PDA

View Full Version : Two Days, Two-Up trip in SWChina & QingQi 200GY impressi

CrazyCarl
01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Its been a little while since behind the lens and bars so finally decided to make some time for a short trip with my new ride. I recently acquired a QingQi QM200GY here in China and finally had a brief chance to see how this puppy performs when loaded 2up through various mountain terrains. I hope to shortly better illustrate the article in time.

In the US, the bike discussed in this post is sold in supermotard version as the Qlink XF200 - in China the QM200GY(A). If you do not receive the 21” alloy wheel dirt version (v.B) of this bike in the US or Canada I would definitely write some importers and try to get a few as they are available in Europe.

Having come from the Jialing JH-150GY2 I can immediately say the shift from one bike to the next is favorable. With about 10,000 miles of adventure riding saddle time on a fully loaded 150 with camera gear, I've been itching for something with a little more get up and go in the mountains for passing at elevation and a usable top speed of over 60km/h. I am happy to say, it feels like the day has arrived.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-04.jpg

My wife and I took the QingQi QM200GY through its paces on various road conditions from newly sealed highway, to road works and dirt trails. Here, I'll very briefly offer a few quick thoughts and first impressions of the QM200GY as a potential adventure travel and touring machine - then finally, a few pictures and comments on the place we visited for those also interested in other aspects of the experience.

If you're interested in long-distance moto-travel but never made the time for it, you could give yourself a kick start by getting your equipment together and packed then go for an overnight ride fully loaded. Riding a bike naked and loaded are two different experiences altogether - for both man and machine. Not only is the riding technique and attitude different but the extra weight will stress the bike's braking, acceleration and suspension - all of which are important for safe, fun and enjoyable riding.

In the braking dept, the bike is helped along by a front disk rear drum set-up which is more than competent. Upfront, a stock braided stainless steel line runs from the master brake cylinder, loops over the gauges then back down the left fork to the caliper below. While this front brake set-up looks fancy and probably does save from bending the line, it also obscures the already small instrument panel dials which house both a speedo and much appreciated tachometer.

The lever feel and response is firm and braking modulation becomes easier as the pads seat into the new wave-style rotors which, after only about 1000kms, show no signs of warping and provide strong positive braking. The grips are a bit small though and will need to be changed if you've got big hands. The standard drum style back stopper will lock the rear wheel with ease but lacks the response and feedback of a properly designed disc system.

I found out the hard way in 2003 how important good suspension is in making your ride enjoyable and safe. Shocks that are too soft and constantly bottom out are not only hard on your ass but also everything on your bike including the frame. The two of us traveled on the 200GY with completely stock settings both front and rear. For two people a slight adjustment of the spring pre-load on the rear mono-shock would have inspired more confidence on uneven surfaces. Up front, I usually recommend heavier or more aggressive riders stick a few washers/spacers underneath the fork-cap to stiffen up the front springs/legs a bit. As a solo rider of 180-190lbs and 6'1" the suspension is quite comfortable "out of the box" and well suited to short distance commuting or bumming around on trails.

Although the exhaust note is uninspiring, on trails the QM200GY is a blast thanks to the help of the very smooth Suzuki DR200 powerplant and frame at the bike's heart. The Jialing JH150GY2 motor was harsh and buzzy by comparison keeping in mind that a smaller 150 has to be worked much harder. This clean little DR200 engine produces it's peak power at 7000rpm and pulls strong all the way from 2.5-3k. Shifting through the gears to 5th, you're going about 83kph indicated (~80kph/GPS) at a nice 6k/rpm. I'm sure the bike could be pushed to over 100kph (~64mph) at the top of it's 8000+red line but, since the bike is still breaking in I'll save that for a later experience.

If 80kph isn't fast enough for you then the bikes 520chain/sprockets will probably allow a host of ratio options to raise the top speed for pavement riders looking to capitalize on the power at the bottom end of the engine. Coming from a 150cc, on dirt trails the low end of the DR200 engine nicely gets you over and through obstacles as well as up steep hills. The power of the engine is aided by another wonderful feature of the 200GY, it’s low weight. At only 121kg (~290Lbs) the 11.5kw (15hp) boasts and almost 30% increase in power over the standard Chinese 150 engines and with a few kgs less dry weight to boot thanks to it’s minimal plastics and frame.

