PDA

View Full Version : Tao Tao Quantum 150cc tuning help needed

Whytehorse
04-22-2018, 02:59 PM
I got a shiny new quantum and went through the oil, did a little breaking in, and now am road testing it. Seems a bit weak. At half-throttle it gives no more. On hills it will slow down. Is this a GY6 motor? There's almost nothing online about this model but I saw that these chinese scooters all have the same motors. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

tortoise
04-22-2018, 11:40 PM
No speed context?

GY6 150's typically cruise at around 50mph, a little more at wide-open-throttle on level terrain, less up inclines and into headwinds.

Whytehorse
04-23-2018, 12:17 PM
No speed context?

GY6 150's typically cruise at around 50mph, a little more at wide-open-throttle on level terrain, less up inclines and into headwinds.

It seems like it has some kind of governor or rev limiter. You give it 50% throttle and it gives you 50% power... give it 100% throttle and you get 50% power no matter the speed. It takes of quickly but after about 20mph something seems like it's holding back. Just not sure where to start. If it is a GY6 motor then maybe I can find the appropriate info and parts and rejet it or something like that?

JerryHawk250
04-23-2018, 01:34 PM
The carb slide works off vacuum. Check for vacuum leaks or possible the slide is just stuck. Check to make sure the slide operates freely. I've had one get stuck due to dust entering the carb.

tortoise
04-23-2018, 07:02 PM
Check to make sure the slide operates freely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJV4IqDpJTk

culcune
04-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Before touching the carb, put in your problem on youtube and see what videos pop up. Your engine is shown in many videos since Taotaos are so popular. Also, a wealth of knowledge specifically for scooters is http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/ Don't let the name fool you since there are discussions on all kinds of scooters.

I would suggest you adjust the valves before going for the carb--these scooters are supposed to be adjusted every 600 miles or so, and if you haven't adjusted them when you bought the bike, this could be a source of your speed issue.