PDA

View Full Version : Hellcat finally snapped

DudeMantia
05-17-2018, 01:19 AM
I guess I just pushed my bike too hard but while riding, the choke plate inside my PZ25 Carb ended up breaking in half. I found a large piece of the plate on the other side of the carb that got stuck on its way to the manifold. The worst of it all is that a small chunk got sucked into the engine somehow, and now the bike turns over but won't start up. I really should have switched the carb sooner, the plate itself had signs of it being over tightened from factory.

I'll have some pictures within the week, I'm taking it over to a shop to crack it open and see the damage soonish.

In any case a new engine doesn't exactly break the bank to hard. :shrug:
Hope it doesn't come to that though.

DudeMantia
05-17-2018, 01:32 AM
This is where the plate was.

JerryHawk250
05-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Hopefully it just got stuck in the intake valve and not letting it close.

lineman55
05-17-2018, 04:26 PM
That royally sucks. That is not a part that should freaking break. I'd be livid over that. I see the two phillips head screws, they didn't loosen up, the plate just broke? What the hell is up with that? Did you get stranded far?

I guess I just pushed my bike too hard but while riding, the choke plate inside my PZ25 Carb ended up breaking in half. I found a large piece of the plate on the other side of the carb that got stuck on its way to the manifold. The worst of it all is that a small chunk got sucked into the engine somehow, and now the bike turns over but won't start up. I really should have switched the carb sooner, the plate itself had signs of it being over tightened from factory.

I'll have some pictures within the week, I'm taking it over to a shop to crack it open and see the damage soonish.

In any case a new engine doesn't exactly break the bank to hard. :shrug:
Hope it doesn't come to that though.

DudeMantia
05-17-2018, 05:17 PM
That royally sucks. That is not a part that should freaking break. I'd be livid over that. I see the two phillips head screws, they didn't loosen up, the plate just broke? What the hell is up with that? Did you get stranded far?

It wasn't too bad, Just a nearby town. I kind of worry about taking it to busy areas. All I had to do to take it home was toss it in the back of a truck with the help of another person. really light bike, I could see an opportunistic thief going for it at some point.

I was unsure if the plate just got too loose and the vibration broke it in half, but It looked as if the screw heads were tightened down pretty hard on the piece I found.

Chinabike
05-17-2018, 06:17 PM
shit that sucks man, sorry to hear.
I'll go look at my stock carb, its in a box.

Chinabike
05-17-2018, 06:39 PM
If it helps any.
So the screws stayed intacked?

https://preview.ibb.co/iuJbwJ/IMG_0603.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/du8LOy/IMG_0602.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/mhjuiy/IMG_0601.jpg

Hellkitty
05-17-2018, 07:56 PM
That should have never happened. Let me ask you, besides the carb issue, how has your Hellcat been holding up? How many miles do you have on it? Have you had any other issues? Just curious because I have one.

DudeMantia
05-17-2018, 08:15 PM
The red part got sucked into the engine, I have the green part around here somewhere.

I bought this bike with the intention of learning about the mechanics of it all, but I never really planned for this kind of issue.

Would it be a decent idea to take just the head off and look around in there for a start?

JerryHawk250
05-17-2018, 08:24 PM
That big of a piece couldn't of gotten to far. I would pull the head.

DudeMantia
05-17-2018, 08:28 PM
That should have never happened. Let me ask you, besides the carb issue, how has your Hellcat been holding up? How many miles do you have on it? Have you had any other issues? Just curious because I have one.

It was running absolutely fine, I put 1600 miles on mine and changed the oil a few times. Only thing I've had to fix on it before was the High beam on my headlight burnt out. Beyond what happened recently which was avoidable I would say hellcats are worth it. It's going to eventually teach me about engines, and how motorcycles work.

eventually... :doh:

Chinabike
05-17-2018, 08:57 PM
You sure its not just stuck in the intake pipe?
If its in the head hopefully it didn't tear anything up in there.

