PDA

View Full Version : DB forks and rear shock possibilites

kelly5150
01-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I found some parts on E-Bay for the Db-27 , DB200's and the like. They are a set of Orion Inverted front fork in billet polished bright, set up for Disk brakes too and he assures me they will fit the DB's .......$125.00 I beleive he wants , new of course, shipping $25 I think.
They look awsome ! Then of course you'd have to spend another $15 or so on Tripple tree risers for your bars, but that aint much .
Those forks come with Tripple tress in bright billet too and nuts and bearings, the works except for your stock bearing cups . Pretty good deal I suppose.
They have some rear shocks that are very nice too, gas , air , adjustable, you name it they got it for around $75 , alloy and annodized in many colors.

I can see my bike is going to look much different soon, and what a nice upgrade that would make too.
Then my 200 pound fatness could jump safely. I am afraid these stock shocks and forks are going to break or buckle if I don't do something soon. I am giving them a real workout today and so is the Fiance' . We got a nice little 3 foot take-off jump in the track that is punishing, so we'll see if we can't break this thing today . :twisted:
One thing I do not like about these bikes, the DB or the Viva Preditor is all the smog stuff . They just don't idle good enough for my liking with all that crud on them . I noticed that one rider here took it off and capped off the motor and noted it ran better ? I could see that happening soon too just to see if it will run a little smoother. As these motors heat up, it plays heck on the idle , always throwing hot gases back into the motor , making it run different all the time. I just don't like it. I don't live in California anyway , so green stickers meen nothing to me here, especially in my Redneck oasis on the track we built on "MY" property, I can pollute all I want .
Will brake these motors in, then the mods to the exhaust gases are going to change. It must play heck on the CDI's module always dealing with different heat ranges with all this smog crud on these motors?
Any thoughts on that ????

Cheerios, time to go the shop and get ready to ride in awhile, early here yet , obviuosly my insomnia is kicking in . I always ( ALWAYS ! ) get excited before I ride ! Life is good ! :lol:

I own four Motorcycles now, one nice Truck, a good Mazda RX-7 , so I must be praying to the right God ????!!!!!!! :wink:

Cheers, later, Kelly5150 out

liverchip
01-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Might want to be careful, a lot of the "DB" parts you find on E-Bay are pit bike parts. I.e. short forks, 10-12" rims and the like.

kelly5150
01-14-2008, 03:58 AM
Thanks LiverChip,

I checked with the Seller of course and asked for Inches in length and width too , they match the Db's .
I did notice some that were for the XR's and CR's , but I did not even bother asking him that , I know they are too short .
Thanks though, I am always on my E-Bay toes anyway .

I have to ask, what is your Handle exactly, " LiverChip " ?????
Now I have ehard of Poatato Chip, Cow Chip , Dorito Chip, but never Liverchip ??? Any clues ?

Cheers, Kelly5150

oncedead
01-14-2008, 05:05 AM
why would the xr's and cr's be too short ? they're not pit bikes

kelly5150
01-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Oncedead your right with your comment all the way, they, True XR's and CR's 100's wouldn't be too short , but I neglected to say the adds were for XR and CR "Pitbikes" , my bad.....
I just get to typing and think I know everyone can read my mind I guess.
Sorry for the confusion and GOOD CATCH by you .
Then again if a Pit-bikes forks are over 29" they would work too if the tripple trees stem were the same measurment as the DB's in length ....

Later, kelly5150 out :lol:

katoranger
01-15-2008, 11:39 AM
kelly, my fingers work faster than my brain at times. :lol:

liverchip
01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
In the military, I had a buddy in a band that was looking for a name. I came up with "Prune Juice and the Liverchips." Since then and through my CB radio days, it's a handle I've always used....It's unique.

Thanks LiverChip,

I checked with the Seller of course and asked for Inches in length and width too , they match the Db's .
I did notice some that were for the XR's and CR's , but I did not even bother asking him that , I know they are too short .
Thanks though, I am always on my E-Bay toes anyway .

I have to ask, what is your Handle exactly, " LiverChip " ?????
Now I have ehard of Poatato Chip, Cow Chip , Dorito Chip, but never Liverchip ??? Any clues ?

Cheers, Kelly5150

kelly5150
01-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes it is unique , you got that right !

I am sure in your CB days that when you came over the Mic to people and tellign them " This is Liverchip " they probably were concentrating on your name so much with intrigue and wonderment you may have caused your share of road accidents is my guess ?
"Liver chip, who is this guy and what the heck is a Liverchip "
Thud , guardrail, oncomming traffic , rearender , am sure it has happened .

Kelly5150 over and out 8O

ChiGongJitsu
01-15-2008, 11:10 PM
"Thud , guardrail, oncomming traffic , rearender , am sure it has happened . "

Sounds like the drivers in Ohio lol. except for they don't need anything to distract them to run into things. :roll:

kelly5150
01-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Been all over the world folks, Ohio is no worse than anywhere else, Saudi Arabia being the worst I have ever seen, but you name it USA is full of stupid and I repeat , stupid drivers .
Ohio's primary accident problem is all the beautiful corn-fed girls that keep the drivers eyes where they just don't belong .
Just my two cents, for the penney its actually worth that is ....

