PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Mania!

Darkrider
05-31-2018, 09:03 PM
Figured i might as well lump the tractors into their own thread for now as it will be easy enough to keep it organized for them.

First one is a 1992 John Deere SX95 RER (Rear Engine Rider). It has a 12.5 Hp Kawasaki engine with electric start and a 38" twin blade deck. What it needs mostly is a carb clean and the belts reinstalled for the deck. Other then that a battery and a few odds and ends like a new ignition switch to be properly functional.

This pic is from last fall just after i got it. It was snowing the day it was delivered.

https://i.imgur.com/nMZADl0.jpg

Here it is with today's purchase..

https://i.imgur.com/2ZcH7uP.jpg

Which brings us to this rig. An older Allis Chalmers 405 RER. This one has a 5 Hp Briggs and Stratton on it. All the wiring has been disconnected so it is pretty much as simple as a push lawn mower. It mostly needs a proper kill switch, new belts off of the engine for the deck and drivetrain and some sort of steering wheel. Will more then likely will order a steering wheel off of wish or something and make my own adapter to mount it. This will allow me to mount it a bit higher to clear my knees.

https://i.imgur.com/jO4ggGL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vcZs1lI.jpg

Like i mentioned in the what did you buy thread i may end up with a few more JD projects in the near future.

I am seriously considering the idea of building a small snow blade for the Allis for winter use. Kinda have it figured out in my head to mount it off of the front pivot for the deck and have a support arm go back to the chassis to stop it from pole vaulting the machine while in use. Figure it could be a fun way to clear snow during winter. However this idea may not happen if i get one of the bigger JDs i can put a proper blade or blower on.

Darkrider
06-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Fun little fact is that the Allis Chalmers is a twin machine to a machine built by Simplicity around the same time called the Wonderboy. What is unique about both is they came with either a steering wheel or a steering loop much like one would find on a bumper car which is more or less like using handle bars like this one is fitted now. One thought i have already kicked around is actually just getting another steering stem from a bike and fitting some BMX handlebars to it to gain that same knee clearance. Meaning i could set up the steering without fabbing anything really.. I can easily turn the front wheels lock to lock with the current bar on it. I am just concerned about the flimsy metal that the clamp on there now is made from. I will need to replace the fuel tank on it as there is a leak at the seam plus the fuel fill cap points straight up towards the engine shroud. I have noticed there are tanks for these engines with an angled fuel cap which is what this most likely had on its original engine. The machine itself is from around the mid to late 70's while the current engine was swapped onto it in the early 90s when the engine was brand new. The friend i bought the mower from has another 5 Hp briggs that i may grab from him as a backup for this unit. What is ironic is that these engines are the so called "Flathead" 5 hp that seem to be popular in both karting and mini bikes. Due to which there is a lot of aftermarket support for it in terms of performance upgrades. So i may actually play with this a bit to get a bit more out of one of them. See if i can't gain a bit more usable power out of the little guy.

Weldangrind
06-01-2018, 12:02 PM
So cool! I love little tractors. I once converted an old Cadet 85 RER for towing Jr. dragsters about 11 years ago. It was an ideal foundation, with an 8.5hp motor and electric start. I geared it up considerably for more speed, but not as much as I should have.
I love the idea about pushing snow with one of your tractors. I agree that the pivot point should be under the axle.
I'll be following along!

ben2go
06-01-2018, 03:55 PM
I dig RERs. :lmao:

Darkrider
06-01-2018, 07:10 PM
So cool! I love little tractors. I once converted an old Cadet 85 RER for towing Jr. dragsters about 11 years ago. It was an ideal foundation, with an 8.5hp motor and electric start. I geared it up considerably for more speed, but not as much as I should have.
I love the idea about pushing snow with one of your tractors. I agree that the pivot point should be under the axle.
I'll be following along!

It should be an interesting project. I may have a lead on a few extra engines for it as well including an 8hp briggs that may just end up on there for awhile while overhauling the current 5 hp. The 8 would then probably end up in a mini bike or something...time will tell.

I dig RERs. :lmao:

They are def an interesting layout for sure...guess they figured out that it is more ideal for certain applications considering how the current Zero turn mowers are laid out lol

ben2go
06-01-2018, 09:12 PM
My little Murray was one of the first to have that tight turn feature, or at least it was one that first started advertising it in the late 80s or early 90s when they dressed them up and changed the color from a darker metallic red to black.

Darkrider
06-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Looked at this unit when i looked at the truck again today. Can probably snag it for free.

Lawnboy of unknown year with an 8 hp briggs.

https://i.imgur.com/QRCxHQW.jpg

Weldangrind
06-02-2018, 12:48 PM
I have an axle and three speed (with reverse) from an old Cadet 75; are they of any use to you?

