PDA

View Full Version : My 200 gy 6(pics, and video on page 3)

Jim
01-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I've uploaded quite a few photos of my GY6 to my gallery, you can see them here: http://chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=7145

The bike isn't quite done yet, I need to get a horn, front signals, and the bolts for the headlight fairing and taillight (I got a few wrong parts, they're sorting it out for me and then I will pick them up)...

quick preview if you didn't go to the gallery:

/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7220&g2_serialNumber=1

ejcycles
01-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Hey Jim
Where is the tail light? I see where it mounts, did it come with one? More pics Please! I looked through your gallery, nice bike!!

Jim
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks Bruce, I do have the taillight, but they get the "light kit" stuff all together separately, I'm not sure how you guys(A.L.) do it, anyways, I didn't get the metric bolts I need to mount it, the 2 that hold that plate there don't fit in the taillight, and I need a few more bolts for the front fender... Coast to Coast Motorsports has just moved warehouses, so they are still sorting out where everything is... So essentially I am waiting on a few more metric bolts, and the horn and front signals (they accidently gave my 4 rear ones, and I believe the fronts are different on this one)... They're getting it all sorted out though, and I will post an update once I get the few parts I need and finish the bike off :) I suppose I could get one more now, I've got the rear signals mounted, and the rear brake, and everything on the bars all adjusted and tightened including the mirrors, but I'll hold off till I get the rest of the stuff. The swingarm is a 1/4 inch taller, it looks like more to me, but I measured and it's 1/4 inch... I didn't check if it was thicker though...

AZ200cc
01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Good looking machine, Have You fired it up yet???

Jim
01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Not yet, going to finish putting it together and change the oil, then I'll do that. Got the battery all ready to go. Coast to Coast has all the lights and stuff I need ready, but they're still looking for the gy5 rear rack they're giving me to put on here, so I can't go get my stuff yet.

AZ200cc
01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Cool, I would have been impatient and fired it up right away :lol: Does it look like thye have changed the rear shock set-up or not??

MATT
01-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Does that have the ohc or the ohv and for that matter do any of the counterbalanced engines have the ohc engine?

liverchip
01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Looks like an adjustable clicker on the rear shock. Is it just for show?

Jim
01-30-2008, 08:57 PM
I think it is the same counter balanced motor everyone gets nowadays...

The rear shock has an adjuster thing on the top of it, there is a cylinder next to it, which looks like it may have something to do with the shock, but the manual makes no mention of it... It does have a dog-bone setup on it, but I think it is different... This is the best picture of that I have so far, I will get more when I'm done...

/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7232&g2_serialNumber=1

frostbite
01-31-2008, 08:15 AM
there is a cylinder next to it, which looks like it may have something to do with the shock

That's a remote reservoir. I believe it provides more oil capacity for the shock.

Jim
02-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Ahh thanks...

I got it more finished... I went back and got the parts I needed, except I still don't have any bolts to put the front fender on with... so I will have to go find those at an auto parts store... Other then that, I need to set the rear axle chain tension properly. The only other thing is an electrical issue I need to sort out...

The bike will not start with the clutch out, even in neutral, but will start in any gear, as long as the clutch is in. (edit, turns out this is what the diode is for)

CrazyCarl
02-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Jim,

Congrats on your addition to the stable! :wink:

She looks good in red and black. Sorry to hear about the parts mix up. Please let us know how long it takes for you to receive them. Looking forward to hearing about your future experiences.

CC

Jim
02-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Thanks Carl, I got the parts I needed now, minus 3 metric bolts, but I am just going to get them from a local auto parts store, rather then drive back the 40 minutes or so to get to the dealer. They've been really good though :) I think I should have it all finished up tomorrow, and hopefully I can figure out that electrical issue.

CrazyCarl
02-01-2008, 06:01 AM
there is a cylinder next to it, which looks like it may have something to do with the shock

That's a remote reservoir. I believe it provides more oil capacity for the shock.
/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7232&g2_serialNumber=1

If I'm looking at the wrong thing, let me know but if you're talking about the almost vertical cylinder in the above picture which is attached to the frame and with the black hoses attached to it then it's the rear-brake master cylinder which means you have a hydraulic rear disc brake. One black hose runs along the rear swing-arm to the calipers, looks like you got two "pot" calipers. The other runs up into the brake fluid reservior.