Wasn't this about DB mods at one time ? Ok then, I like the DB well, hows that, back on track...

Cheers, kelly5150 out

coleary15
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
hey!!! just because im from ohio doesnt mean i reu nto a lot of thigs..but mostly trees or creeks...haha continue on about the db...

ChiGongJitsu
01-16-2008, 09:08 PM
So am I the only one who has the db-27a with inverted forks?

They're not adjustable but i suppose that would be considered an upgrade over the regular forks.

kelly5150
01-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Chigongjitsu,
I doubt your the only one with inverted forks, but not allot of people here chime in . I notice there are allot fo people aquainted to the forum by the member list, but not allot of posts ? Kinda slow forum, but it is picking up .

I wanted to ask you how do you like them on the Db ? I have normal forks myself on mine, Inverted on the Perimeter Frame bike , and I really can't notice much difference if any in the ride . I have road all my life since I was able to ride , probably 4 years old ? I like the looks of the regular forks because I am old I guess and used to that. The Preditor was a huge jump for me to buy since it had the inverted forks. Honestly , I think they may be a little over-rated for guys my age . I think if I still raced I would have to use them though as any edge is an edge over the competition and they are stronger by design and so are your tripple trees, but you have to weigh in the weight of the tripple trees and down-tubes being bigger. So is the ride that much better than normal forks for the weight differentail ? I don't know, is it ?

The one thing that is mathematically unfortunate is that the inverted do offer themselves up to being is scratched, dented, muddy, and when you go in between rocks you got to worry about denting your fork tubes. Just what you don't want by design, so I guess the old school style forks are better that way .

Stiffer up top on the new ones, yes they are, I do notice that. Kinda floats over rough washboard stuff easier, but the floating part I have to get used to .

I guess the Db is $100 more with inverted forks normally. Unless your ABCmotorsports, then they are $1000 for the forks ( Bonus ) $1000 for the bike . So I guess if you think they work better then the $100 more is worth it. But do tell, what do you think ? I may get that Red DB-27 with
the inverted forks also , but I will just see what you have to say first, since nobody else has offered up thier wisdom on inverted Db's, YET ?

As far as being considered an upgrade over regular DB forks, yes, the gold color annodizing does look cool . If they work better too, bonus !

Cheers, Kelly5150 out :lol:

ChiGongJitsu
01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
To be honest, I haven't ridden many bikes with regular forks.

I got a really good deal on my bike so i didn't really have to make a choice about the suspension. The bike sort of just chose me :lol:

I do like that i can probably race this bike stock in a "trailbike" class or something similar to that (super novice? lol) I'd maybe upgrade the rear shock though, and definitely service the forks and maybe shim them.

I guess it comes down to the fact that i might be less confident on a bike with regular forks, but then again, I've only owned bikes with inverted forks so I can't really compare.

I do agree with the fact that the upside down forks tend to feel more floaty over certain terrain.

Possibly just due to lower unsprung weight?

kelly5150
01-17-2008, 10:44 PM
ChiGongJitsu ,

that is a very interesting revalation to me to realize now that some of you younger folk have never had the oportunity to ride traditional forked bikes ?
Never occured to me that there would be anyone on earth that had not ridden tradtional forked bikes . Silly me for being so narrow minded .
:oops:

Cheers , kelly out

ChiGongJitsu
01-17-2008, 11:05 PM
lol as long as we're all addicted to two wheels and a motor, i guess that's all that matters 8)

kelly5150
01-18-2008, 05:35 AM
ChiGongJitsu ,
yeh your right, that is all that matters really . Two wheels and a Motor, who could ask for a better addiction huh ?
The one thing about our bikes , the DB series , is the "Classic lines" of a motorcycle it looks like that I like sooooo much . There hasn't been any bikes on the market really that have looked like these bikes of the late 70's and 80's but these DB's .....I mean there are others, but not many and it is nice to see this bike being produced ( In quantity ) in 2008 . Even nicer thought, we own them !!! I wouldn't mind having a few of them though and I just may in time for that matter I like them so much. From all your posts about your bike and info about the DB's , you do too .
I really like the Viva 250cc Preditor too, but that is like the state of the art new-age Perimeter style hyper-velocity race type bike, but my heart is not touched by that bike like it is when I look at the Db200A . When I look at the Viva, I go " Man that is one bad mamma jamma ! "
When I look at the DB , my heart goes pitter patter like it did when I was younger and on my older bikes, like the Bultaco or my 125 Suzuki or Yamaha AT125 . I guess you'd have to be my age to understand that better ? You get my drift I am sure though . The words " that bike is very cool " get urttered in my garage under my breathe alot when I look at the DB .

Anyway, cheers bro, take it easy and take it twice if it is ! :D

Kelly5150 out