BlackBike
05-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Did you hear the engine rattle before it shut down. If injested, I think you would have heard the bag-o-change sound. If somethingsin there, I would think you could remove the plug and turn the engine (by hand?) to feel if it gets blocked by forgiven object. But then again, that s a small flat piece. Let's hope for the best.

Weldangrind
05-18-2018, 01:07 PM
X2 on pulling the intake tube, like Chinabike says. You might get luck and be able to fish it out with needle nose pliers. A magnet might also do the trick, since the intake and the head are likely alloy, whereas the choke plate is probably plated steel.

Chinabike
05-18-2018, 02:11 PM
X2 on pulling the intake tube, like Chinabike says. You might get luck and be able to fish it out with needle nose pliers. A magnet might also do the trick, since the intake and the head are likely alloy, whereas the choke plate is probably plated steel.

Do what Weldangrind said first before you pull head. Try a long flexible magnet

DudeMantia
05-19-2018, 12:29 AM
Gotta dig deeper... :grr:

You can see where it got stuck at the intake valve.

DudeMantia
05-19-2018, 01:09 AM
I'm starting to suspect that the small piece got mulched.

DudeMantia
05-19-2018, 01:30 AM
Here it is!

found it jingling around inside the exhaust.

Did some damage in there, maybe it will still work. I hope those indents on the piston are normal :doh:

Going to throw it back together tonight and see if i can start it tomarrow.

I should clean all the metal flakes out beforehand though? I imagine its not good for the engine with those in there.

Chinabike
05-19-2018, 03:58 AM
dam it did some damage in there, Looks like it will be ok tho.
Let use know.

Bruces
05-19-2018, 11:41 AM
I would throw a head and piston on that ,no sense wasting your time or a gasket set hoping it will run for a few minutes before it dies .

franque
05-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Yeah, what bruces said... It's not worth having the valves snap off and take out the Piston and then the entire bottom end.

JerryHawk250
05-19-2018, 03:26 PM
:hi: same here. Parts are cheap. But then again so are the engines. Do it right the 1st time.

DudeMantia
05-19-2018, 05:06 PM
If anyone could point me in the direction of replacement engine parts for this style of engine I would be hunky dory.

PartsKit only has a new engine for sale, but if I can get the parts cheaper than $300 it would be a great help.

The bike will not start at all, and I definitely need a new carburetor

culcune
05-19-2018, 06:28 PM
If anyone could point me in the direction of replacement engine parts for this style of engine I would be hunky dory.

PartsKit only has a new engine for sale, but if I can get the parts cheaper than $300 it would be a great help.

The bike will not start at all, and I definitely need a new carburetor

Is your warranty over on it. If not, I would try to pursue that route, first. I am not sure if the Boom/Baodiao Vader bikes' engine parts are interchangeable with Taotao, but you could try Kronik Racing in Simi Valley since they are a big Vader dealer and sell and set-up racing pitbikes. Where in California are you? You could make it over there in person if close enough.

DudeMantia
05-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Is your warranty over on it. If not, I would try to pursue that route, first. I am not sure if the Boom/Baodiao Vader bikes' engine parts are interchangeable with Taotao, but you could try Kronik Racing in Simi Valley since they are a big Vader dealer and sell and set-up racing pitbikes. Where in California are you? You could make it over there in person if close enough.

I bought the bike without the optional 3 month warranty, and it shipped from Powersportsmax who has a huge history of being very unhelpful when it comes to communication.

I have found this potential replacement though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400928757686

there is a digital caliper set in my ebay cart too. I'm not sure if my engine size is 52.4mm but it seems to fit the stock taotao motors for atv's. My plan so far is to get the part, and if the head size doesn't match i'll just ship the part back.

I'm also planning on getting this carburetor to replace the now choke-less PZ25

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291306433309

As for traveling I live on the Oregon border but still in California, so going to socal is a stretch unless I hitch a ride with friends. I live in quite the hole of a town.