Looking at your gallery (nice gallery by the way) I noticed a picture of the shock from the left side of the bike and noticed what I'm guessing to be a wiring shroud but it may still be a bottle.
CC

Jim
02-01-2008, 06:11 AM
http://ridereport.net/temp/js1024_HPIM0835.jpg

I was actually talking about the cylinder in this picture, just this side of the rear shock

CrazyCarl
02-01-2008, 06:11 AM
But... The kill switch doesn't do anything, on or off, the bike will still start. The bike will not start with the clutch out, even in neutral, but will start in any gear, as long as the clutch is in. I think that is probably normal and intended though... However I need to find out what is up with the kill switch.

Not sure about the kill switch but that is a problem. Go through your harnesses and make sure they're all seated okay and no pins are bent or broken. Does the manual have a wiring diagram?

You can solve the clutch start problem quite easily and save yourself some worry in the future. On the base of the clutch lever assembly you'll notice two wires (usually with flat L-shaped terminals) connecting into a switch built into the back of the lever base. Wire those two together and you'll be able to start the bike regardless of clutch lever position.

While you're at it, take a quick look at the side-stand hinge for any strange wiring. Some bikes only allow you to start when the stand is up.

CC

CrazyCarl
02-01-2008, 06:45 AM
I was actually talking about the cylinder in this picture, just this side of the rear shock

Yeah that one could be a shock res. HAve you taken off the plastics yet to get a clear view of the assembly?

CC

Jim
02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I had them off yesterday, but I didn't even think to look at that, I was just putting in the battery and hooking up the rear brake switch...

Jim
02-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Never mind the question about the diode, I figured it out... The diode connects to the gear sensor and starter relay, it let's it know if it's in neutral so that the clutch doesn't need to be pulled in to start...

I did however break it, the little metal tab pulled out of the rubber part, and it ended up not staying in very well after that, I guess the rubber tabs that hold it wore... Well I had already done this to my gy5, but it was working, but I tried using it on the 6, and ended up breaking it too... Coast to Coast was really great though, I called them up, and they said I could come get 2 diodes (one for my 5, and one for the 6)... No charge. When I get the bike all ready and stuff I will write up a positive review of dealing with them, but for now I'm focusing on the bike.

It turns out I just didn't really know what the kill switch should be doing... It won't let the bike actually start, but the starter motor will go with it set to off... I am used to it doing nothing, my vulcan doesn't do anything, and since I wasn't actually planning on starting the bike, just tapping it to see if it would go I didn't realize it, my bad... So technically I have it all done now, I need to adjust the chain tension, and start it, will get pictures soon.

Jim
02-02-2008, 12:30 AM
/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7262&g2_serialNumber=1

More pictures: http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=7242

Have it all ready to go, set the chain, silenced the beeping winkers, disabled flashing signals when brakes applied, and checked all the electrical stuff, everything is working great. Now I just need to fire it up, and register it. :)

Jim
02-03-2008, 06:41 PM
/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7286&g2_serialNumber=2

Got around to firing it up today, no issues. Now I only have to get it registered and modify it so I can put the rear rack on the bike :)

http://chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=7275

Jim
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Just a little update, got it registered today, no issues :)

Some differences I have noticed compared to my GY5.

-My 5 had an alarm and remote starter, this one did not (I don't mind)
-This one has fork gaurds
-The seat is wider then on the 5, but harder, but it may just need breaking in
-The swingarm is 1/4" taller :)
-The frame continues all the way around under the motor :)
-Counterbalanced motor (163fml -2m)
-Nicer looking muffler / heat shields
-No skid plate, but frame protects motor pretty well
-Better quality lighting all around
-Plastic is colored, not painted :)
-Stickers are not clear coated over :)
-No goofy stickers :)
-The rear of the frame is a "sub-frame" bolted on behind the motor (behind that vertical bar behind the motor)
-CST tires vs KingStone
-Larger gas tank
-Updated styling
-Air box is different intake is up top, under the seat
-Tool bag is leather, supposed to be on top behind the seat :S
-No rack, but I got a gy5 rack I am modifying to fit
-Rear foot pegs "hide away" better, though the old ones protected the rear master cylinder

Overall I really like the bike, and Coast to Coast was great... I just need the weather to clear up so I can play with it now.

ambassador
02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Jim,
Looks like Lifan might be paying attention to some of their comsumers wants and needs, good looking bike...

Jim
02-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Here it is with the rack finished being modified and mounted...

/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7357&g2_serialNumber=1

/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7362&g2_serialNumber=1

The rack is off a gy5, so we had to remove the tabs where the reflectors all mounted, and the helmet lock tab (the bike has these elsewhere), and find a way to mount it to the bike without cutting the plastic...