Aesthetically, despite the effort made to make the QM200GY a modern sporty looking bike, the simple plastics (a curse and a blessing at the same time) which photograph well become apparently thinner in the flesh. Although the US version should be different, the saddle is stiff and narrow at the front with a hard edge off both sides which puts a good amount of irritating pressure on the pelvis bones and can, after a few hours, make certain treasured places fall asleep. The stylish front fender with fancy wing tips at the nose are too short and in rain not only spray water back and up into your face but a constant stream collects at the very tips of the small wings and trails straight to your pants at speed. I will definitely be trying to either modify or replace the fender before doing any extended riding. These niggles are annoying, but aren’t enough to detract from the overall impression of the bike. Even though the plastics are quite sparse from the back tiny-tail light (clean it often) the ample 10.6ltr (2.8gal) metal tank will happily putter two people over 300kms of “spirited” riding before needing to be topped up again.

The power to pass trucks and busses on inclines marks the move from 150 to 200cc and is not only more fun but safer as well. By the end of the quick 500km two day jaunt, the Mrs and I were both pleased at the upgrade from the 150 Jialing who, 20,000kms later, still remains a reliable performer through a strict regiment of maintenance.

While many more kms will be put on this QingQi in the next year over a wide range of terrains and altitudes, I think we may have found a solid economical adventure performer as well as a zippy, easy to handle and fun commuter coming out of China. As excited as I am about the new bike’s potential I still remain a hair skeptical. So far, it’s all the fun of a DR200 for half the cost and more stylish package. Is there a catch? Time will tell.

----------------------------

The destination is ShangMeng, a small Tibetan village in the mountains of SW China boasting eco-tourism and other guided outdoors activities. I had been to this place three years before and it goes without saying that many thing have changed in the tide of tourism.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/CDUShangMengSt.jpg

Although some of these changes may be undesirable for those who appreciate some quiet and solitude, some benefits can be found. The roads in the remote mountain valleys of Sichuan, comprised of the very eastern extent of the Tibetan Plateau, are becoming better designed, paved and marked - making independent travel though these parts slightly easier.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-20.jpg

Three years ago the road into the village shown here was mostly dirt and gravel. Now with the road, tourism brings an upswelling of youth hostils and small guest houses, many of which are converted homes.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-16.jpg

The search for accommodation led us to a small guest house which frequently hosts one of the many outdoor hiking and camping excursions now based in the village. Places to stay are relatively easy to spot in Tibetan regions as they often hang colorful flags from and across their roof s.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-09.jpg

Going out for a walk we quickly made friends with a local of the four legged kind who showed us around the river for a while.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-21.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-10.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-08.jpg

Further down river, a local elder - still hard at work - carries a bunch of sticks across an old cable suspension wooden plank bridge which bounces and sway like walking on a balloon.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-18.jpg

Her ultimate destination is to place her large bunch of sticks which are individually bound by, smaller sticks, in to a larger pile of stick-bunches. These will later be sold as kindling for firewood or craft making.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-14.jpg

Firewood is-a-plenty here and it was nice to walk down a pollution free street with the smell of fresh cut pine in the air.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-12.jpg

Just like anywhere else, dudes cut wood to sell as firewood which, at 3000m/asl could be needed year round.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-11.jpg

Being winter, the nights in these mountains regularly drops below freezing usually causing light morning flurries with clear mid-days. Back at the guest house some local ladies in their bright and colorful head dresses had started their own fire to talk and work on stitching a new pair of shoes.

http://photos.imageevent.com/comradecarl/moto/shangmeng07/websize/ShangMeng12-07-06.jpg

In the easy-ness of these small places it's nice to enjoy the quietness and new surroundings. Unfortunately at midnight a couple vans pulled in with local tourists in all new outdoor gear ready to tackle the wilds. They talked and shouted loudly until 3am right outside our window where the bike was parked. Not used to sleeping in the cold at high altitude, with no heat and thin windows the room gets cold at night in the mountains. Staying warm was already hard enough, good sleep would be a luxury.