Hellkitty
05-19-2018, 07:31 PM
The Hellcat uses a 54mm bore engine. I think this one would work,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CYLINDER-TOP-END-KIT-1P54FMI-CHINESE-125CC-ROKETA-COOLSTER-SSR-BMS-ATV-DIRT-BIKE/371356555488?hash=item56769358e0:g:I7wAAOSwbqpTxOU I:sc:USPSPriority!90603!US!-1

This one seems like a really good deal but they say "not in stock coming soon" you could call or email them and ask when it will be in stock.

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/products_id/15190/cPath/21_85

culcune
05-19-2018, 08:11 PM
I spoke for a while with the guy at Kronik Racing, and he is not familiar with the Hellcat, as far as it's engines internals being interchangeable with the Vader's engines that he carries. However, he does have complete engines for the Vader which would bolt up to the Hellcat, and he said he is waiting on a shipment of the 190cc engines which are probably expensive as compared to a replacement 125cc engine. Off the subject, he said he is now carrying the Lifan KP Mini 150 which is now California street legal, so I was very happy to hear that.

Bruces
05-19-2018, 08:34 PM
I know nothing about your bike ,but if you can take a picture of the pad with the serial numbers of the engine ,it’s right near the shifter ,we can figure out what you really have .
If you are possibly looking at another engine ,I do not think you can beat a piranha 140 for value and performance ,I have installed many ,like around 2 dozen ,and have been very happy with them as have my customers .As for the 190 engines ,I like the idea of them ,but I have seen so many blown up for many reasons ,or the engine cases broken ,or the kick starter broken out of the cases ,I would rather pass unless it was for a racer who knows he is buying a short term item for a lot of cash .

Chinabike
05-19-2018, 09:01 PM
I spoke for a while with the guy at Kronik Racing, and he is not familiar with the Hellcat, as far as it's engines internals being interchangeable with the Vader's engines that he carries. However, he does have complete engines for the Vader which would bolt up to the Hellcat, and he said he is waiting on a shipment of the 190cc engines which are probably expensive as compared to a replacement 125cc engine. Off the subject, he said he is now carrying the Lifan KP Mini 150 which is now California street legal, so I was very happy to hear that.

Yes 54mmx54mm bore is what you need? what parts do you need?

these head will work

https://www.amazon.com/Cylinder-Assembly-125cc-Barrel-Wheeler/dp/B00O19URF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526777624&sr=8-1&keywords=54mm+cylinder+head&dpID=51aGHtjLWxL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Cylinder-Assembly-125cc-Roketa-Taotao/dp/B01N78XTIN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526777624&sr=8-3&keywords=54mm+cylinder+head

https://www.ebay.com/itm/54mm-cylinder-head-assembly-Valve-For-125cc-Trail-PIT-QUAD-DIRT-BIKE-ATV-DUNE/202024981766?hash=item2f09a09506:g:3AkAAOSw7QNZlpC-

Hellkitty
05-19-2018, 09:02 PM
I know nothing about your bike ,but if you can take a picture of the pad with the serial numbers of the engine ,it’s right near the shifter ,we can figure out what you really have .
If you are possibly looking at another engine ,I do not think you can beat a piranha 140 for value and performance ,I have installed many ,like around 2 dozen ,and have been very happy with them as have my customers .As for the 190 engines ,I like the idea of them ,but I have seen so many blown up for many reasons ,or the engine cases broken ,or the kick starter broken out of the cases ,I would rather pass unless it was for a racer who knows he is buying a short term item for a lot of cash .

I have installed 2 Piranha 125 engines in my Honda CT70's, very similar to the 140's and I agree they are great engines but they are kick start only. You'd have to give up the electric starter and I dont think the kick start lever would work with the Hellcat. I also have a Hellcat.

