PDA

View Full Version : Vader build questions

loganlexow
06-09-2018, 04:27 PM
So I bought a Vader. I like a challenge, the underdog. But I have a lot of questions lol. I'm looking at the grom ohlins fork internals. Does anyone know how close the Vader forks are to the grom forks? What about brake pads? Can I run grom EBC pads?

I haven't smiled from a motorcycle so much since my Daytona 675 race bike. Here is the Vader as it sits waiting for rearsets and a new brake disc.

Chinabike
06-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Nice. haven't seen a white one. Where did you get it?

siikmonkee
06-10-2018, 03:06 PM
So I bought a Vader. I like a challenge, the underdog. But I have a lot of questions lol. I'm looking at the grom ohlins fork internals. Does anyone know how close the Vader forks are to the grom forks? What about brake pads? Can I run grom EBC pads?

I haven't smiled from a motorcycle so much since my Daytona 675 race bike. Here is the Vader as it sits waiting for rearsets and a new brake disc.

Hey Logan - the brake pads should be the same, though I replaced the whole caliper instead of using the stock one on these clones. I also purchased aftermarket SS lines, and didn't have an issue with the installation. As far as the forks, I assume you should be ok with the replacement as long as you purchase the parts for a first gen Grom (2014-2016). I've had a lot of success with replacement parts from Partzilla using this model year.

Most of the differences between parts seem to be some of the cosmetics (panels, some lights, things like that) and the fuel delivery of the engine (fuel injection vs carburetor). Other than that, you should be good to go.

EDIT: And mounting an aftermarket exhaust can cause issues, since on some of these bikes there is a mount missing on the swingarm for a low mount exhaust. Looking at yours, you might be ok in this department, but keep it in mind should you ever want to move the exhaust next to the swingarm.

Chinabike
06-10-2018, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=siikmonkee;282899]Hey Logan - the brake pads should be the same, though I replaced the whole caliper instead of using the stock one on these clones. I also purchased aftermarket SS lines, and didn't have an issue with the installation. As far as the forks, I assume you should be ok with the replacement as long as you purchase the parts for a first gen Grom (2014-2016). I've had a lot of success with replacement parts from Partzilla using this model year.

Siikmonkee what caliper did you go with?

siikmonkee
06-11-2018, 01:57 AM
I had to replace the rear caliper when I got the bike, since there was a hole in the other one. Here, let me post the assembly here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/grom125-ac-grom125/rear-brake-caliper

It was a direct fit, didn't have to modify anything. I have very little doubt that the pads would work for the stock caliper as well, though I didn't personally try fitting the old pads.

Chinabike
06-11-2018, 03:44 AM
I had to replace the rear caliper when I got the bike, since there was a hole in the other one. Here, let me post the assembly here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2014/grom125-ac-grom125/rear-brake-caliper

It was a direct fit, didn't have to modify anything. I have very little doubt that the pads would work for the stock caliper as well, though I didn't personally try fitting the old pads.

Did you buy all the part on that link? or just the

CALIPER SUB-ASSY., RR. (NISSIN)
and the PAD SET, RR.

siikmonkee
06-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Did you buy all the part on that link? or just the

CALIPER SUB-ASSY., RR. (NISSIN)
and the PAD SET, RR.

Just the assembly (which is all the parts) and the pads. Looking at the parts this morning, they look extremely similar...I imagine I have some spare parts should I ever need them.

Just ordered the front and rear rotors as well as a test to see if they are direct replacements. I'll post something (probably a new thread, I've been meaning to make a 'beginners guide of all things anklebiter') once I've received them and had a chance to do the install.

maldoj2
06-12-2018, 01:55 PM
this is my bike, every parts you see is from a grom,wheels,exhaust, swig arm disc,handle bar,rear fender, rearlowering kit, every thing from a grom fits

loganlexow
06-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Nice. haven't seen a white one. Where did you get it?

Holy smokes, go camping for one weekend and all of a sudden everything blows up lol. I bought them from Venom Motorsports.

loganlexow
06-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Hey Logan - the brake pads should be the same, though I replaced the whole caliper instead of using the stock one on these clones. I also purchased aftermarket SS lines, and didn't have an issue with the installation. As far as the forks, I assume you should be ok with the replacement as long as you purchase the parts for a first gen Grom (2014-2016). I've had a lot of success with replacement parts from Partzilla using this model year.

Most of the differences between parts seem to be some of the cosmetics (panels, some lights, things like that) and the fuel delivery of the engine (fuel injection vs carburetor). Other than that, you should be good to go.

EDIT: And mounting an aftermarket exhaust can cause issues, since on some of these bikes there is a mount missing on the swingarm for a low mount exhaust. Looking at yours, you might be ok in this department, but keep it in mind should you ever want to move the exhaust next to the swingarm.
This is RAD! Thank you for this! I just purchased an Area 21 floating disc and it got like a glove. I found out the hard way about the exhaust. No worries because I took a cheap pit bike muffler, hacked off the stock header in front of the cat and Bob's your uncle. I think I'll take a chance on the ohlins fork internals. I did swap my fork oil with 20w but now it doesn't rebound lol. This is going to be a corner carver. I may order up a 146 BB tonight too.

loganlexow
06-13-2018, 09:24 AM
What rear sprocket is everyone using? I'd like to drop to a 32t but have had a hard time finding one. I just found a JTR 802.32 in a 428. Or can anyone tell me if a front 420 sprocket can be found in a 17t? That would really make me happy lol.

