PDA

View Full Version : two strokes?

Dragon
01-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Does China make any 2-stroke, 200cc or greater bike for the US market?

coleary15
01-19-2008, 09:01 PM
ive looked fot them and i cant find any...so im guessing no...but if they did make 2-strokes i would but 1

warrior91
01-20-2008, 12:06 AM
I would think North America won't be getting new 2 strokes....
Perhaps up to a small cc limit...
(AFAIK)

Some reading regarding 2strokes
http://www.atv.co.mv/the-great-debate-two-stroke-versus-four.html
Check it out
:P

kelly5150
01-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I think it is more of an EPA , Emmisions thing , rather than America not wanting them here , because I sure do like two strokes. On the other hand, the EPA does not !
Now that the 4 strokes are winning in MX events up agianst the 2 strokes
( whats left of them ) I think the 2 strokes are going bye bye . JMHO is all.
The last two dirt bikes I have bought are 4 strokes, and I swore long ago I would never buy a 4 stroke dirt bike ? Guess I got old , or tired of changing pistons and rings all the time , not to mention reed valves .
I think people are also wanting machines that take less maintenance, and can run longer and hotter than two strokes also. I guess China is seeing the future of the American market is what it is .

Later, Cheerios and fruitloops, Kelly out

oncedead
01-20-2008, 05:55 AM
I want to get a 250 2stroke Ktm . Their over 40 hp and lighter than the xb31. Just trying to save the last couple hundred. Anyone want a china bike cheap let me know .[/list]

TeamCheap
01-20-2008, 06:34 AM
I thought the US pretty much banned the 2-strokes or atleast are making it very difficult/expensive to get past the EPA.

I myself dont care for the 2-strokes any more (yeah I'm getting old).I hate messing with the oil & gas and they do need to be rebuilt often (but it's easy) but mainly it's because I'm gettting old and like to putt-putt :lol: around more which is better to do on a 4-stroke.

kelly5150
01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Oncedead,
We went into the Yamahahahhahaha deaelrship yesterday where my buddy Dale works, he also sells the KTM's.
He wants over $8,000.00 for the 250 KTM .
You must work for IBM or Microsoft , or are secretley Bill Gates in disguise .
I do wish China would make soemthing like those bikes . they could, but I doubt they will. Oh well.

I did an exhaustive China 2-stroke search and couldn't find much on the web anywhere .
Cheers, Kelly

oncedead
01-20-2008, 05:11 PM
I think if you get a used ktm like im getting its not over $8000.00. MY friend has a 2004 he had for 2 years and had no problems at all with it . For a thousand or 2 more than a china bike its worth it. After all i added up, i probably spent over $3000 on your perfect viva 250 .

ejcycles
01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
There are No More Two-Stroke Dirtbikes/Trailbikes coming into The USA. This is regulated by the EPA.

Note: Two-Stroke Racing Bikes are permitted in The USA, but sold Only for Closed Course Competition Use Only. The EPA said two years ago that if they find these bikes being used on Federal/State & County Park lands they will be banned completely. Read on.....

http://www.bikersrights.com/ama/EPA_end2strokes.html

kelly5150
01-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Good info there !
I wondered just how long that was going to take ?
Now we know . :cry: Wonder how long it will be when they come to our doors to take our 2-strokes away from us ? :cry:

Thanks Bruce,

Kelly5150out

mrhyak
01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I myself dont care for the 2-strokes any more (yeah I'm getting old).I hate messing with the oil & gas and they do need to be rebuilt often (but it's easy) but mainly it's because I'm gettting old and like to putt-putt :lol: around more which is better to do on a 4-stroke.

I agree completly. I used to be a 2-stroke only guy back in my dirt bike/ATC days riding a KX125 and later a 250R and KTX-250.. These days I like bikes with less maintenance and longer engine life (4-stroke).

For the person who said 4 strokes are beating 2 strokes in races, those are not on equal terms. No 4stroke of equal cc's will come close to a 2stroke. I think they race 250 4-stroke bikes against 125 2-strokes if I remember right.

ejcycles
01-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Wonder how long it will be when they come to our doors to take our 2-strokes away from us ? :cry:

They can take my Two-Strokes after they tear my Guns from my cold dead hands...
'68 Benelli Dynamo 50 Woodsbike, '72 Benelli Dynamo 65 Scrambler, '73 Benelli Dynamo 65 Compact, '73 Benelli Volcano 180, '73 Benelli Panther 125, '68 Montgomery Wards 175 Scrambler, '72 DKW 125 Hornet, '74 Chaparral ST80, '90 Honda NS50, '72 Suzuki TS50, '74 Suzuki GT185, (6) '71-72 Yamaha JTI 60 Mini Enduros, '74 Yamaha YZ80-A, '74 Yamaha YZ125-A, '75 Yamaha MX100-B, '73 Yamaha RD350, '72 Alsport\Steen 80, '7? Alsport 60, '73 Rupp 80 MX, '72 Rockford 60 Tora, '7? Speedway 100 Enduro, '68 Bonanza BC1300SH minibike w/Hodaka 90 engine, Factory made. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

rich_e
01-23-2008, 12:41 AM
When I was a teenager I lived in Spain (my father was in the Air Force). I had several small displacement two stokes and I don't remember maintenance issues with them. I had a Puch mini-cross (photo below -not mine) that I road almost every day for three years That little Puch was just the coolest bike. It looked like a full size MX bike, but was actually just a 50cc moped. I remember taking the top end apart and cleaning out the carbon build up (I don't recall how often maybe once or twice) but I never had a problem with it. I rode hard, full throttle most of the time.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/riche_2/Bikes/th_Puch_Minicross_MC50_M.jpg (http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/riche_2/Bikes/Puch_Minicross_MC50_M.jpg)

I sure had fun with that bike. It was my first motorcycle (err.. moped). I had fox minibike before that and got a Yamaha DT 175 enduro when we got back to the states in 1976 (jesh I'm old). Never had a problem with that Yamaha either. In fact, the only two stroke I ever broke was an RC-350, the predecessor of the famous RD-400 that Bruce has. I broke a ring in that one. But it was already 15 years old by the time I got it. Now the newer two stokes are a little different. I was surprised that my KDX has an intake valve of sorts, it can be a pain if it gets gummed up with carbon. It makes for smooth, 4 stoke like, low end power but it adds moving parts and destroys the simplicity of the two stroke IMHO. That, and it's water cooled. So now days, I prefer the simplicity of a 4 stoke, air cooled, single.

ejcycles
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
rich e

Speak of that Puch, in the states we had what was called a Magnum X. It had their moped engine on it with a kickstart {no pedals} that would have been that one's lil brother. I sold two of these years ago and have about three that are just parts today, one could & will be fixed up again.

Here is a link. http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/2/802/

rich_e
01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Sure looks like the same engine. Neat little bike, I've only seen Puch mopeds in the states.