PDA

View Full Version : Vader OEM Sprockets low Quality?

RedCrowRides
06-29-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm wrapping up my list of parts to have on hand ready to replace on the Vader when it gets here ,and one of the last ones was sprockets .I see a lot of posts about people changing the sprockets /ratios for more top end, or conversely for more power to wheelie & stunt with.Thats all fine but I've got a pretty longish list already so what I am asking is, are the OEM sprockets of "Chinesium" or something and so soft that they just wear out super fast or outright break compared to "name brand" stuff and ought to be replaced right off due to that ,or are they safe to run until i figure out what my favorite things to do on it are going to be and then make the changes after that will best gear it for those activities? I do already have a nice o-ring name brand chain on my list .

imapdog
06-29-2018, 05:09 PM
I'm wrapping up my list of parts to have on hand ready to replace on the Vader when it gets here ,and one of the last ones was sprockets .I see a lot of posts about people changing the sprockets /ratios for more top end, or conversely for more power to wheelie & stunt with.Thats all fine but I've got a pretty longish list already so what I am asking is, are the OEM sprockets of "Chinesium" or something and so soft that they just wear out super fast or outright break compared to "name brand" stuff and ought to be replaced right off due to that ,or are they safe to run until i figure out what my favorite things to do on it are going to be and then make the changes after that will best gear it for those activities? I do already have a nice o-ring name brand chain on my list .

the stock front sprocket is very good quality, but piss poor gear ratio.
the stock rear sprocket is ok quality as not much torque is applied to them it being a 125cc, and ok to remain on bike. if you choose to replace the rear be prepared for using breakerbar to loosen the bolts and will need new bolts and loctite for the jtr replacement rear sprocket.
front: https://www.ebay.com/itm/428-17T-17mm-428-Size-17-Teeth-Front-Sprocket-For-Motorcycle-ATV-Dirt-Pit-bike/232168848263?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
rear: Jtr269.34

cbrfxr67
06-29-2018, 05:14 PM
From what I've read and also riding mine, first gear really is useless. I'm hoping the 17/34 combo will make a difference.

RedCrowRides
06-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Ah, well i can hang with $7.49 ,I'll go ahead and add it to the list and order it on up.
I 'm guessing the 17 toof is what everyone switches over to ? I put some on my list, but still aint figured out how new handlebars bars for my Sportster was only 45$, but bars for the Grom /Vader is $65 (and up ), lmao.

humanbeing
06-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Most chinese sprocket are using
20CrMo https://baike.baidu.com/item/20CrMo or 20CrMnTi http://www.steelnumber.com/en/equivalent_steel_iron_eu.php?zname_id=5984 as Front
45# http://www.steelnumber.com/en/equivalent_steel_iron_eu.php?zname_id=2884 as Rear

Chinabike
06-29-2018, 08:58 PM
front: https://www.ebay.com/itm/428-17T-17mm-428-Size-17-Teeth-Front-Sprocket-For-Motorcycle-ATV-Dirt-Pit-bike/232168848263?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
rear: Jtr269.34

ditto

siikmonkee
07-01-2018, 10:25 AM
From what I've read and also riding mine, first gear really is useless. I'm hoping the 17/34 combo will make a difference.

Just to post results for before and after here, I've experimented with this on my two bikes and can confirm a very noticeable difference. Before I begin the comparison, just to note I am 230 lbs and 5'10", which definitely affects the performance of the bikes - so keep in mind your mileage may vary pending on your weight and height.

First, the Icebear Little Monster - came stock with a 15T front sprocket and a 34T rear. Acceleration was 'decent' enough, though I would say that I was having to shift too often. Torque with this setup is decent, I would probably put the 15T back on and a larger rear sprocket if I was doing some mountain work, but it's not the best for cruising on streets. I would say I was hitting maybe 20-25mph by the time I was switching from 2nd to 3rd, and it topped out at 45 on normal roads and 50 with a slight downhill.

I switched the front sprocket to a 17T after upgrading the carb (Highly recommend doing the carb first, I'll explain with the hellcat) - it was immediately noticable. The bottom end is affected the most - you'll be about 15mph before having to shift from first to second, about 25-30mph before having to shift to third. This makes cruising a lot more enjoyable, since your bike isn't screaming just to go down the road. The Icebear will now top out at about 50 on flat roads, and I have gotten it to go up to 60 with a downhill and tucked - I don't recommend this, as the engine sounds like it's about to blow up at these revs.

Now for the TaoTao Hellcat - I did a little more experimentation with this one. Stock, the bike had a 14T on the front and a 34T on the back. Initial impressions are about the same as they were with the Icebear - I don't recall a noticeable torque difference between the 14T and the 15T, though I admit I didn't really pay much attention to it. I swapped the sprocket within about 100 miles on this one.

The big difference was not changing out the carb before changing to the 17T sprocket. You want to make your bike quiet, but in some aspects faster? This is what keeping the stock airbox will do. You'll still see the change in the low end, but getting to shifting revs is drastically slower, and hitting your top end takes work. With the stock airbox, top speed was 50 - but it took a long stretch of road to get there.

Once the carb was replaced, life was immediately injected into the bike. Acceleration was definitely much better, but I even noticed a top end change too. For some reason, the Hellcat will easily reach 55 and still have a little room. I've gone 65 on this bike, but admittedly I wasn't using the engine to do so once I hit 60 - I pulled the clutch and let it ride in neutral. Stability at these speeds is dependent on whether you've messed with the stock adjustments (which if you've swapped out your sprocket, you likely have), but my experience has been buttery smooth.

While I am very happy with the bikes as they sit, I will probably try a 32T sprocket in the rear to see what that does. I have a few hills in the area, so it might not stay - but it's easy enough to swap back and forth so why not?

RedCrowRides
07-01-2018, 11:12 AM
siik, just to be asking were you running stock or aftermarket exhaust on these tests? I'm think you could pick up either a few mph or some increase in getting thru the revs to shift points if you run a freer flowing exhaust to compliment the carb change and it's increased flow , that said then again we are talking a 10HP motor so even if an exhaust were to add to both , it isn't gonna be huge but thats the challenge and the fun with these bikes ,trying to squeeze all there is out of what there is .

I'm 6 foot but only weigh 160-170 and I seem to read here of a lot of 60 to 65 mph top speeds ,60 being more common but then there are a lot of variables as to state of builds doing this. I can't wait to get mine in and start tinkering and riding and see what i can do .

wlfpck
07-01-2018, 07:19 PM
For the front sprocket, I'm running a 17T front sprocket that is for a Grom. In terms of cheap metal...

Been using this for a while and no issues so far.

Current performance mods are:

VM22 carb
Exhaust
17T sprocket

The exhaust and carb REALLY help.

RedCrowRides
07-02-2018, 09:33 AM
For the front sprocket, I'm running a 17T front sprocket that is for a Grom. In terms of cheap metal...

Been using this for a while and no issues so far.

Current performance mods are:

VM22 carb
Exhaust
17T sprocket

The exhaust and carb REALLY help.

Thats the exact set up i have ordered ,the exhaust is an Aodonly off Ebay
,mind telling me what carb jet you settled on so i can drop that in as start point ? i ordered the jet kit for the carb ,maybe what comes in it works but i wasnt sure and the jet kit was less than 10 bucks, but you are running the exact carb and a pipe so what worked for you ought to give me a good baseline as far as the main jet.,if you used one other than what the carb came with .

wlfpck
07-02-2018, 03:30 PM
I think I kept the stock pilot jet. main jet I think I'm at 120? In all honesty, don't really remember.

Also... this is for my location which is pretty much sea level.