PDA

View Full Version : Rider from Texas

BigEd
07-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Have been a rider since 8 years old (43 years) and mostly motocross. Had one street bike, a Harley but don't hate on me for that. I have wanted to get back on a bike since giving the Harley to my son 3 years ago and have become intrigued by the thought of the SSR and CSC bikes. I am. however, a little scepticable of the Chinese bikes after a bad experience with an Orion pit bike I got my son a decade ago! Convince me that my fears are unfounded, please.

My thought is that I can get a new bike at the cost of a mediocre used bike, and without the hidden issues of someone else's mistreatment. Am I thinking correctly?

Well, I hope to be around for a while and learn a few things......maybe even get another bike and ride with some of y'all.

cbrfxr67
07-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Interesting story! What HD did you have? Just curious. I recently gave my son my Electraglide and picked up a Vader 125cc. I've had a couple of cgmoto scooters that were ok after I went through them, an Xspeed scooter(United Motors I think) that I really enjoyed and now the vader that seems it will be loads of little bike fury and fun. I think it's just taking care of them and giving them a bit more attention. Fasteners seem to be turd worthy on the chinese bikes I've had. I think qc is improving as time goes on.
What are you looking to get? Where you at in Texas? Seems there's tons of cheap bikes available here in Houston right now.

BigEd
07-12-2018, 07:15 AM
I had an older sportster that I built, my first foray into street bikes. As far as what I'm looking at getting, probably the CSC SG250 Cafe racer to start because it's inexpensive and they seem to stand behind their products. I also like the RX3 but it seems a little under-powered (then again, I'd rather see them all as 450's).

This all started because I wanted to get a play bike to rip around in the dirt again....just not race again. I really like the SSR SR189 as a pit bike.....as a tall guy I don't fit on the standard pit bikes.

I am still undecided though, if I could find a used TT250 or any of the others mentioned I would give it a try. Time will tell and you'll probably see me tooling around one of these days soon........

pistolclass
07-12-2018, 09:45 AM
If you were in CT.... God only knows why anyone would voluntarily go to Ct but if you were I would toss you the keys and say bring it back in a couple of days. The bike is really competent. It isn't perfect out of the box but with some minor adjustments it will be great. And for under $1500 I let everyone borrow it. If it come back... Fine. If it doesn't oh well I'm not out $6000. I would trust my hawk on a 1000 mile ride...my butt however would never be the same.

Weldangrind
07-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Welcome, BigEd!

Sport Rider
07-12-2018, 12:43 PM
your fears are only somewhat founded. but keep in mind that the reliability of Chinese bikes has improved over recent years. I have found that they are up to the quality of "what day of the week it was built". I feel like I got a good one, but others were perhaps not quite so lucky. CSC has better quality standards than what I got though. mine is a hawk.

you have to keep in mind that there will be minor little problems with the bike. it's a working man's bike. as long as you like to tinker, you'd be fine. Yesterday I was riding to work and my kick starter came off. I discovered the bolt vibrated out and it was loose. I just smiled and shook my head a bit. told my wife when I got home I like owning a bike that makes me smile. LOL

I don't want it to sound all bad though. we often hear online of only the negative experiences, and I personally think there are far more good ones than bad. you just have to know going in what you are getting and then go from there.

my sons would never get along well with chinabikes. they grew up in a generation where everything works whenever they call on it. they could not handle little things that need repairs or replacement.

keep in mind though that most of the things with my bike have been self induced. I've gone down and broke things. the case with the kickstart was my fault for not tightening it and using locktite on it. I removed it to get the side cover off for a repair to the shifter shaft. I put it back together, so it was on me.

I only have 1500 miles on my hawk so far. I doubt I'll get 20k out of it. but if I get 10k, I'll be happy. any mileage after that will be bonus.

Megadan
07-12-2018, 02:26 PM
First of all, Welcome!

Had one street bike, a Harley but don't hate on me for that.
Unlike any other bike community I have run into, this is one where we don't judge, or even care, what you ride or rode in the past. Most of us have, or still do, ride other big name bikes from every manufacturer you can name.

I have wanted to get back on a bike since giving the Harley to my son 3 years ago and have become intrigued by the thought of the SSR and CSC bikes. I am. however, a little scepticable of the Chinese bikes after a bad experience with an Orion pit bike I got my son a decade ago! Convince me that my fears are unfounded, please.
As the others have said so far, the quality thing is kind of hit or miss, but as a whole not entirely that bad. Some things require upgrading as time goes on. The fastener quality being one of them. My last Hawk got new/better bolts as time went on, but never once had a fastener fail. It would be things like, replacing the bolts holding the brake calipers on with grade 10.9 - the stock stuff is grade 8.8 (SAE grade 5 equivalent).

Being an old and long time Harley owner, you will understand the importance of loctite on bolts as well as checking the fasteners from time to time. That gives you a leg up over some of the younger or newer riders that get into these bikes.

The CSC bikes seem to be a slightly better quality over the Hawks and Bashans many of us ride, but they are also built out of the same basic stuff many of our cheaper bikes are made from. What you really get with CSC over any of these other brands is actual dealer support within the U.S., and they really do stand behind their products - and are very nice and helpful.

As far as reliability, if you take the time to go through the bike when you first get it, make a few key and inexpensive upgrades, and simply check and maintain the bike, they will last quite a long time. There are several Hawks that have many thousands of miles on them, and a TT250 member here I believe has already crossed the tens of thousands of miles mark with just routine maintenance. I was using my last Hawk as a daily commuter to get to work until it was stolen, racking on tons of miles in a short time frame, and it did great.

In short, you get out what you put in lol.

My thought is that I can get a new bike at the cost of a mediocre used bike, and without the hidden issues of someone else's mistreatment. Am I thinking correctly?

Your thinking is close. How I like to describe it is, getting a used bike without the wear and tear. You will have to tinker more than you would with say a brand new Honda, but everything is new.