DudeMantia
05-19-2018, 09:19 PM
The part that Hellkitty posted helped me figure out that the lower end of my cylinder says 124cm³

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Rebuild-Kit-125-125cc-54mm-E22-Honda-Chinese-ATV-Go-Kart-Motorcycle/351936015451?hash=item51f1056c5b

The part I had listed before was for a 52.4mm which is apparently mislabeled 110cc engines. This one here seems to look exactly like the same setup I have.

Would it be okay to use the current head but just do a rebuild on the cylinder and piston?

Chinabike
05-19-2018, 10:44 PM
The part that Hellkitty posted helped me figure out that the lower end of my cylinder says 124cm³

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Rebuild-Kit-125-125cc-54mm-E22-Honda-Chinese-ATV-Go-Kart-Motorcycle/351936015451?hash=item51f1056c5b

The part I had listed before was for a 52.4mm which is apparently mislabeled 110cc engines. This one here seems to look exactly like the same setup I have.

Would it be okay to use the current head but just do a rebuild on the cylinder and piston?

should be. Are the valves, rockers, cam ok?

DudeMantia
05-19-2018, 11:41 PM
should be. Are the valves, rockers, cam ok?

This is what the valves and everything looked like when i disassembled the head. I'm not sure if its damaged too bad, I've also contacted TaoTao about their warranty implied in the owners manual.

culcune
05-19-2018, 11:47 PM
I know I sound like a commercial for Kronik, but I figure they have been in business for years and build racing pitbikes out of Chinese bikes, so know these engines (other than Taotao) well. I forgot to mention he can accept photo texts, and did mention to have you photo text him to figure out if the Vader internals can work in the Taotao.

Chinabike
05-20-2018, 03:47 PM
This is what the valves and everything looked like when i disassembled the head. I'm not sure if its damaged too bad, I've also contacted TaoTao about their warranty implied in the owners manual.

Looks like you should replace the head assembly. Valves look beat up. :(

Arcstriker29
05-20-2018, 09:10 PM
That sucks man, I'm glad I replaced my carb right off the bat. You'll be very happy with the 26mm BUT to get the most out of it, you'll need to upgrade the stock intake pipe, my hellcat even tho the carb was a PZ25 the intake pipe was still only a 19mm ID, which will kinda choke it off. You'll get a performance boost just from swapping the carbs... I haven't used a butterfly choke like that for awhile, and now I'm glad I don't lol. So when you put it back together, did you happen to recheck the valve clearance?? Theres a good chance their knocked out of wack now, but if those valves seat tight when closed, that should fire up, I've ran a piston and head in a 25HP Cub cadet that the valve came loose and jammed in to the piston hard, left an imprint lol. got new valves and springs etc, still running today a few hundred hours on it. But if the valve clearance is out of wack, then your compression might be down to shit, and either won't run or run like garbage... also if your still using the same carb, then you have no choke now, so I'm sure it will be a rough start with that alone, but would start. I could be wrong tho, if so I'm sure someone will chime in. My Hellcat has 1300 miles on it, only thing I had go wrong was carb related as well, but mine was the throttle needle C clip got sucked in, small enough to probably shoot out the muffler like a BB, swapped it out for another carb that was a little better quality and she's been running good since, that was around 900 miles, and the carb that went was not the stock one, so I'd still say the bike is worth every cheap penny I spent on it. Good luck tho, which ever route you go down to fix it, sounds like there is a lot of informed and helpful people hear to help. Good to have that on your side thats for sure.

Hellkitty
05-21-2018, 03:33 AM
I changed the carb on my Hellcat right away too. I went with the chukuni VM22 mounted to the stock intake and stock airbox. The carb barley clears the starter but it fit. I dremeled a taper in the intake to match the carb, so the air/fuel kind of funnels in to it. I might be robbing it of some power by using the stock intake but it runs perfect. I haven't done a top speed test on it but I can get it to 50 in no time with the stock gearing. I like using the airbox because it give an extra layer of protection from sucking water into the intake while splashing through a creek or puddle.