Darkrider
06-02-2018, 01:59 PM
I have an axle and three speed (with reverse) from an old Cadet 75; are they of any use to you?

Are we talking front axle and 3 speed transaxle here? Possibly!

Darkrider
06-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Oh before i forget this may soon be become part of the collection. It is at the same location where the Allis was and where my van and camper are at. Not sure what year it is yet but it is a John Deere 66 RER with an 8 hp motor.

https://i.imgur.com/DXlYRHz.jpg

Weldangrind
06-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Are we talking front axle and 3 speed transaxle here? Possibly!

No, it's a divorced transmission that has a vertical belt input and a horizontal sprocket output. The output connects to the rear axle with a chain. You can connect the transmission to any vertical shaft walk-behind mower engine, if you wish. The transmission pinion gear is a little worn, but I think it still has life in it.
It could make a good go-kart setup, particularly with a centrifugal clutch on the output shaft of the motor, rather than a belt and pulley clutch setup like most RER tractors have.

Darkrider
06-04-2018, 11:59 AM
No, it's a divorced transmission that has a vertical belt input and a horizontal sprocket output. The output connects to the rear axle with a chain. You can connect the transmission to any vertical shaft walk-behind mower engine, if you wish. The transmission pinion gear is a little worn, but I think it still has life in it.
It could make a good go-kart setup, particularly with a centrifugal clutch on the output shaft of the motor, rather than a belt and pulley clutch setup like most RER tractors have.

Def have my interest as it could very easily be used as part of a bar stool racer too...hmmm

And here are some more pics of the Allis and the JD i currently have..

https://i.imgur.com/pS5LgrH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VS7JSKN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QAO1MGC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bcoYA0Q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XT7VNxE.jpg

ben2go
06-04-2018, 05:31 PM

I have/had one of those but I never found the right shift lever. It came from an old rear engine Murray if I remember right.

Weldangrind
06-05-2018, 10:29 AM
I have/had one of those but I never found the right shift lever. It came from an old rear engine Murray if I remember right.

Mine is from a Cadet 75.

wheelbender6
06-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Don't own one, but I'd love to tinker with some lawn tractors. I like those mini hot rods they build on lawn tractor drive trains.
https://i2.wp.com/www.tbucketplans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ashley-Designs-Mini-T-Bucket-7.jpg

Weldangrind
06-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Wheelbender6, that's exactly what I have in mind to build, although mine won't be as pretty. My plan is to use a wheelbarrow for the body.

wheelbender6
06-06-2018, 08:21 PM
I've seen a few of those wheel barrow based hot rods on pinterest. They are cool.

Hawk 229cc
06-06-2018, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Darkrider;281875]Figured i might as well lump the tractors into their own thread for now as it will be easy enough to keep it organized for

I have Neighbor picked up one for $100..00 JD side of the road sale been mowing for 2 year with it,we had the 12.5 kaws on our bunton walk behinds
in the late 80s run for ever those engines do ,i just got this mostly for snow blowing in winter ,but get the yard cut in like 20 minutes the kohler 22hp 7000 series,now i got to get the 3 stage blower set up about $1300.00 for all,got to love anything with an engine on it i added the 725 22hp v twin sticker http://i67.tinypic.com/30krl8k.jpg

bogieboy
06-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Don't own one, but I'd love to tinker with some lawn tractors. I like those mini hot rods they build on lawn tractor drive trains.
https://i2.wp.com/www.tbucketplans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ashley-Designs-Mini-T-Bucket-7.jpg

Mine aint that purty, but an adult can drive it....LOL and yep... wheelbarrow bucket....

http://youtu.be/nqYWY3yVTQw

wheelbender6
06-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Nicely done.

BlackBike
06-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Hawk 229cc...I used to have flame decals on my lesco walkbehind commercial mower. This pretty new cub needs them too. As long as you have to cut the grass, might as well have fun with it..

Hawk 229cc
06-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Hawk 229cc...I used to have flame decals on my lesco walkbehind commercial mower. This pretty new cub needs them too. As long as you have to cut the grass, might as well have fun with it..

yes flames i have them going to add them ,cant wait to see it blow snow actually yes i can wait as long as its 2019 before it snows or dec. lesco makes good mowers too there is the comercial on tv guy has blower on his mower is funny

there are some pretty cool youtube videos of those things doing alot of things ,like guys makeing mud ditch diging monsters out of the older ones ,we had an cub cadet when they were like like $4000.00 in the 1980s when they were built to last an that thing was tractor alright ,this one is nice the old one did like 30 mph an i could run over logs an drive through the woods too,put some bigger tires an any tractor i guess you can do the same ,read for the hawk tomorrow :tup:

BlackBike
06-10-2018, 04:01 PM
I need to go to Chicago and pay cheesy to let me use his snowblower someday before I die:hehe:.