I also got to take the bike up and down the street a few times, it is a lot smoother with the counter balanced engine, the bike has pretty much no rattles, the speedo behaves a lot better then on my 5, and appears to be more accurate but I haven't checked it yet. It seems to run good too :)

Lifanrider
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
great job mounting that rack. that is a nice looking bike!!

liverchip
02-24-2008, 06:33 PM
That is very nice!

Jim
02-24-2008, 06:40 PM

culcune
02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Very nice with the rack..."nice rack" LOL

mrhyak
02-24-2008, 07:09 PM
A very sharp looking bike!

Jim
02-25-2008, 02:02 AM
Thanks :), I've still got to put on my hand gaurds and grips, and my "We don't care how they do it in Japan" sticker... I also need to mount my "tool kit" somewhere, as it is just a leather bag that is supposed to mount where my rack is. Other then that I think it's good for now...

The only problem is with the rack, now it is more difficult to remove the seat and side covers, as the two bolts that hold on the front of the rack are what hold the seat on, and part of what holds on the plastic... That's not really a big deal though.

CrazyCarl
02-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Nice thing about the rack design is most of the weight looks like it would be loaded on the rear frame rails. Not considering style, how would you rate the quality of the plastics?

CC

Jim
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks Carl, yeah when I was figuring out how to mount it that was one consideration along with not cutting up the plastic, it looks like it should balance it pretty good on the rack...

About the plastic, it seems good to me, I took the bike out today to get gas, but I ran out and had to push it home... I was just about here and there was a bit of a down hill slope, so I hopped up on the left foot peg and sort of balanced it and coasted as far as I could... Just as it was slowing down I guess I bumped the shifter cause the wheel locked and I slowly dropped it on the right side, I didn't even see a scratch, and It must've been laying on the end of the bar and the plastic... I had assumed I would've broke it, but I guess it is tougher then I thought...

After getting some gas, I found out this bike is way easier to do a smoke show with then my gy5 for whatever reason, maybe the cst tires instead of kingstones, how much air is in them, or maybe I can reach the ground better... So... I'm checking with coast to coast for the cost of a replacement rear tire, and if it isn't too bad I am thinking of making a video smoking the rear tire right off... I know... I know... silly redneck...

AZ200cc
02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Smoke em if You got em 8)

CrazyCarl
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Smoke em if You got em 8)

+1 on that. If you do smoke em' be sure to get some video! :D

CC

Jim
02-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Got it, just got to get it uploaded :D I'll post it when it's up...

Those CST tires wear a lot faster then the King Stone, but I guess that means they are better on the road... I can only do that about once more then I'll need to replace it, I do have a spare kingstone, and I'm checking on getting a new CST :D

Jim
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNf4tnfp8s

:lol:

Can we embed youtube in this forum?

UjNf4tnfp8s
[youtube=UjNf4tnfp8s]
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjNf4tnfp8s&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjNf4tnfp8s&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

AZ200cc
02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice!!! :D

It smoked it up pretty easy it seems.

Jim
02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Well Coast to Coast Motorsports got me a spare, so when it dries up out here I will finish the tire off :)

culcune
02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I watched and commented on the video, btw. The music is very haunting; like who is going to get axed to death, next!! 8O Phew, it's only a tire getting killed (growing up with 70's and 80's slasher films...) :roll:

Jim
02-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah I saw, thank you :)

The music is from that website, xzess.org, they make "music packs" for independant games... basically they make music which I can legally use, and not get sued by the riaa for... which is nice... Youtube automaticly detects copywritten music somehow now when you upload a video

Jim
06-15-2008, 08:53 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/truckgotstuck/Lifan%20LF%20200%20GY6/gy6low004.jpg

A bit more tinkering... The bike has new "pro-grip" hand grips which are a lot nicer then stock, and it is lower... We took out the big stock gy6 air shock and replaced it with a shock from a gy5, however it was too short and the top mount was wrong, so we customized the shock a bit to fit... I can now put both feet flat on the ground, and we also had to cut out about 3 or 4 inches from the kickstand. Stickers have also been removed.

Jim
07-06-2008, 08:57 PM
A little update, took the rack off, and built a whole new one, it fits the shape of the bike better, and is further back from the seat which will prevent the possibility of landing on it if coming off a large bump or jump

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/truckgotstuck/Lifan%20LF%20200%20GY6/gy6002.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/truckgotstuck/Lifan%20LF%20200%20GY6/gy6003.jpg

Jim
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/truckgotstuck/Lifan%20LF%20200%20GY6/gy6_1.jpg

Mods from stock: new hand grips, custom shock lowering bike, custom rear rack, de-stickered, trunk added... Still want to get some street tires (Cheng Shin Barracudas possibly), and upgrade the chain slack adjustment setup.