JerryHawk250
05-21-2018, 08:25 AM
This is what the valves and everything looked like when i disassembled the head. I'm not sure if its damaged too bad, I've also contacted TaoTao about their warranty implied in the owners manual. At this point it looks like you will be replacing the cylinder and piston. Besides the damage I seen in the pictures. I see one reason why it didn't start. Plug tip took a beating. If you clean it out real good and it still has good compression and no scaring of the cylinder, try putting a new plug. It might run as is. You can always go with a big bore kit.

wlfpck
05-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Before you go down the path of replacing with another 125... maybe look at the ZS190?

If not, check the facebook pages... ZS190 Swap Shop, ZS190 Swap Page, Clone Army, Icebear Fuerza Owners Page, etc.

Probably someone on there will sell you a 125 for super cheap if they did the zs190 swap. I think a while back someone gave the old engine away.

blanc12
05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
At this point it looks like you will be replacing the cylinder and piston. Besides the damage I seen in the pictures. I see one reason why it didn't start. Plug tip took a beating. If you clean it out real good and it still has good compression and no scaring of the cylinder, try putting a new plug. It might run as is. You can always go with a big bore kit.

I agree with JerryHawk
I have seen worse run just fine. If the exhaust valve seat is not beat up it should run good with the old parts. I have had glow plugs go through a cylinder and out the exhaust and the engines were fine. I would remove the exhaust valve and give it a look though.

DudeMantia
06-05-2018, 12:13 AM
I ordered a new engine from Partskit and this is how it was packaged, $284 shipped to Northern California. Comes with everything besides the sprocket cover, and manifold.

Chinabike
06-05-2018, 03:28 PM
I ordered a new engine from Partskit and this is how it was packaged, $284 shipped to Northern California. Comes with everything besides the sprocket cover, and manifold.

Sweet. Post pictures of your install please.
Why did you decide to replace the whole engine?

DudeMantia
06-06-2018, 12:28 AM
Sweet. Post pictures of your install please.
Why did you decide to replace the whole engine?

It was really easy, I didn't even need a jack to install it. Just loosened the rear set on both sides so i could get to the lower engine mount. Got down real low and lifted the engine into place with one hand, and set a bolt in the top mount to hold it in place with the other. then the engine was able to pivot itself into the lower mount so I could bolt that too.

all the wire connections have plugs that fit up to the existing wire harness, which was nice since my geese chewed on the cables a little bit and made them ugly.

I torqued the engine mount bolts to 45ft/lbs

Reasoning for a new engine? I guess I could have saved a few bills by buying just the parts but this way I know I've got a fresh start again and no issues should arise.

I first took my hellcat to a muddy dirt-bike track when It arrived, in hindsight it was probably a terrible idea for it and most likely contributed to the rust spots on the engine.

Douglass
06-06-2018, 12:41 AM

How long did it take to get the engine, and how was the experience buying from them?

DudeMantia
06-06-2018, 12:52 AM
How long did it take to get the engine, and how was the experience buying from them?

I placed my order on 5/24 and there was a holiday soon after

Engine was shipped with Fedex Home Delivery

Package was picked up by carrier service in Irving Texas on 5/30 and was delivered by 6/4

I didn't speak with them at all, and it was very straight forward. I always feel kinda worried ordering from sites that don't have much reviews, but it went very smoothly. The package shown in the picture was also inside of another box, with a CAUTION HEAVY sticker on it.

Chinabike
06-06-2018, 01:53 AM
It was really easy, I didn't even need a jack to install it. Just loosened the rear set on both sides so i could get to the lower engine mount. Got down real low and lifted the engine into place with one hand, and set a bolt in the top mount to hold it in place with the other. then the engine was able to pivot itself into the lower mount so I could bolt that too.

all the wire connections have plugs that fit up to the existing wire harness, which was nice since my geese chewed on the cables a little bit and made them ugly.