Hawk 229cc
06-10-2018, 04:46 PM
not always fun with a walk behind,but with the tractor should be a bit more fun into it,videos give one a good idea how much better a tractor does it ,though some of the big ones do it up i have 24in walk behind will keep running well,with snow blowing alot of it has to do with the weather an if the wind is blowing,if its not blowing in your face its not to bad ,or real wet heavy snow can suk .but with the 42inch 3 stage on the tractor 2x to 3x faster it will be,they now have a 3 stage blower even better then 2 stage ,1 stage are like near history,but ok for people who get a little bit of snow under a foot ,i should be able to get through 3 foot drifts if needed of powder but thats rare even in southern Nh they get alot more north of hear ,going to due a video this winter will post it hear ,end of the drive is allways the worst

BlackBike
06-12-2018, 12:46 PM
not always fun with a walk behind,but with the tractor should be a bit more fun into it,videos give one a good idea how much better a tractor does it ,though some of the big ones do it up i have 24in walk behind will keep running well,with snow blowing alot of it has to do with the weather an if the wind is blowing,if its not blowing in your face its not to bad ,or real wet heavy snow can suk .but with the 42inch 3 stage on the tractor 2x to 3x faster it will be,they now have a 3 stage blower even better then 2 stage ,1 stage are like near history,but ok for people who get a little bit of snow under a foot ,i should be able to get through 3 foot drifts if needed of powder but thats rare even in southern Nh they get alot more north of hear ,going to due a video this winter will post it hear ,end of the drive is allways the worst

Kindly ... i get the gist if it. I know you have a lot to say. Perhaps, slow down a bit and try some more complete, shorter, non run on sentences. I'm interested in what you have to say, but having some trouble understanding. No, im not perfect;)

Darkrider
01-28-2021, 12:12 AM
Bumping this back up to the top to make it easier to find later on. Now that i have more free time on my hands with the change in job situation i figure i may actually get a chance to get these things running this spring. I may inquire about that JD 66 i mentioned earlier in the thread as well as what looks to be an older Craftsman lawn tractor that is at the same location. Ultimately if i do get those two the Craftsman will more then likely be the main mower used in our lot while the RERs will get occasional use and mostly tinkered on. As for the current pair here is a list of what both need from what i recall:

Allis Chalmers:

Carb cleaning

Belts
Kill switch
Seat
steering wheel or revised handlebar set up.

John Deere:

carb cleaning

Seat
Key switch
plastic surround panel that goes around the switch and controls
battery wiring
battery
belts
May fit a low power LED light to it for night use. Since it has a charging system for the battery of course i cannot see why i cant run something like a 15W light bar like you get at princess auto and the like.

As the 5 HP that is in the Allis does burn oil and should probably see an overhaul in the near future i will look more into the idea of getting ahold of the spare 5 Hp or 8 hp engine that i mentioned in the thread earlier. I may also still look into the idea of replacing the mower deck on it with a plow as mentioned before. If i do so i will look more into the idea of getting a snowblower engine with electric start from Princess auto to repower it.

2LZ
01-28-2021, 02:00 PM
I'll be nosing around some garage sales here this Spring for another lawn tractor project. I gave the last one (with a new Lowes cart) to a dear friend who was still wheel barrowing everything up and down here hill. The mower deck was roached so I ditched it. She just needed a gas-driven mule.

Darkrider
01-28-2021, 05:16 PM
I'll be nosing around some garage sales here this Spring for another lawn tractor project. I gave the last one (with a new Lowes cart) to a dear friend who was still wheel barrowing everything up and down here hill. The mower deck was roached so I ditched it. She just needed a gas-driven mule.

Ultimately that is what may happen with the Allis. there is a grass collection cart to it that i can get my hands on. Basically the thought path on this is use one of the other mowers to actually do our property then use the allis to lug the cart around to collect the cuttings. Though i may be able to adapt the cart to one of the others.

Which brings me back to the idea of adapting the Allis to be a plow tractor for snow removal. I kinda have it worked out in my head as to how to fit the plow frame in such a way that it allows the machine to be dual purpose. Though it is kind of pointless to be given i would obviously have the other mowers. None the less the idea would be to use the lifting mechanism from the mower deck for said blade, Probably design the plow frame to accept some sort of weight up front as well so it can dig in. Since it is a rear engine it does have the advantage of having a fair bit of weight on its rear tires.