Whelp, Happy New years and ride em' if you got em' folks! Soon this will all disappear! ;)

CC

warrior91
01-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Very nice read Carl. Thanks for the tour.
I would love to ride Asia.

CrazyCarl
01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Probably the most expensive thing about riding in Asia is the airplane ticket. The rest is inexpensive and highly rewarding. That said, there are plenty of great places in North America and Mexico to ride and explore. Death Valley is now high on my list of places to ride.

Do you do any moto-touring in NA?

CC

Jim
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Very cool Carl, thanks for the report :)

liverchip
01-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Great report Carl! Let me know if you're ever riding the Mojave Desert area!

CrazyCarl
01-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Great report Carl! Let me know if you're ever riding the Mojave Desert area!

Dude! Would love to. We can eat sand! :D

Let me know if you are in the Taklamakan Desert area! We can hire some camels and go dig around 3000 year old ancient cities! 8O

CC

liverchip
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
LOL....did more than enough sand/rock eating this weekend during our 'epic' adventure!

Q
01-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Great write up Carl. I'd give my left nut for the chance to explore China by bike.

I just got back from 10 days of riding around on the 4X4 trails in Death Valley. The Lifan 200 performed flawlessly during the approximately 1000 miles of riding. Will be going back in late March.

Q (Oregon)

AZ200cc
01-02-2008, 03:40 PM
You live the life man, Looks like a hell of a place to visit.

CrazyCarl
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Great write up Carl. I'd give my left nut for the chance to explore China by bike.

I just got back from 10 days of riding around on the 4X4 trails in Death Valley. The Lifan 200 performed flawlessly during the approximately 1000 miles of riding. Will be going back in late March.

Q (Oregon)

Oh sweet! Yeah a good 200 should be able to perform alright as long as the load isn't too great. You bring tent and such?

CC

CrazyCarl
01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
LOL....did more than enough sand/rock eating this weekend during our 'epic' adventure!

Sound like a good time. Got pics?

CC

CrazyCarl
01-02-2008, 09:26 PM

While it is a helluva place to visit, this kind of life got problems all it's own. Just like anyone anywhere else. My film gives more info about what its like to live and ride here and there ain't no free cheese.

Like I said, NA still has some very interesting places to see and we can all do some exploring on our home soil. It just takes one place.

CC

AZ200cc
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM

While it is a helluva place to visit, this kind of life got problems all it's own. Just like anyone anywhere else. My film gives more info about what its like to live and ride here and there ain't no free cheese.

Like I said, NA still has some very interesting places to see and we can all do some exploring on our home soil. It just takes one place.

CC

I can imagine that it's no walk in the park to live there, Probably make people appreciate the life in the US more. But it still seems like there are lessons that could be learned from a simpler life. I would love to visit and check it out.

liverchip
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Just awaiting the photos from C333's camera.

CrazyCarl
01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
....But it still seems like there are lessons that could be learned from a simpler life. I would love to visit and check it out.

Truer words were never spoken!

CC

warrior91
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Probably the most expensive thing about riding in Asia is the airplane ticket. The rest is inexpensive and highly rewarding. That said, there are plenty of great places in North America and Mexico to ride and explore. Death Valley is now high on my list of places to ride.

Do you do any moto-touring in NA?

CC

Not so much "road touring" ,YET , but rode over 5000 km on an Arctic Cat Cougar Snow Machine in '93...Saw most of the bush/ lakes/mountains between NW Manitoba, Northern Saskatchewan, western Alberta...only a few photos survive because the cameras kept grenading in the cold. Haha...I'll try to find some to post as there is some good stuff..

On another note a regular group take a last quad ride over northern Saskatchewan each fall... You won't believe the views... An 1800 ' rise lets you see 50 (miles or better) away across lakes , boreal forest, valleys and bears. Round trip is prob. only 600 km but takes 4-5 days of fun logging roads, muskeg crossings, fire roads, and sleeping out under the stars or trapping shack as it usually -5 to -10 c when we go...(mid october) Though a couple years it was 10 c and very pleasant. :lol: :lol:

I am interested in a chinese 250 mx to covert into enduro style (for use around town/ country) or a nice enduro(still looking) and hope to ride a long ride, on a long backroad across Canada sometime soon.