I torqued the engine mount bolts to 45ft/lbs

Reasoning for a new engine? I guess I could have saved a few bills by buying just the parts but this way I know I've got a fresh start again and no issues should arise.

I first took my hellcat to a muddy dirt-bike track when It arrived, in hindsight it was probably a terrible idea for it and most likely contributed to the rust spots on the engine.

Thanks for the update. Good to know it went simple enough. thinking of just buy a spare from them or maybe try the zs190 swap in winter.

cbrfxr67
06-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Any updates?

DudeMantia
06-27-2018, 01:07 PM
Any updates?

My hellcat is put together now and runs perfectly, starts up when I need it to. I try to get out and ride it every day, and I have an action cam so I might take a few videos of a ride if it gets somewhat sunny today.

But within the few months that I've had it I can say I'm ready for an upgrade. For where I live I just need that little extra bit of power to really use my motorcycle to commute anywhere here in the mountains. A 20 minute trip to Oregon takes about an hour on my bike because I have to take roads that stay below 50. It is really fun to just go out and ride though, it feels like i'm racing everyone else with a Boombox on 2 wheels :D

The Hellcat is absolute perfect bike for learning the road, and basic motorcycle mechanics on if you are new to them like I was.

I have been seeing that CSC SG250 Floating around the internet and for 2k it sounds like a great deal and the next step up from these 125cc grom clones.

RedCrowRides
06-27-2018, 03:01 PM
i dont know what "body style" the CSC SG250 is, but if you are open at all to a Hawk, they are less expensive than 2k by a long way and there is tons of active Users here who love them and have had good luck with them,and it's dual sport so good for street and trail as well.if you are wanting the "crotch roket" style then no, a Hawk wont blow yer skirt up :)

DudeMantia
06-27-2018, 11:55 PM
i dont know what "body style" the CSC SG250 is, but if you are open at all to a Hawk, they are less expensive than 2k by a long way and there is tons of active Users here who love them and have had good luck with them,and it's dual sport so good for street and trail as well.if you are wanting the "crotch roket" style then no, a Hawk wont blow yer skirt up :)

The SG250 is a "cafe racer"

I looked at Hawk bikes and really wanted one at one point but living in Kalifornia has its drawbacks. Every motorcycle new, has to be EPA/CARB approved to be able to register it with the local DMV for on street use. None of the bikes I looked at from Hawk from my distributor at the time were able to be used for on road purpose in CA, sadly.

CSC makes a TT250 which is a good equivalent of an onroad/offroad bike avaliable in all 50 States.

I sent CSC an email asking if they shipped the bikes unassembled but they said they do not.

The two bikes mentioned start at 2k but after added fees/assembly its close to $2500

RedCrowRides
06-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Ah, my bad, I totally didn't notice you are in Cali ,and it says it right there in your location., yeah AFAIK Hawks are not road legal in CA., which is a pity because you mentioned taking roads thru the mountains, and i figured a dual sport would unlock the other half of the terrain for you .
That said I love cafe bikes and not everyone wants to get off the street to trail ride and are perfectly happy on asphalt only and there is nothing wrong with that .
Maybe look at the ZS190 swap for your bike, it is about a grand after you buy the engine and a new exhaust but it will certainly make a Vader strong enough to do hiway and greatly up the torque and its a straight bolt in.

The only issue is you'd still have a Vader sized bike and not a full size one and if that is part of why you want to upgrade then i get that ,I like the small size of the Vaders

,my other bike is a Sportster 1200 and while not "heavy" compared to other Harleys, it's not something you go play on like a Vader either lol.
Anyways best of luck to you and keep us posted as to what you do and how it turns out !

culcune
06-29-2018, 10:44 AM
DudeMatia--if you can swing the extra cash, you should also consider the XF250. A step above the TT250/Hawk/Bashan/etc. Chinese enduros as far as quality goes. California-legal, too.