PDA

View Full Version : Need headlight help.

Hellkitty
02-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Hi, I want to install a LED headlight bulb in my Taotao Hellcat. After doing some research it appears that some bulbs require an a/c to d/c converter, or inverter if your headlight runs on a/c, some are built in to the LED kit that you purchase and some bulbs are for d/c only. How can I tell if my headlamp is a/c or d/c? My headlight comes on even if the engine is not running, so it's obviously being powered by the d/c battery, but I read there can be something that triggers the headlight to run off a/c once the engine is started. Mine takes the same type of bulb that the Grom uses (hs1 35w/35w), the Grom is A/C.

Any help would be appreciated, my knowlage of electronics is limited.

cheesy
02-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Hi, I want to install a LED headlight bulb in my Taotao Hellcat. After doing some research it appears that some bulbs require an a/c to d/c converter, or inverter if your headlight runs on a/c, some are built in to the LED kit that you purchase and some bulbs are for d/c only. How can I tell if my headlamp is a/c or d/c? My headlight comes on even if the engine is not running, so it's obviously being powered by the d/c battery, but I read there can be something that triggers the headlight to run off a/c once the engine is started. Mine takes the same type of bulb that the Grom uses (hs1 35w/35w), the Grom is A/C.

Any help would be appreciated, my knowlage of electronics is limited.

Incandescent bulbs don't care if the input is AC or DC, LEDs do. The alternator output is indeed AC but that output should pass through a rectifier, converting said output to DC. Looking at the Grom diagram, the alternator output does pass through a rectifier, so the output at the headlight connector, and all bulbs, will be DC. Bear in mind that things like turn signal relays, fuel pumps, and ECMs are all DC. Low voltage AC is a PITA to work with and almost no one uses it anymore.

The bigger issue with LEDs is polarity. Incorrect polarity will let the smoke out of the LED and probably take a fuse with it. Ask me how I know.

humanbeing
02-08-2018, 10:26 PM
The chinese solution http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=22211028618
+ 正 | light 照
charging 充 | - 铁

Hellkitty
02-09-2018, 06:09 PM
After reading through threads on the Grom forum, it is true that the 2014 and 2015 Groms headlights are A/C, for now I'm just going to replace the bulb I broke with a stock type bulb. Thank you guys for your input.

http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-grom-talk/9062-ac-dc-conversion-options.html

cheesy
02-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Go with what works.

I have gone through the Grom schematics with a fine tooth comb and I cannot see how that headlight bulb is powered by AC. I also read the forum posts and those didn't convince me, either. I run all LEDs, save for the headlight, in my CX. The headlight is HID. I run an LED H4 headlight in my Ural.

HS1/H4 LEDs can be found as Amazon Lighting Deals every now and then for dirt cheap. Might be worth it to drop a fiver on one just to try it.

Hellkitty
02-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Go with what works.

I have gone through the Grom schematics with a fine tooth comb and I cannot see how that headlight bulb is powered by AC. I also read the forum posts and those didn't convince me, either. I run all LEDs, save for the headlight, in my CX. The headlight is HID. I run an LED H4 headlight in my Ural.

HS1/H4 LEDs can be found as Amazon Lighting Deals every now and then for dirt cheap. Might be worth it to drop a fiver on one just to try it.

I took your advice and ordered one from Amazon. $17 is not going to break me. It'll be interesting to see how it works. Thanks man.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWHVLKZ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hellkitty
02-11-2018, 10:51 PM
I put a multimeter on the headlight connection today. With the engine running and the multi-meter set to d/c volts, it read a steady 14.5 volts, switched it to a/c volts and just got an erratic reading. Definitely a D/C circuit.:tup: