PDA

View Full Version : new 200cc owner

ripman36
01-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Hello all,
I just purchased a 200cc DB It says it is a Ricardo model. I know that the names can interchange. Any history on Ricardo? The manual says it is for an Allroad. Can anyone give me any quick heads up or watch outs. I am about 180lbs and just look to toy around on it this summer. I have road it a few times and changed the oil. The info on the frame says to use 5w50 so I did but could only find synthetic, is this OK.

AZ200cc
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I usually avoid a synthetic in an engine unless it's broken in, And welcome :D

kelly5150
01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Howdee and welcome,
From what National On-line Scooter head honcho tells me, it is the same bike pretty much as any DB but if yours is the Ricardo model it usually comes with a nice exhaust muffler, Gold chain, but has no chrome exhaust pipe cover, all exhaust is black except for the Muffler . It also may have a bunch of bolts that are not plated . He also told me that the componants are not put together as well as a Roketa or AllRoad , but this is coming from a Dealer wanting to sell me bikes, so of course he is going to tell me that the other bikes are better made, but they may well be ?
I like the looks of the Ricardo the best out of all the DB's for what thats worth . Maybe you'll let us know how well it is put together ?

Seconds on the no synthetic yet .

Make sure you check ALL the bolts and I mean all of them to make sure everything is Kosher . One of my bikes had a loose Carburetor top so make sure that is screwed down good too . These things travel a millions miles before they hit your door , and Quality control may have been out that day .

Good luck and cheers !

Kelly out

ChiGongJitsu
01-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Get oil that is specifically for motorcycles, don't use car oil, as car oil does not lubricate the transmission.

You can use different oil viscosity depending on the temperature of where you live.

If you just make reasonable demands of these bikes, they'll hold up. Also make sure you can do your own maintennance (oil changes, chain lube, chain tension adjustments etc...). You can probably get a motorcycle shop to do the valve adjustments when the times comes, but it's been done by owners on here before.

Keep us posted!

ripman36
01-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks all, I'm looking forward to the spring!

coleary15
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
if u plan on any jumping..buy a new shock and an extra inner-tube...and keep ur spokes tight...break it in hard...dont baby it...

mrhyak
01-30-2008, 11:11 PM
As was already mentioned, don't use synthetics during break-in. Air cooled engines need to 'wear'. After break-in it should be ok..... Some people say synthetics will cause engine oil leaks? I don't know, but that is what I've heard.

I made the mistake on my Corvair after the engine was rebuilt. I put synthetic in it at the 500 mile change and found the rings didn't seat properly and it took forever for it to break in....so it would smoke.... I found out the hard way.. Every time that turbo kicked in it would also blow smoke....ugg.

FWIW.