Edit: NM, I find a front sprocket easily enough. Still don't know about the rear sprocket sizing though.

siikmonkee
06-13-2018, 03:51 PM
What rear sprocket is everyone using? I'd like to drop to a 32t but have had a hard time finding one. I just found a JTR 802.32 in a 428. Or can anyone tell me if a front 420 sprocket can be found in a 17t? That would really make me happy lol.

Edit: NM, I find a front sprocket easily enough. Still don't know about the rear sprocket sizing though.

My current setup on my Hellcat is a 17T front and a 32T back. It picks up +2-3mph on the top end (I'm hitting about 65-67mph tops) but I might go back to the 34T in the rear if I'm gonna be flat with you. I was hitting 60 pretty solid with the stock rear and 17T front without too much problem off the line. Hills are still meh either way, but for normal cruising, that's just about perfect.

loganlexow
06-15-2018, 12:24 PM
My current setup on my Hellcat is a 17T front and a 32T back. It picks up +2-3mph on the top end (I'm hitting about 65-67mph tops) but I might go back to the 34T in the rear if I'm gonna be flat with you. I was hitting 60 pretty solid with the stock rear and 17T front without too much problem off the line. Hills are still meh either way, but for normal cruising, that's just about perfect.

That's great feedback, thank you.

Has anyone solved the motor mounts coming lose yet? I added loctite and a lock washer but they still come lose on the regular.

Here's an updated pic from last night from me fucking around.

siikmonkee
06-15-2018, 01:35 PM
That's great feedback, thank you.

Has anyone solved the motor mounts coming lose yet? I added loctite and a lock washer but they still come lose on the regular.

Here's an updated pic from last night from me fucking around.

Are you using the stock bolts? I swapped the rear one for a 5/16 6" bolt, threw a lock washer on there, and it seems to do 100 times better than the stock length.

For one, it's not stripping the threads or breaking the bolt anymore, lol. But it also seems to stay pretty tight.

loganlexow
06-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Are you using the stock bolts? I swapped the rear one for a 5/16 6" bolt, threw a lock washer on there, and it seems to do 100 times better than the stock length.

For one, it's not stripping the threads or breaking the bolt anymore, lol. But it also seems to stay pretty tight.

Honestly I keep forgetting to stop by the hardware store to grab a new bolt. You make my brain hurt because it's a 6mm bolt through the engine, but you're saying 5/16" which is an 8mm. I've found a few places where the factory used too small of a bolt in too large of a hole. I will make it a point today to get new bolts ugh.

siikmonkee
06-15-2018, 08:12 PM
6MM? I'm surprised, neither of my bikes were that small. I wouldn't have thought that the bolts or holes would be different but I guess that would be worth checking too, since if the bolt is too small, it'd cause all sorts of crazy vibration - which would likely cause the problem you're facing too. But I would imagine that after messing with the bolts that you'd have seen if there was extra room?

Keep us posted, that's really interesting to me.

loganlexow
06-16-2018, 07:22 PM
6MM? I'm surprised, neither of my bikes were that small. I wouldn't have thought that the bolts or holes would be different but I guess that would be worth checking too, since if the bolt is too small, it'd cause all sorts of crazy vibration - which would likely cause the problem you're facing too. But I would imagine that after messing with the bolts that you'd have seen if there was extra room?

Keep us posted, that's really interesting to me.

Nope, I am a dummy, they are 8mm. Still doesn't explain why replacing the bolt solves the loosening. I just tightened both engine bolts again while trying to install rearsets. It's a shame that these come loose so much.

The rearsets would be so rad if the swingarm bolt wasn't too long. I'm trying to track down the length of a grom swingarm bolt. Maybe I'll order one since they're cheap. Here's a pic of how much too long the stock bolt is.

loganlexow
06-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Oh, I forgot that I swapped my bars and mounts for 1 1/8 fat bars. They are a lot better than stock and give me just the right amount of weight on the front tire. The stock bars were comfortable but the front tire pushed when cornering hard. Forgive the mess.