Anyways...For 2008- good luck, keep rubber on the road and the bugs in yer teeth.

Please keep posting as this is one of the most interesting sites I have visited on the web and you are a great contributor. 8)

Oh yes..BTY, Greetings from Canada Mrs. Crazy Carl...

culcune
01-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Thank you, Crazy Carl. I haven't been to your site in a while, but wanted to know if your new video has come out yet? Heck, how do I order your "old" video?

Here is a video from somewhere south of the US border on Youtube! It's the supermotard Quingi doing some tricks, and parts don't even fall off the bike!!! LOL :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDnLVvhQeh8

CrazyCarl
01-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Not so much "road touring" ,YET , but rode over 5000 km on an Arctic Cat Cougar Snow Machine in '93...Saw most of the bush/ lakes/mountains between NW Manitoba, Northern Saskatchewan, western Alberta...only a few photos survive because the cameras kept grenading in the cold. Haha...I'll try to find some to post as there is some good stuff..

I am interested in a chinese 250 mx to covert into enduro style (for use around town/ country) or a nice enduro(still looking) and hope to ride a long ride, on a long backroad across Canada sometime soon.

Dude that sounds like a crazy ride! I've never spent any time traveling in by snow mobile but I sure would like to. 5000 miles is quite a trip on a Snow Machine. Was that all in one go? What kind of mileage you you get out of them? Got pics?

250 is a great size for an engine as long as it's designed well. Plenty of power and the case doesn't have to be too heavy either. Most 200's can come from a 150 size case and that's even better in regards to weight but the output between 200-250 is again, quite a step. What back road across
Canada would you be talking about or is it a local rider's secret? :D

CC

CrazyCarl
01-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Thank you, Crazy Carl. I haven't been to your site in a while, but wanted to know if your new video has come out yet? Heck, how do I order your "old" video?

Yes the new movie is now for sale! It runs 98 minutes and gives you glimpses of some of Western China's most beautiful and dangerous landscapes, ancient cultures (Tibet and the Silk Road) as well as some wild-life. Over 13k kilometers of some pretty wild stuff, all traveled solo on Chinese 150's.

You can learn about and purchase the DVD at:
http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

or watch the trailer:
http://www.motocyclops.com/trailer/

The old video was only for experimental reasons and totaled 9 minutes. I had to take it off the web when commercially launching the movie because the music in it was from The Band and Led Zeppelin.

Here is a video from somewhere south of the US border on Youtube! It's the supermotard Quingi doing some tricks, and parts don't even fall off the bike!!! LOL :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDnLVvhQeh8

It certainly looks like the supermo version is quite capable. That fits with what I saw the local sales guy doing at the dealership here in China. Wheelies are no problem on either version of the bike. There's a possibility they could be early winners but it will take at least a year or two to know for sure. It's hard enough to predict what Japanese manufacturers will do and we've been familiar with them for years. Chinese manufacturers are a whole new story.

Stay tuned for another motographic trip report! :D
CC

Jim
01-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Hey Carl that's cool, I haven't really been reading much in these forums, didn't realize you had a dvd, I just watched the trailer, looks like something we'd see on discovery channel, and very well done too.

I guess you setup the camera, and then went back and rode past it and came back for it? (you said you filmed it all and edited it to right?). I'll have to order a copy. :)

CrazyCarl
01-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I guess you setup the camera, and then went back and rode past it and came back for it? (you said you filmed it all and edited it to right?). I'll have to order a copy. :)

Sure did! Setting up the tripod is funny but you get used to it after a while...it's just time consuming. The tripod is why all the moto shots are static. Only part that wasn't filmed by me was filmed by my wife as I was going into and leaving an operating room. I couldn't imagine trying to film myself going into and coming out of an operation. Yeeks.

If you do, be sure to let me know what you think!

CC

Jim
01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Will do :), I would have ordered last night but I have to find my credit card. I can see how it would be difficult to film those parts on your own, ;), glad your ok though.

CrazyCarl
01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Will do :), I would have ordered last night but I have to find my credit card. I can see how it would be difficult to film those parts on your own, ;), glad your ok though.

Thanks Jim, and in the end everything is only as good as you make it!

Please let me know your thoughts and reactions to the film if so inclined.

CC