PDA

View Full Version : Normal temperature range for liquid cooled engines

Lkhangee
03-26-2018, 03:24 AM
Hi
What is the optimum temperature for liquid cooled engine?
I m using cg200 water cooled in street bike and mostly my temp gauge shows 75°C (it's the coolant temperature)

Is it high or low? What is the max safe limit?
Regards

ben2go
03-26-2018, 08:44 AM
My CB500X runs about 195*F or 90.5*C. Most bikes run the same thermostat temps that autos run, 180-195F, or 82-90.5C.

Mudflap
03-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Max safe limit is just less than the boiling point of your coolant.

Lkhangee
03-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Max safe limit is just less than the boiling point of your coolant.

Mine is running most of time below 80°C , ambient Temps are 24°.

Earlier I was just using tap water and it would stay below 75 but using premixed fluid it's slightly higher.

So you suggest that with water my Temps should stay below 100? And with coolant it can go higher but should be less then the boiling point of coolant?

Megadan
03-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Most liquid cooled engines have a safe operating range of around 82C to 104C. Generally, any lower than 80C and the engine is actually starting to run less efficiently, and above 104C and you reach the danger zone. I would aim to keep the coolant temps between 80 and 100 as this is generally the most ideal range to be in.

Just a word of advice, don't use tap water for coolant. The minerals in the water will actually deposit in the cooling system over time and clog passages. Use distilled water, or run a pre-mix. The reason your bike runs a little hotter with a coolant mix is because coolant is not quite as good at thermal transfer as water is, but it helps protect the system from corrosion while also lowering the freezing point and raising the boiling point.

letsride
03-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Back in my drag racing days I swore by Red lines water wetter. My drag car ran much better and I was able to keep that thin cylinder walled monster comfortably cool.They have a motorcycle version that I'm soon to try in my Vulcan when its time to swap the coolant. Its good stuff.
https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter-coolant-additives

JerryHawk250
03-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Back in my drag racing days I swore by Red lines water wetter. My drag car ran much better and I was able to keep that thin cylinder walled monster comfortably cool.They have a motorcycle version that I'm soon to try in my Vulcan when its time to swap the coolant. Its good stuff.

I'll 2nd that. :hi: Stuff works great.

ben2go
03-27-2018, 08:18 AM

There is a waterless coolant available that is a direct spin off of water wetter. I used to use it in my offroad trucks. For the life of me I can not remember the name of the product. I think it started with a W. :hmm: