PDA

View Full Version : Magician won't run with choke off

Deryl
04-19-2018, 06:30 PM
So after waiting FOREVER for nice weather just got done with my very first ride, and yes I was grinning like a idiot the whole time. Put it on half choke and it fired up first try, runs on full choke and half but as soon as I turn the choke off it kills. After a 5 minute initial ride it still will not run without half or full choke.

I set the valves at .003 on intake and exhaust, changed to a 115 jet, shimmed the needle with 4 washers, popped out first baffle in exhaust and ground down the exhaust where it leaves the engine so air flows better. I remember reading somewhere someone had the same problem but cannot remember why. Anyone have similar problems or can think of things to check? It ran really great on half choke, throttle response was really good just won't run off choke.

Deryl
04-19-2018, 06:38 PM
And 1 of my nuts that holds on my exhaust to the engine rattled off and the other one is loose. Didn't want to over tighten it but apparently you need to really torque them good!

Mudflap
04-19-2018, 07:12 PM
First thing I would check is to see if the pilot jet is clogged.

wlfpck
04-20-2018, 08:41 AM
For the bolts... don't over tighten them. Pick up some Blue Loctite (the one that still allows you to unscrew things without applying heat) and loctite the bolts.

For the choke issue... if it keeps dying at idle, that's the pilot jet. Like Mudflap said, check if the pilot jet is clogged. If that doesn't work, change the pilot jet size.

Megadan
04-20-2018, 01:24 PM
For the bolts... don't over tighten them. Pick up some Blue Loctite (the one that still allows you to unscrew things without applying heat) and loctite the bolts.

For the choke issue... if it keeps dying at idle, that's the pilot jet. Like Mudflap said, check if the pilot jet is clogged. If that doesn't work, change the pilot jet size.

Blue loctite on exhaust studs is not a good idea. It will break down from the exhaust temps and fail to do it's job eventually.

The best thing you can do for the exhaust side is to tighten down the exhaust, and then place another nut on the stud and tighten it up against the first one. Simple and effective. Then, as a regular part of your maintenance routine, check the fasteners on the bike from time to time to make sure they are still tight. Harley Davidsons have "Critical Fastener" checks as part of their service schedule, because even with loctite, nylock nuts, etc, they still eventually vibrate loose.

Deryl
04-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Just finished with next step of my engine brake in and still won't run right. I took the carb apart and removed the pilot jet, sprayed the jet and the whole it sets in with carb cleaner and blew the whole out with compressed air. It was not running right when I would try to go over 40 either, engine would just bog and killed all power. Never got going this fast before because I was doing my heat cycles. I think this must be a clog somewhere in my carb. Taking the whole thing apart and spraying carb cleaner in it and blowing everything out with air. Any other things I should look into?

Deryl
04-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Think I know why it bogs down. Could it be that it is not getting enough airflow? I was going to do the air box mod but it looked like it was already done from the factory. The opening was pretty big. Going to take a closer look and maybe mod it so it can breathe better.

Deryl
04-24-2018, 08:47 PM
This problem really has me puzzled. I just took it out for a ride and is still will not idle without choke or run at high rpm's. I took the whole carb apart and sprayed everything with carb cleaner and soaked my jets in carb cleaner for 30 minutes. Made no difference. Not sure why this is happening. I did notice my pilot jet hole in the carb(not the whole in the needle but the one drilled into the actual carb)is not centered. Don't know if this makes a difference? Any other ideas on why this is happening?