me better braking without having to worry about fishtailing if I lock the brakes up.

Skin Mechanic
06-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Interesting, I haven't actually tested the quality of the rear brake on it's own. Are you saying you're not able to slow down or stop at all?

I've never replaced a whole brake system so interested to see how you would do it.

If I had to panic brake using the rear brake I would probably jump off the bike to avoid impact :lol: It should be a straight forward mod; The master cylinder is fitted with 2 brake lines. One brake line goes straight to the front caliper, the other goes into the proportioning valve with a third line connecting it to the rear caliper.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63022/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710611985&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=39714413703&CATCI=pla-293995373017&CATARGETID=230006180039220954&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwytLKBRCXARIsAPchlXrRYkF-hm-kmtIwaHCYSTcoAv3kIcELXTPUEH7UJTp0hoyKHryljYQaAoUaE ALw_wcB

bogieboy
06-30-2017, 06:37 AM
Have you tried just replacing the master? I had a run of bad master cylinders on the front brake of my bike, took 3 to get it working right... also be sure to use fresh dot fluid... other fluids can eat the seals right out of them (found that out the hard way with an accidental top off with power steering fluid... dang bottles look too similar...LOL)

Huck369
06-30-2017, 07:29 AM
By linking the brakes, you run the risk of total brake loss in the event of failure.
I've had a couple Guzzi with linked brakes, but they always had a separate system that worked one of the front rotors.

I'd advise against it.
But, yes, I would try to get the rear brakes working better.....

Skin Mechanic
06-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Brake failure isn't an option when your riding style is beyond aggressive :D I used what was left of a fresh bottle of DOT 4 in the rear master, after installing a shorter SS brake line on the front. Hmmmmmmm, I could try retrofitting the rear master cylinder from my California parts bike and use one of the shorter tie rods from the Cali's shift linkage to attach the brake pedal to the master.

https://www.harpermoto.com/images/pl/2000/california%20special%20sport%201100%202001-2002/images/frame-rear-master-cylinder.jpg

Rangerscott
06-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Look up the braking diagram of the '98-'01 and '02-'09 honda vfr