PDA

View Full Version : 1991 GMC Sierra C1500

Darkrider
11-01-2017, 06:55 AM
As i mentioned in my thread about my squarebody chevy i traded my '86 GMC for this truck. It is a 1991 GMC Sierra C1500 Excab Short box. It has a 350 TBI with TH700R4 4 speed automatic transmission. I will probably end up moving it from the storage yard to my house later today so i can start preparing it for use as a winter daily driver.

https://i.imgur.com/PZwZPEi.jpg

Weldangrind
11-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Very nice. What are your plans for it?

Darkrider
11-02-2017, 05:54 AM
Very nice. What are your plans for it?

Primary plans are to deal with the box and rusted out rocker panels in the spring. Considering ordering some leveling springs to lift the front 2" and fitting a set of all terrain tires in the stock size. I have a smittybilt Street light bar for it which will allow me to mount 4 off road lights to the front bumper. It is a left over part from one of my previous GMT400 series trucks. Plus i have a roof console for it and the older style quad sealed beam headlight set up. I also have a set of clear corner markers with LEDs in them that go to the newer 94+ style grille which i will be swapping to.

Darkrider
11-07-2017, 07:08 PM
So now that i have been driving it a couple days i have a better idea of what it will need work wise.

Trans pan (will probably upgrade to a better oil pan at the same time)
rear pinion seal (may add a lunchbox locker to the rear diff at the same time)
Figure out what the heater box needs to get it working properly.
Current engine needs a rear seal and has over half a million K on it so i am not quite sure which way i will go here. I might look for a newer L31 Vortec 350 and just run a carb intake with TBI adapter. Gain some HP and better heads this way for better performance.

Weldangrind
11-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Half a million K on a SBC just makes me smile.

cheesy
11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Just broken in.

Darkrider
11-10-2017, 01:46 AM
Half a million K on a SBC just makes me smile.

Just broken in.

Considering the above. Honestly i would be far better off to simply go through the existing engine and freshen up the gaskets and valve seals. It would probably chug along for a long while to come after that.

Darkrider
02-28-2018, 12:28 AM
Well as of tonight this truck has a new owner, Traded it off for an '86 K5 Jimmy, will post pics of the new toy once my phone charges enough to upload pics and i am not half knocked out by meds for this dang infection..