PDA

View Full Version : Odometer mileage way off?

J-May
11-30-2017, 06:47 PM
So i just recieved my boom 125cc after getting it running did a few laps down the alley and side streets to get a feel and test everything out. didnt go far and put on about 4 miles. a few days ago went for a first ride racked on a whooping 12 miles. didnt really go far, to the gas station, and a few other places. and came back. total miles up to 16. which i thought was weridly high,since i stayed in town. went on google maps and mapped out my path to the best of my memory came out to about 8 miles... :hmm: so tonight a mapped out a path for about 1.6 miles (actually 1.59) i get on my bike reset the trip and head off on the path, i get to were i started from and ..... trip reads 2.0 miles...:ohno:
quite a bad thing to have the odometer reading 1.25 times the actual traveled mileage. :tdown:

If anyone wants to test this out for me on their bike please do so and post your results.

JerryHawk250
11-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Odometer is more than likely in kilometers like the Hawk.

J-May
12-01-2017, 01:44 AM
Definitely not in kilometers. The conversion numbers don't match hence why I posted the the real verse the recorded. 1.6 miles is like 2.6 kilometers.

Megadan
12-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Not abnormal for almost all Chinese made bikes sold in the U.S. It simply boils down to terrible calibration. Either due to a cheap but incomplete internal gearing change that gets the speedometer "close" to accurate, but drives the odometer at the wrong rate.

If you want nice round figures for miles and KM. 5 miles = 8 kilometers.

J-May
12-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Figures well I guess I'll have to live with 1.25x more miles on the bike then there really is. I wonder if a motorcycle shop would be able to plug into this thing and change the tire size to correct the ratio, what I'm thinking is that they used the same cluster for other larger bikes like the Hawk and consequently the larger tire size, then transferred it to the boom/Vader without reprogramming the tire size. Any known plugs that might be accessible on the bike I know there's a few near the battery that aren't doing anything.