PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - With Questions! Experts needed!

MikeTheGoalie
01-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Hello all,

I got a few questions. I am new to the dirt bike scene. My nephew purchased a Roketa RDS-200 about a year ago. He ran the poop out of it. He was going through a dust patch and the bike died. Never started again.

I took it apart and I found the valves kinda stuck.. I cleaned the entire engine and put it back together. Now it sounds like it wants to start, but never does.

My question is.. is there a way to adjust the timing on these bikes?! I can't find anything on that..

Also - it's getting gas, carb was rebuilt. Spark is good, new plug as well gap'd .. Just wont turn over. Fuses are ok.. ANY IDEAS?

ALSO!

I got a steel on a DB36! Either that or a "hummer".. they look the same.. This is my bike that I ride around now. I am getting some noise from the motor. I checked the owners manual. It mentions something about if you hear noise from the engine - it is the "AIR VALVE".. and you need to adjust them.

I can get steps 1 and 2 done. It says to remove the caps on the left hand side of the case, and turn the crank till you see TDC.. I got that part ok.. but the next step says take the two caps off the head and adjust the gap... only problem is I don't see any "caps" on the head at all that I can remove...

can anyone help me with these questions!?

I am going to surf this site now. I've seen some cool things on here and great ideas. I plan on being a on here a ton in the coming months! :)

Thanks !!

I'll try posting pics here.. they are from Myspace so not sure if they will come up..

http://a713.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_f8642b8d545b07813f9a556676f72b10.jpg

Here is a video I just made of it after seeing some of your videos I just made me one.. hahahahahah

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=155029357000050524&hl=en

rich_e
01-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Nice looking bike. The video was cool. The "Air Valves" are the intake and exhaust valves. Judging by the directions they're giving you, set TDC, remove "caps". They're telling you to adjust the valves. Only the overhead cam engines have caps, since you don't have any, you've got the pushrod engine. So take of the valve cover and have it. One thing I'm not sure about is the valve gap. I think my manual says .05MM, however I've seen a lot of people say .005MM.

MikeTheGoalie
01-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Rich_e!

That is what I though! :) I put in thicker oil, and now the valves are nice and quiet! :)

Jim
01-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Cool video :)

ChiGongJitsu
01-27-2008, 07:56 PM
:twisted: (rocking out to KoRn) :twisted: Good editing on the video

MikeTheGoalie
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Ah Thanks! I just threw it together in like no time. :)

I love that song! I think I should name my bike "Devils little sister"..

But then again.. I wouldn't want to be riding the Devils little sister...

hehehehe

Jim
01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I was going to say something but I've censored myself :twisted:

liverchip
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Welcome! As for the the dead Roketa, if the motor's turning over, I'd check the compression.

MikeTheGoalie
01-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I think its got compression.. I can hear it "puffing" out the back..

liverchip
01-30-2008, 01:24 AM
What do youmean by "valves were kind of stuck"?

MikeTheGoalie
01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Hard to explain. But the assembly that sits on top of the cam has like 2 rocker arms. They look like they open like scissors.. and they were stuck in the wide open position. As I squeezed them together, they just came loose and the arms sat back down on the lobe of the cam..

So now when I try to start it, I can hear the compression.. which it wasn't doing before cause the valves were not opening and closing..