Timpo
06-18-2018, 03:45 PM
EBC makes Big Brake Kit
https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc_brakes_product_feature/ebc-oversize-front-rotor-braking-ability-has-increased-by-over-30/

https://ebcbrakes.com/wp-content/uploads/grom-1.jpg
https://ebcbrakes.com/wp-content/uploads/grom-2.jpg

Timpo
06-18-2018, 03:49 PM

Ohlins kit is available on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/OHLINS-FORK-HONDA-GROM-FDK101/dp/B00TADJTD2

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61XNFqanhpL._SL1024_.jpg

wlfpck
06-20-2018, 03:29 PM
this is my bike, every parts you see is from a grom,wheels,exhaust, swig arm disc,handle bar,rear fender, rearlowering kit, every thing from a grom fits

What exhaust is that? I like how low it sits... may need to swap my exhaust over to that and sell my current one.

loganlexow
06-24-2018, 08:16 PM
EBC makes Big Brake Kit
https://ebcbrakes.com/ebc_brakes_product_feature/ebc-oversize-front-rotor-braking-ability-has-increased-by-over-30/

https://ebcbrakes.com/wp-content/uploads/grom-1.jpg
https://ebcbrakes.com/wp-content/uploads/grom-2.jpg

I did think about the oversized rotor but my intention is to get better brakes. The EBC can only be used with the stock caliper.
I'm currently prepping my big ktm for a trip so buying the ohlins isn't up on the list..... yet. The ohlins will be mine.

I did buy DROW chain adjusters, one for me, one for the wife, but they don't fit. I'm kinda upset by this. I mean they're a pubic hair away from fitting>:(

maldoj2
06-26-2018, 12:41 PM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/272237731011-0-0/s-l140/p.jpg

Honda Grom Aodonly Racing Low Mount Exhaust Honda MSX125 SF 2013 to 2017 (T1)

RedCrowRides
06-30-2018, 05:15 PM
maldoj i really like the seat on your bike, the whole bike looks really well done . Mind telling us where you got it and what it is? ( the seat )

loganlexow
04-03-2019, 05:05 PM
So, I thought this thread died last year because I never got notifications of posts. I happened to be clearing my spam folder and found a notification in there of another post I made. GRRRRRRR!

So, I had a problem with my gas tank. The tack welds that hold the fuel level unit in broke off releasing pressure on the o-ring, puking fuel all over my rear tire while on the freeway. Talk about a pucker moment when trying to stop! Fortunately the only damage when I crashed was a bent brake lever and some scratches on my rearsets.
So, I took the opportunity to order a cheap radial master cylinder, braided brake line, Michelin Power Pure tires. I almost ordered a nice brake caliper/adapter but couldn't remember if the Grom and my Not-Grom have the same brake caliper mount spacing, so I held off for now.
I plan to get a shock still, something with a piggyback that's rebuildable, and to pull the forks apart and see what I am working with on the inside. It sounds like the Ohlins internals wont fit inside our forks, but the preload caps will work. That's a win for me.
Once all the parts get here and fitted I will post pics. Oh, I forgot that I ordered DROW chain adjusters but they didn't fit. I am looking for a machinist to mill only a few mm's from the aluminum, then they should slide right in the swingarm.
Has anyone taken their Vader to the kart track yet?

wlfpck
04-03-2019, 05:39 PM
The stock 125cc vibrates a LOT. That could be why the bolts loosen up. Blue loctite. :P

As for go kart track... check TXMGP. They race on gokart tracks with groms and pit bikes and such. And it's a whole GP series.

http://texasminigp.com/

If you search it on youtube, tons of go pro videos and such.

loganlexow
04-03-2019, 05:43 PM
The stock 125cc vibrates a LOT. That could be why the bolts loosen up. Blue loctite. :P

As for go kart track... check TXMGP. They race on gokart tracks with groms and pit bikes and such. And it's a whole GP series.

http://texasminigp.com/

If you search it on youtube, tons of go pro videos and such.

Yeah, I have had a LOT of problems with vibration. Anything that came loose or removed has gotten a dab of loctite.
I live in Seattle and have been thinking of trying to race in the Cascadia Supermoto mini series. I really wish I lived in a place with a better mini environment but oh well lol.

wlfpck
04-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I have had a LOT of problems with vibration. Anything that came loose or removed has gotten a dab of loctite.
I live in Seattle and have been thinking of trying to race in the Cascadia Supermoto mini series. I really wish I lived in a place with a better mini environment but oh well lol.

I'd do it... but for me, it's the time commitment. I have yet to actually do my engine swap. I have yet to install a BUNCH of parts I've bought. Like had these for 6-12 months in the garage and haven't had a chance to do it.

Then I believe as part of the mini gp rules... every major component bolt has to be wired? Lots of rules that are there for safety, which I get. :D

Lots to do and very little time. :(

loganlexow
04-03-2019, 05:48 PM
I'd do it... but for me, it's the time commitment. I have yet to actually do my engine swap. I have yet to install a BUNCH of parts I've bought. Like had these for 6-12 months in the garage and haven't had a chance to do it.

Then I believe as part of the mini gp rules... every major component bolt has to be wired? Lots of rules that are there for safety, which I get. :D

Lots to do and very little time. :(

LOL!!! I'm not the only lazy one then? I let this little guy sit over the winter. The only reason I touched it was because I finally pulled it out of the garage to ride to work and had the fuel leak.

Whisky
04-03-2019, 11:39 PM
Clone motor mount bolts are 8mm, Groms are 10mm. There is no 6mm bolt.

mjmi11er
05-23-2021, 08:28 AM
logan, cool exhaust!

did you just hack up the stock exhaust and add a can or is that an aftermarket exhaust?